Dynaflash8

Is hobby interest in pre-WWII cars Dying?

I think this is a Roadmaster but heres a good idea of what Dyaflash's car would look like without skirts and with red wheels.....

3333971315_cdea36ca5d_z.jpg

I like the first car but I think I like how this one looks a little better without fender skirts. The black top helps too. Just a personal preference so I dont mean to offend Dynaflash or say his car isnt pretty too. I love his car too. I just find that on light color cars a bit of contrast seems to really help like the black top and red wheels. Just something to show some details and make it look interesting. The wheels would be hard to change color but it might be worth taking some pictures without the skirts just so a buyer can see. Not everyone knows these cars like experts but they know what they like to look at and I have learned you have to get them interested in the car at a glance when your selling. People on the internet have a very short attention span! LOL!

• Like 4

By the way, I saw you had a '33 Plymouth I think.  Did you used to live in Baltimore but moved to California?

Not me Dyna...............

and the other take on your beautiful car...........you want to cash out and invest the money. Maybe you should consider just letting your daughters deal with it. I know you dont want to do that, but it would be a gift and not something for you to worry about any longer.

Easier to go into a home, if need be, wo a huge bank acct. It will all get eaten up anyway. You could then continue to enjoy the car for a good bit longer.

Have a few properties and here in NJ prices are still depressed, unlike some other parts of the country. My take at this point is to just continue to rent them out and let my kids deal with it when Im gone.

sometimes the change needs to occur in our attitudes and how we perceive life.

Make lemonade from dem lemmons!

I also found this one in that looking around on Google......

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1939-BUICK-ROADMASTER-CONVERTIBLE-SEDAN-115904

Restored Roadmaster convertible sedan with slantback. Is that rare? Sold for $51,000. Also looks to have red wheels and if thats how the factory did it maybe they would be OK on Dynaflash's car. Just thinking out loud here. I will stop now. Good luck with the sale!!!!

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, billorn said:

I think this is a Roadmaster but heres a good idea of what Dyaflash's car would look like without skirts and with red wheels.....

3333971315_cdea36ca5d_z.jpg

I like the first car but I think I like how this one looks a little better without fender skirts. The black top helps too. Just a personal preference so I dont mean to offend Dynaflash or say his car isnt pretty too. I love his car too. I just find that on light color cars a bit of contrast seems to really help like the black top and red wheels. Just something to show some details and make it look interesting. The wheels would be hard to change color but it might be worth taking some pictures without the skirts just so a buyer can see. Not everyone knows these cars like experts but they know what they like to look at and I have learned you have to get them interested in the car at a glance when your selling. People on the internet have a very short attention span! LOL!

38-LaSalle-Conv-Sdn-DV-09-AP-01-800.jpg.cf077c3a47886ddb06509fcd1eef59bb.jpg 

I partially re-restored  this 1938 LaSalle for a friend - interesting car, I would say it stopped into Coachcraft or perhaps one of he other Hollywood shops for some early customizing  - that dual cowl windshield for example is a giant solid casting  and chrome was all original and still is except bumpers and hubcaps (original owner was Ginger Rogers)

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

I hesitate to enter this discussion except I am a pre war driver and I am in the market for an open car.  Fender skirts and wheel colours mean nothing to me, what hurts the desirability of Earl's Special to me is that it is not a big car such as a Roadmaster or Packard Super Eight.

When I wanted a brass era car everyone said get a Ford and they were right from a practical point of view.  I spent more money and bought a mid sized car, a Buick, and when I attend a meet the car gives me a presence/ status.  Possibly silly but that is how I feel.  The Buick is also more comfortable than a Ford, that is a bonus to me.

I would buy Earl's Special, I even like the colour, but to overcome my prejudges it would have to be grand theft and I do not know Earl well enough to suggest it.

Best of luck with your car, respectfully, Gary

1 hour ago, Dynaflash8 said:

Matt Harwood is too far away from me (1) and he, too, wants to change the car.  As for Ebay it starts at super low price with no bidders (2)  This isn't a sedan, or even a coupe.  It is a very, very rare convertible sedan.  By the way, he advertises on eBay to get people to call. He doesn't expect to sell his cars on eBay.

Earl,

It really depends on if you really want to sell it, or if you just want to try to sell it. I think the problem is you want to sell it for more than the current market dictates that the car is worth. You know it is not going to bring what you have invested in it, and need to be realistic about what the current market value is. Old Cars Price Guide seems to indicate that your car is probably worth between $31,500 and $49,000. It is not a perfect guide, but one source of data. Your seller is starting the bidding at $29,500 on Ebay. That will seldom get a bid, and probably few calls. If he wants to sell it, he should list it on Ebay with a starting price of $1000 and a reasonable reserve. You really should consider consigning it with RM or a similar auction company. Ship it to them and they will get it sold. I understand you don't want the hassle of dealing with potential buyers, but the simple fact that the car is being offered by a dealer also discourages some potential buyers who realize that they are paying a higher price simply because the dealer is making a profit. You would be able to sell it easier if you got it back from the dealer and simply advertised it yourself at your price on this forum, Hemmings, the Buick Bugle, and Antique Automobile.  

After doing a bit of searching on completed listings, I see that the most the car has been bid to on Ebay previously was $33,433.33. Seldom do additional Ebay listings get higher bids. If you want more than that, you need a different sales method. Either selling it yourself, consigning with a big auction company, or perhaps Matt Harwood. 

5 hours ago, TerryB said:

When you see Mustangs, Camaros and Chevelles bringing over $100k you kind of get where the interest is today.  

I sold my '70 Chevelle SS 396 for $50k in January to a classic car dealer in Michigan and they priced it at $74,900 and sold it less than a month later....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

THANK YOU! The hobby will be fine without the iPhone people. Bob 

I'm 67 and I have an iPhone. So does everyone else I know who are in their 60s and 70s. They're not just for younger people anymore....

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

t3333971315_cdea36ca5d_z.jpg39 Buick Special 41C one of 714.JPG

If these two cars are the same model the problem may be the  photos and photographer. That grille and hood are not a selling point IMO. Black toped car looks much better. Bob 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

If these two cars are the same model the problem may be the  photos and photographer. That grill and hood are not a selling point IMO. Black toped car looks much better. Bob 

Not the same model and as a result not the same size car  - The top one is a Roadmaster and the lower one is a Special.  The runningboard delete on the Special is very nice feature. 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

25 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

If these two cars are the same model the problem may be the  photos and photographer. That grill and hood are not a selling point IMO. Black toped car looks much better. Bob 

Lets look and see how the factory presented it; And every brochure I see has the wheels painted the body color. I think the top depends on the interior.

Image result for 1939 Buick sales brochures images

In the rendering, the top is lowered . Looks sleeker...............

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lebowski said:

I'm 67 and I have an iPhone. So does everyone else I know who are in their 60s and 70s. They're not just for younger people anymore....

I just bought my first smart phone Friday.  I'm having a hell of a time with it.  I can hardly make an answer phone calls.  But I'll be forced to learn. Twice I took an I-phone back and got my flip-phone, but this time I can't.  I sold a new Buick because I thought it was like driving a smart phone. 😀

1 hour ago, MCHinson said:

Earl,

It really depends on if you really want to sell it, or if you just want to try to sell it. I think the problem is you want to sell it for more than the current market dictates that the car is worth. You know it is not going to bring what you have invested in it, and need to be realistic about what the current market value is. Old Cars Price Guide seems to indicate that your car is probably worth between $31,500 and $49,000. It is not a perfect guide, but one source of data. Your seller is starting the bidding at $29,500 on Ebay. That will seldom get a bid, and probably few calls. If he wants to sell it, he should list it on Ebay with a starting price of $1000 and a reasonable reserve. You really should consider consigning it with RM or a similar auction company. Ship it to them and they will get it sold. I understand you don't want the hassle of dealing with potential buyers, but the simple fact that the car is being offered by a dealer also discourages some potential buyers who realize that they are paying a higher price simply because the dealer is making a profit. You would be able to sell it easier if you got it back from the dealer and simply advertised it yourself at your price on this forum, Hemmings, the Buick Bugle, and Antique Automobile.  

After doing a bit of searching on completed listings, I see that the most the car has been bid to on Ebay previously was $33,433.33. Seldom do additional Ebay listings get higher bids. If you want more than that, you need a different sales method. Either selling it yourself, consigning with a big auction company, or perhaps Matt Harwood. 

Matt:  I appeciate your advice, but you and I disagree on basically everything....but, you're a good friend.  I went through the hell of putting the green convertible with your auction company and that'll never happen again if it's rotting in my garage when I die.

2 hours ago, cxgvd said:

I hesitate to enter this discussion except I am a pre war driver and I am in the market for an open car.  Fender skirts and wheel colours mean nothing to me, what hurts the desirability of Earl's Special to me is that it is not a big car such as a Roadmaster or Packard Super Eight.

When I wanted a brass era car everyone said get a Ford and they were right from a practical point of view.  I spent more money and bought a mid sized car, a Buick, and when I attend a meet the car gives me a presence/ status.  Possibly silly but that is how I feel.  The Buick is also more comfortable than a Ford, that is a bonus to me.

I would buy Earl's Special, I even like the colour, but to overcome my prejudges it would have to be grand theft and I do not know Earl well enough to suggest it.

Best of luck with your car, respectfully, Gary

You can suggest whatever you want.  The dealer is a buffer.  If he is honest he will bring me all offers like in a real estate deal.  I have to have a valve changed in my heart.  I have another problem to fix before I can do it.  I can't even go 55 miles to Lakeland right now to get the Trippe Lights if I bought into that argument.  I'd really like to keep them anyway, for the shelf if nothing else.  So, for now the car is his to sell.  He sold three cars for a friend of mine and one for me.  Timidity will never buy the car.  I don't have to sell it.  I just want to sell it.  When I want to sell something opportunity often takes the place of the value I want.  The dealer is my buffer, but I'm not going to spend one dime to send it to a far-away dealer or to auction it.  Too much of this conversation has been about my car instead of why people aren't bidding on pre-war cars like they did 8-10 years ago.  It would appear the insurance companies and price books are overvaluing these cars.  Old Car Value Guide IMO is worthless, but the NADA Old Car Price Book is more reliable....at least the insurance company thinks so.  Everybody has had a chance to beat up on 1939 Buick styling, but I disagree with all who do.  A 1939 is Pretty while a 1938 or 1940 is masculine.  That's how I have always seen them and I like pretty.  I've always liked pretty girls in pretty skirts. 😀  Also, nobody can buy a car if they are too timid to make an offer.  If you make the dealer and offer and the dealer brushes you off after final negotiation, drop me a line.  I think this closes the case now after all of these posts, don't you?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dynaflash8 said:

You can suggest whatever you want.  The dealer is a buffer.  If he is honest he will bring me all offers like in a real estate deal.  I have to have a valve changed in my heart.  I have another problem to fix before I can do it.  I can't even go 55 miles to Lakeland right now to get the Trippe Lights if I bought into that argument.  I'd really like to keep them anyway, for the shelf if nothing else.  So, for now the car is his to sell.  He sold three cars for a friend of mine and one for me.  Timidity will never buy the car.  I don't have to sell it.  I just want to sell it.  When I want to sell something opportunity often takes the place of the value I want.  The dealer is my buffer, but I'm not going to spend one dime to send it to a far-away dealer or to auction it.  Too much of this conversation has been about my car instead of why people aren't bidding on pre-war cars like they did 8-10 years ago.  It would appear the insurance companies and price books are overvaluing these cars.  Old Car Value Guide IMO is worthless, but the NADA Old Car Price Book is more reliable....at least the insurance company thinks so.  Everybody has had a chance to beat up on 1939 Buick styling, but I disagree with all who do.  A 1939 is Pretty while a 1938 or 1940 is masculine.  That's how I have always seen them and I like pretty.  I've always liked pretty girls in pretty skirts. 😀  Also, nobody can buy a car if they are too timid to make an offer.  If you make the dealer and offer and the dealer brushes you off after final negotiation, drop me a line.  I think this closes the case now after all of these posts, don't you?

One last point. I wish you a speeding recovery from your health issues.

• Like 4

Thank you B64C.  I appreciate that.  I am #55 in the BCA and have enjoyed membership in AACA since 1962.  It's been a great ride.  If I could buy 10-15 years more in this life where I could be as active as I've been the lat 30 years I'd do that in a heartbeat.  I even just finished restoring my last old Buick at age 79.  But this 80 thing has been a goal.  You have to set a goal somewhere.  Otherwise I might buy that '58 Buick Special 2dr hardtop on eBay today.  Bye.  Earl

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Buick64C said:

One last point. I wish you a speeding recovery from your health issues.

I do too!! I’m not the Terry you’ve known for a long time but I do appreciate the nice things you said about him and hope if you knew me you would have similar regard for me.  Seven years ago after a disastrous crash that I survived but with an amputation and permanent spinal cord injury as the outcome, I see life in a somewhat different perspective than many others and those thoughts often echo though the words I post here.  For what it’s worth, my 93 yr old neighbor had a new valve put in and seems to be doing well.  

Best wishes,

Terry

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TerryB said:

I do too!! I’m not the Terry you’ve known for a long time but I do appreciate the nice things you said about him and hope if you knew me you would have similar regard for me.  Seven years ago after a disastrous crash that I survived but with an amputation and permanent spinal cord injury as the outcome, I see life in a somewhat different perspective than many others and those thoughts often echo though the words I post here.  For what it’s worth, my 93 yr old neighbor had a new valve put in and seems to be doing well.  

Best wishes,

Terry

Wow, that 's a lot of replies.  I'm 69 and own a 1948 Desoto 3 window coupe.  I like my car because so few others own a car like mine.  I guess I like to be unique.  I also like your 39 Buick convertible sedan.  But back to your original question, "Have younger people lost interest in pre-war cars?"  Younger people never had an interest in pre-war cars as they almost never see them.  I don't know what the price is for your Buick, but if it's let's say 50K, I think younger people would rather put that money to the purchase of a home rather than buy any old car, rare as it is.  I'm in the antique Edison phonograph hobby, and there's also been a loss of interest in pre-war, meaning pre-WWI, phonographs!  Now why would that be?  Marc.

31 minutes ago, marcapra said:

Wow, that 's a lot of replies.  I'm 69 and own a 1948 Desoto 3 window coupe.  I like my car because so few others own a car like mine.  I guess I like to be unique.  I also like your 39 Buick convertible sedan.  But back to your original question, "Have younger people lost interest in pre-war cars?"  Younger people never had an interest in pre-war cars as they almost never see them.  I don't know what the price is for your Buick, but if it's let's say 50K, I think younger people would rather put that money to the purchase of a home rather than buy any old car, rare as it is.  I'm in the antique Edison phonograph hobby, and there's also been a loss of interest in pre-war, meaning pre-WWI, phonographs!  Now why would that be?  Marc.

I have some pre-war Lionel trains and the market for them is getting soft as is the whole model train hobby.  I spent the afternoon pricing some old HO train stuff to sell and it’s going to be tough sell for them as the hobby has moved in a whole new direction from these simple examples of give it power and go.  

The main thing I believe  is to enjoy what you have for as long as you can.  Tastes and trends will change and we can’t stop that from happening.  Prices will vary but remember the main reason most of us have this stuff is for the enjoyment it brings to us each day.  Maybe a beginning collector will enjoy my HO stuff and have fun with it like I did.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, ted sweet said:

interest is dying in cars made before 1970

Really, I don't associate with people with that outlook. Thanks for the tip. 

Bob 

10 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Really, I don't associate with people with that outlook. Thanks for the tip. 

Bob 

The last great car was made in _____.  Feel free to fill in the blanks!🙂

53 minutes ago, ted sweet said:

interest is dying in cars made before 1970

That does not seem to be the case in England and Europe.

Greg

Posted (edited)

Thankfully I am still in my early 1960's. As long as my health holds up; in another 10 years  give or take, I might actually be able to afford one of the pre war cars I really like. And have several years to enjoy it if the cards come out my way. Being a decade younger than many pre war car people always meant I was a day late and several dollars short in the pre war car marketplace. As a consequence I ended up with several lost cause project cars over the years.

At least I was able to learn a lot about pre war cars, the engineering and construction techniques of the various pre war era's. There may be light at the end of the tunnel; in a decade or so , about actually being able to afford one that can be driven! 

A Marmon 6 cyl. sure would be nice before the long nap. Or a Kissel or a nickel era Stutz.  The possibility's are endless, even exciting. 

Greg

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 2