Accumulator and Pressure Switch

ptt

My 1990 Coupe with an intermittent hard brake pedal apparently needs an accumulator.  The intermittent hard pedal seems to show that the pressure switch is trying to work.  From what I gather from info on this forum it seems Im at least needing a new accumulator.  Im going to check the pressure switch when it stops raining here.  Im assuming the electrical fitting on the switch is what I need to look at for the presence of brake fluid?

• 1 month later...

I finally replaced the Accumulator ball with the Land Rover unit.  I still have an intermittent hard pedal.  It seems like it starts out with a hard pedal then after a few minutes it goes to a normal pedal.  Then stays normal.  Its just hard after a cold start then goes away.  The Land Rover accumulator is noticeably larger that the OEM ball so I did the extra washer under the cross bracket to clear the larger ball.     

Starting a new day..........the accumulator may be leaking down over night and at start up,  you do not have a fully pressurized accumulator.

The pump is high pressure but not high volume,  so it takes the pump a few seconds (an old pump might take a full minute) to fully charge the accumulator.

The RED BRAKE light should be on until the accumulator is up to working pressure.

Try this....get in the car and turn the key to ON.....do not start the car (with the radio off) listen for the pump and wait until it stops.....

Now start the engine and drive and I think you will have normal working brakes.

Now that our Reattas are all almost 30 years old.....the seals are not as good as the once were plus there are check valves and by-pass valves that

may not be sealing completely.     Sometimes changing the fluid helps clean the system and improves performance.

I strongly recommend....if you buy a Reatta that you do not know the history or do not get maintenance records ......flush the brake fluid.

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)