Carguy67

The end of a great run

Posted (edited)

Here is formerly our restored 1932 Buick being loaded on a carrier to its new home in Cartersville, GA to a car museum being built by the new owner Mr. Jon Oscher a car collector and BCA member. Jon has a collection of cars and saw my Buick advertised in the Buick Bugle magazine when it came out on Friday April 26. Jon called me on Saturday morning, asked for more photos, I sent him five emails on Sunday with photos and much more including the complete history of the car, where we found it in 2005, complete restoration and 10 years of showing the car all around the country at meets and Concours 'de Elegance events including winning Senior Gold and the 'Spirit of Buick ' award from Nicola Bulgari at Colorado Springs BCA 2009, the first time we showed the car at a BCA meet.  We went on through the AACA awards ladder ending up with the  Senior Grand National Award and three invitations to submit the car for a National award at the annual AACA convention in Philadelphia but got three letters back saying it did not quite make it but a nice certificate that it tried.

Jon called me on Monday the 29th and bought the car and money was in the bank by noon. The museum is under construction and Jon said the Buick will be a feature in it when completed in 15-18 months. Following the sale  I spent most of the week finding 15 years of history and 32 Buick 'stuff' I had collected including trophies, awards, original 1932 advertisements from magazines I had purchased, technical manuals, etc.etc. which took me four hours last Sunday to pick in three boxes and send to Jon FedEx.

The car arrived in Georgia this past Monday, the 6th and Jon called and said the car was beautiful, better than he had hoped and was thrilled. He wanted to be sure if we came his way to stop and see the car and his collection. He also said send him info on my other cars as someday they might be looking for more cars.

There are lots of great memories over the 10 years we were showing the car around the country and Dianne and I have met so many wonderful people in our trips. John Scheib was my first contact with a BCA guy by the internet in November 2004 and helped me find this 32 in April 2005  in a machine/shop warehouse not far from his home in West Hartford.   Because of the wonderful experiences I became a dyed-in-the-wool Buick guy Including attending every BCA meet from 2009 - 2018 with exception of Portland due to a death in the immediate family.  I currently have five Buicks in addition to my daily driver, a Buick Enclave. Somewhat sad to see the 32 Buick go but thrilled that it will be in a museum where it will get great care and others can enjoy it for years to come.

Chuck

DSCN7535 - Copy.JPG

32Buickresized2 (2).JPG

32BuicktoGA. - Copy.jpeg

Edited by chuck nixon (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Being in a museum does not indicate it will be well cared for.  Mostly dusted off.  Never run.  Actually worse for a car to be in a museum.  No exercise.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jackofalltrades70 said:

Being in a museum does not indicate it will be well cared for.  Mostly dusted off.  Never run.  Actually worse for a car to be in a museum.  No exercise.

Maybe, but it all depends on the museum and the staff. We have an Air and Automotive museum in Oregon that regularly runs and flys the exhibits, all of them.

17 minutes ago, jackofalltrades70 said:

That depends on the museum operation and I would much rather have hundreds of folks getting a chance to continue to the see car rather than have it locked up in a collection not open for viewing and potentially neglected. My $0.02

Chuck, I am sorry to see this go. I loved seeing this car at the various shows it has been too. Great car.  

Bill

Posted (edited)

You and Diane were great stewards for that car and have found a future for it that sounds better than average. It must be hard to watch it go, and I do not relish that scene for my  non museum quality cars.  But it  is a fitting scenario vs what we hear about today where the family auctions the car to just get rid of it. 

If the deal satisfies you, Chuck, then I offer my congratulations on a job well done.

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks for the comments folks.  Now on to tinkering with my other Buicks to make them better and enjoyable.

Chuck