Top Pull Down

Looking for info;

If I pull the top pull down assembly to remove the motor will I still be able to put the latching assembly back to secure the top from weather ?

Dumb Question I know but, please advise. Thanks, Chet

Yes Chet, you will then have a manually operated pull-down. I have it that way on my TC.  It saves being out in the rain and no way to latch the convertible top should the pulldown fail. Just be sure to have a 13/16" deep well socket and ratchet in the trunk at all times.

Is this referring to the motor that secures the two pins at the rear of the convertible top?  If so, where can I find specific instructions to do the same to my TC?  What is the socket and ratchet for?  Is it easier to replace the motor with a new one?

Thanks for the help.

Mark

9 hours ago, iceman8147 said:

Or use the tire iron...

Yes, the tire iron works too, which reminds me to change the size of the deep well socket to a 3/4" rather than the size I mentioned above. The advantage of the ratchet is that it is shorter and can give you a little better "handle" on the situation. Also, I like to keep all my jacking equipment where it is stored, with the spare tire.

• 5 weeks later...

Not to hijack conversation here but, I just removed my hardtop and tried to pull down canvas top with switch and nothing worked(no Power) need to diagnose.  So i tried to secure top manually and now the mechanism will not 'grab' top pins to latch down.  any suggestions?  Pins do not look to be adjustable..

Thanks

Paul

You are correct the pegs are not adjustable.  The pull down mechanism in the tonneau well can be adjusted a small amount.  There are 5 bolts, 2 on each end and 1 in the middle.  It will slide up and down.  One typical problem is that the soft top when not used much needs to be stretched back out.  Also attach the pegs first and then the 'J' hooks.  You can also get a little more play by screwing the 'J' hooks but this can allow rain to enter the car.

Thanks for the feedback.  My top isn't used much and does need to be stretched however, when I attempt to latch the rear pegs and then secure the front j hooks the rear pegs pop off the pull down mechanism.. Appears that the pull down mechanism is not fully engaged  to the pegs even if I two people pushing down on the top near the pegs... I Iooked at the mechanism and it appears to be functioning correctly.... 

Problem #1: the top needs to stretch out. DO NOT adjust *anything* until you let the top material relax. If you can, put the soft top up, latch the rear and just let the front "dangle" over top of the front header while in the sun. Depending on the material it could be ok in a day, or a couple of days.

Yes, the pull-down can be adjusted as described.

As for the mechanism not working via the switch, it could be a bunch of things. Make sure there's power, then make sure it goes where it's supposed to. If both check out, you might need a new motor, or, more than likely, the gears have stripped/jammed.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Reaper1,  I let the top stretch for a day..  as soon as latched the front latches both rear pins popped out.  I adjusted the mechanism a few times , its now all the way up and the rear pins still popped off. Never had this problem when using the switch but now since the switch will not operate the motor it appears that just latching the rear pins manually will not hold enough 'tension' on the pins.  Btw i do have power to the motor so I'm guessing that I need another motor....

Thanks 

Paul

Paul G, the most common issue with the pull down mechanism is that the gears strip out. The motor might actually still be good. Check Doorman. They used to have whole housings and gears. It's the same as any GM trunk pull-down.

Hemi Dude,  Will check again.... but I think I'm only feeling one detent.  really did not want to pull real hard...

Reaper1,  thanks will look into that, however, when push switch I do not hear any noise from motor....

Had the same issue with my soft top after not being used for 10 years or so. Had to let it stretch out, both in the sun and at night in the garage for several days. Finally got it to latch without popping out. Also helped to lube the rear latching mechanism and latches. My motor doesn't work so I use the manual override in the trunk. 

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I know this thread has not been active for 4 years, but I'm hoping someone will read this who can help.  My convertible top will not stay latched.  The mechanism works in the sense that it pulls the tabs down, but they do not stay down.  Is there somewhere I can buy a new mechanism?  Or have mine rebuilt?  Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, I have tried securing the pull down pins at the rear before latching at the windshield.  That has not helped.  I'm getting closer to understanding the problem and working on a solution and have posted on the Facebook Chrysler TC Maserati group.

• 3 months later...

RT315... i answered you in another thread but here goes. in my experience with this situation if you go to push the top metal pins into the holes, they just pop back up and not hold in place for the motor to pull it down, there needs to be an adjustment to the whole mechanism/bracket in the boot well. the bracket needs to be moved slightly "up". you can do this by moving the top out of your way as much as possible to get yourself in place in the top well and loosen the 5 nuts holding the whole bracket in place.  2 on the left, 2 on the right and one in the middle. dont forget the one in the middle of the bracket. you will see that the bracket was more than likely in the middle of the adjustment position.  go to one side and push the whole bracket up about 1/2" more than its original position. quickly tighten two nuts on that side before it slides back down. go to the other side and push the bracket up again about 1/2" or so then tighten those nuts. the bracket should not be able to adjust any higher than this. now tighten the middle nut. put the tonneau cover back in place and now try the convertible top again by placing the metal pics back into the holes. with the bracket being 1/2" higher or so the pins should now grab the mechanism claws and "click into place". if they hold in place, go into the car and try lowering the top with the top switch. then secure and the windshield. this should solve your problem. hope this helps.

On 5/15/2023 at 4:27 PM, RT315 said:

Yes, I have tried securing the pull down pins at the rear before latching at the windshield.  That has not helped.  I'm getting closer to understanding the problem and working on a solution and have posted on the Facebook Chrysler TC Maserati group.

??? There is actually a Facebook Chrysler TC Maserati group  ???   “What LITTLE I know! “
Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg. Jason McELweenie/Flickr The origins of Facebook have been in dispute since the very week a 19-year-old Mark Zuckerberg launched the site as a Harvard sophomore.

I DON’T DO FACEBOOK!

Edited by Hemi Dude
Added a note of explanation (see edit history)