I have a conundrum - 8 parts cars!!!

Folks - I have a problem.  The place I purchased my 47 Super 56C  Convertible has EIGHT parts cars on the property.  They have been there for decades.  I believe the old man started dragging them in back in the 60's and 70's.  Heck, most of them were DRIVEN to their final resting places.  Most are four doors. three 47/48's Roadmasters and Supers.  There are  three 49's - A Sedanette, a Riviera hardtop, and a Sedan I believe.  Needless to say, they are rough.  However, LOTS of trim.  Some sheet metal, dashes, grills, bumpers, and window surrounds.  Of course there are lots of cores and parts inside these cars as well.  Now, I can have what I want for $400.  The rest goes to the crusher.  My plan is to take a generator and a sawsall and start cutting off anything and everything I can before the claw gets them.  Any tips?  Any suggestions?  And, here's the greatest part of it all:  She is giving me little to no time.  Great.  So, chop them up and take what I can or be careful?  Photos below.  Anyone?!?!   These are located in Iowa.  I would guarantee a tug on any one of these will probably rip them in half.  If ANYONE has needs from these or a desire to try and save one, let me know and you can buy it with title (I think they ALL have titles)

Resized952019050795124959952706.jpg

Resized952019050795124943953888.jpg

Resized952019050795124927954701.jpg

Resized952019050795125045957653.jpg

Resized952019050795125105959056.jpg

Cannot answer questions regarding swap ready trim, but I would grab the grills, and the entire Rodmaster Sedanette, along with the pass fender from the 49 Hardtop.  

If you cut off fenders that bolt on, you are wasting your time and energy, unless the fenders present a good opportunity for patch panels. 

I would look for straight trim on the 4 drs and unbolt it.  Bent or twisted will do you no favors.  

I would also grab the taillight bezels and the trunk lid ornaments. 

As I have learned, you can just cut the steering wheels off behind the shift lever column, so might as well take those.  I would also grab fender skirts if available. 

If there are chrome ribs in the headliners, I would try to get those. Just make sure you mark them as to year and location before removal. 

Also, check under the hood of that 41 to see if it still has the dual carbs and intake manifold.  

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

The '49 Riviera is the only valuable car there.  The '41 is a short wheelbase Special and probably does not have dual carbs, but it might.

If they have been there that long  all of the molding clips will be so rusted you can pry the moldings off with a putty knife, screw driver or something similar.  The '49 Riviera should be pulled out whole if you can get it. Then get the hood off a '49 Roadmaster to replace the one on the Riviera, get any all other trim that is better than that on the Riviera.  If the Riviera trunklid is dented, see if one of the other trunklids will interchange.  Without checking my books, I really don't know, but it is possible.  The rear fender moldings on the fastback and the Riviera are extremely rare.  If they are good be sure to pry them off.  I don't see where cutting off sheet metal, front or back will gain you much.  Dash parts are fairly common.  The rare car is the Riviera.  It should be worth $1500 to $2000 to somebody as a parts car, and it may even be restoreable if you're careful getting it out of there.  Sedans aren't worth much but of the trim is and that should be easy pickings.  Easy to carry, and easy to sell.  The '41 and '49 grills are probably all pitted up.  The ''46-48 grills never go bad.  Any skirts are worth getting.  That's my two cents.

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

NOTHING on a '49 fits a '47, except some mechanical parts. IF any of those '49 two-door models have the rear quarter panel bodyside moldings, grab them, and if you don't want those moldings I will buy them. Grab the '49 upper grille bars; they are all one piece, pot metal, and nearly impossible to find; grab every 1940s driver's door lock & latch mechanism you can get; I will buy them if you don't want them. Grab the small, thin molding on the side of the '41 front fenders, that goes from the headlight rim on back. It's about 18-20 inches long and very thin. I need both of them for a car I have. That '49 Roadmaster sedanet and the '49 Roadmaster 2-dr. hardtop are worth getting out of there for their rare body parts.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX

• Like 2

These cars are in the Cedar Rapids Iowa area.   I went back out today to assess the cars and find the best means of getting them out.  It is seriously NOT going to happen.  They are really, really, really gone. This is going to be a cut and remove what trim we can and the rest is going to the crusher. Sadly,  they are simply too far gone to move without them falling apart.   

The '41 Special has the dual carb setup and air cleaner.  One of the three 49's has a good mustache bar,  one has a cracked top,  looks like it had something dropped on it.  The second grill is broken on the passenger side.   I will take ALL of the trim on both '49 coupes.  The Riviera has great trim all the way around.  

20190511_132000.jpg

• Like 3

Given the numerous posts regarding difficulties getting intake/exhaust manifolds I'd say pop the hoods up and pull any that are intact. Someone will need and you can sell to them. Second to that are people looking for spark plug covers that were removed and never replaced.

On 5/10/2019 at 8:02 AM, Pete Phillips said:

NOTHING on a '49 fits a '47, except some mechanical parts. IF any of those '49 two-door models have the rear quarter panel bodyside moldings, grab them, and if you don't want those moldings I will buy them. Grab the '49 upper grille bars; they are all one piece, pot metal, and nearly impossible to find; grab every 1940s driver's door lock & latch mechanism you can get; I will buy them if you don't want them. Grab the small, thin molding on the side of the '41 front fenders, that goes from the headlight rim on back. It's about 18-20 inches long and very thin. I need both of them for a car I have. That '49 Roadmaster sedanet and the '49 Roadmaster 2-dr. hardtop are worth getting out of there for their rare body parts.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX

If you have pot metal moldings that are damaged, they can surely be restored by rebuilding dead or missing pieces via welding in new metal. It's what I do. :)

James Ruther

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 6:23 AM, Dynaflash8 said:

The '49 Riviera is the only valuable car there. 

The Sedanette is more highly thought of than the Riviera actually, more in demand.  I would try to take the Sedanette complete.  Pete - don't you need all you can take from that car for your car?  Didn't you get a Sedanette ?

I am in Des Moines and can help remove on weekends, but it sounds like you are up against it, meaning they want to clean these out ASAP??  Maybe not.  Another option is to pay to have them go to a local scrapyard for awhile while you pull parts and THEN crush. 

I am in agreement with most that those 322 exhaust manifolds are valuable cores in theory.  I am just thinking in my head of those nuts / bolts seized from rust though.  Looks like good morel mushroom hunting near by. 

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 3:49 PM, Scott Farrington said:

These cars are in the Cedar Rapids Iowa area.   I went back out today to assess the cars and find the best means of getting them out.  It is seriously NOT going to happen.  They are really, really, really gone. This is going to be a cut and remove what trim we can and the rest is going to the crusher. Sadly,  they are simply too far gone to move without them falling apart.   

OK, but if you can not get them out who can?   When you are done stripping and the family/estate calls someone to remove, they would call ? the local yard with equipment to extract?   I have a GREAT idea!  I know of a place down near Pella Iowa.  Pete - you know this place, it's the one I go to that had that 1947 Roadmaster Sedanette.  They can extract anything.  They pulled that car out of a tight one car garage with seized drums and everything. 

Doug's 4 Wheelers can get them.  Then maybe make a deal with them to pull and sell parts.  They have 100 acres of old cars.  If you want I could reach out to them. 

They have a scrap guy on the site right now pulling EVERYTHING out of the hedgerows and balling it up and tossing the stuff into dumpsters.  EVERYTHING.  They intend to grab them with a loader and fold them up as soon as I am done.  They have a guy on site.  I am taking my generator, 100 saw blades, an electric impact, and a cut off wheel with me next weekend to strip these cars to the bones and let them put the rest of the hulks in a bin.  Very little will be left.  Doors are getting cut off and put on a trailer.  Hoods, and fenders so that I can strip them further/trim them down here at the office.  I will grab the manifolds on the 320s.  Wish I could get the motors. 

IF we know of somebody who will come and get them out, contact me.  We have a lot of folks already asking for parts off of these cars, so I don't think it would be a losing proposition.  We have until June 1.

Drop me a line...I am even willing to back away and let someone else take this over!

Edited by Scott Farrington
More information added (see edit history)

3 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

The Sedanette is more highly thought of than the Riviera actually, more in demand.  I would try to take the Sedanette complete.  Pete - don't you need all you can take from that car for your car?  Didn't you get a Sedanette ?

I am in Des Moines and can help remove on weekends, but it sounds like you are up against it, meaning they want to clean these out ASAP??  Maybe not.  Another option is to pay to have them go to a local scrapyard for awhile while you pull parts and THEN crush. 

I am in agreement with most that those 322 exhaust manifolds are valuable cores in theory.  I am just thinking in my head of those nuts / bolts seized from rust though.  Looks like good morel mushroom hunting near by. 

I must be living in outer space somewhere.  An old sedanette worth more than a 2dr hardtop, even the first ever one?  Buick was two weeks ahead of Cadillac and Oldsmobile.  That was GM's thank you for Buick developing the concept.  In my day, the only car more valuable tan a 2dr convertible was a 2dr hardtop.  I wish I had the ability and age to get a '49 Roadmaster Riviera.  It's the only Buick I ever really wanted that I have never owned.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Scott Farrington said:

I am pulling off even the cracked or broken pieces, promise!

That's great! All of it can be welded and reshaped back to original less a few small pits which is easy for the chrome shop to take care of. 👍🇺🇲

James Ruther 

Edited by Potmetalwelder (see edit history)
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Potmetalwelder said:

That's great! All of it can be welded and reshaped back to original less a few small pits which is easy for the chrome shop to take care of. 👍🇺🇲

James Ruther 

Unfortunately, one side of the fender speer on the 41 was hit at some point and damaged.  Hopefully you can straighten it and repair as I guess they are rare items.  Driver's side is nice, though pitted.

6 hours ago, Scott Farrington said:

Unfortunately, one side of the fender speer on the 41 was hit at some point and damaged.  Hopefully you can straighten it and repair as I guess they are rare items.  Driver's side is nice, though pitted.

Absolutely! Straightening, Welding, Modifying and or replacing missing metal is my specialty. Post some photos so we can see what we're up against. 👍🇺🇲

• Like 2

In for a penny... in for 32,000 pounds.   Tonight I secured all eight cars from the field,  buying them in place with plans to move all 8 to my office for parting out.   From the notes on the paperwork and titles,  most of the cars arrived where they sit back in 71/72. They have been sitting since before I was born!  The 49 sedanette and sedan have titles.  The 49 Riviera Hardtop was purchased as a builder... for $5.00.  Attempts were made by letter to locate glass for the car,  however it never happened,  so it sat.   Goes to show how difficult the hobby was compared to today.   In less than 10 minutes I can photograph parts and have them in the eyes of interested parties the world over.  My plan is to move the cars and offer the opportunity for them to be purchased whole.   If the interest is not there,  I will offer them as individual parts on request.   At the end of June,  whatever remains of the lot will be sent to scrap.  I'm hoping for very little to be left.   All of these, except the Riviera,  were driven to their final resting place. Some notes included "a shimmy at 55" on the sedanette... bought for $10 back in '72.  I  will keep everyone abreast of the recovery efforts. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Update:  my conundrum became my reality this weekend.   All of the cars are now out of the woods and in my parking lot at work.  At this time,  my plan of attack is to cut up the four cars that I have deemed to be too far gone to be of value to anyone.   I am going to offer folks here first shots at anything left on the 8 cars.   Personally, I'd prefer to sell cars whole to people here rather than attempt to piece them out.   I will accept reasonable offers for the cars.   I will post each one here in the coming days under the for sale section.   Buy the whole car of or show up here and take what you want off and i'll scrap the carcass.   I have an area indoors to pull the cars in to work on them and can load them.   I have until the end of August to sell them or part them out and have them gone.    The cars are, in order of value: 1941 Buick super sedan with complete dual carb intake, 1949 Buick Roadmaster Riviera Hardtop,  1949 Buick Roadmaster Sedanette,  1947-48 Buick Roadmaster Sedans, 1949 Buick Roadmaster sedan,  and 1948 Buick Super Sedan. Again: pictures of the cars as well as a description will be posted in the coming days.   What does not sell here goes to fleabay.  Then hotrodders, then the junk man cometh!  Thanks everyone. 

Edited by Scott Farrington (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2