Ruxton at Guyton auction

I was there and someone mentioned a location, which I responded to the gentleman a best guess of initials, and I got a BIG smile back, no answer. If correct it’s still in the US,  and will probably show up at Pebble Beach with a fresh Restoration. Privacy is important to some purchases today, now more than ever. I never bid from the floor if I don’t have to. I. Rather watch to see if there are any other bidders in the room to get a read on the car. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Everybody raise their hand that thought the Ruxton would bring huge money?   They are good looking version of the Tucker when they rarely hit the market.  I was right on the Ruxton and wrong on the Dupont.  That's a .500 batting average.  Not bad.

29 minutes ago, edinmass said:

I was there and someone mentioned a location, which I responded to the gentleman a best guess of initials, and I got a BIG smile back, no answer. If correct it’s still in the US,  and will probably show up at Pebble Beach with a fresh Restoration. Privacy is important to some purchases today, now more than ever. I never bid from the floor if I don’t have to. I. Rather watch to see if there are any other bidders in the room to get a read on the car. 

I can understand that bidding logic, can those mystery phone bids be placed by someone who is on the floor with a cell phone? Bob 

2 minutes ago, edinmass said:

I think half the very serious bidders today use proxy bidders and the phone, in combination for a bunch of reasons. There is a risk, that the call drops out......been there done that. I was busy tracking other things and dealing with other lots, but it was quite obvious that several people made a race out of the Ruxton to the finish line. I can’t stress enough that a substantial part of the sum of this car is to be the next “first new guy with a fresh total restoration on a Ruxton rag top”. IE- the odds of the price being driven so high is people looking for “new look” cars for the Concours show circuit. There are other similar cars that are restored that could have been purchased out of collections, but you would be buying the car and the restoration, and then the cost of a repaint and uhpolstery for a “new “ looking car. Thus, the old shop worn and very well used Roadster became more valuable. Now, if it were a very original unrestored and unmolested car.......the number could have went even higher. Market is sure in an interesting place right now for the truly top one hundredth of one percent. If you have a car in the top 25 percent,  it’s a different view when selling.

E6622795-D5EF-46C3-AC00-9B4CAB032BCD.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Would still love to hear the story behind Holbrook Company sales manager Hjalmar Holm burying the last remaining Ruxton chassis' in his back yard in 1930? Rollston purchased most of Holbrook's assets at auction in May 1930 and also took much of their staff including the famous Holm. He then disposed of the leftover chassis' either out of spite/disagreement with Holbrook or Ruxton-I cant tell. Two different references elude to this being " a whole nother story" but never tell us!

1 hour ago, md murray said:

Would still love to hear the story behind Holbrook Company sales manager Hjalmar Holm burying the last remaining Ruxton chassis' in his back yard in 1930? Rollston purchased most of Holbrook's assets at auction in May 1930 and also took much of their staff including the famous Holm. He then disposed of the leftover chassis' either out of spite/disagreement with Holbrook or Ruxton-I cant tell. Two different references elude to this being " a whole nother story" but never tell us! 

This from THE authority on Ruxtons, Jim Fasnacht:

"I have documentation indicating that Holbrook scrapped at least four LWB Ruxton chassis (another memo says they supposedly buried them in the ground but it seemed speculative and therefore I did not state that in the book). Never have heard of a single person burying one in their yard but guess it’s a possibility."

Jim would like to know where you got your information.

"Some of the Holbrook staff, including their sales manager, Hjalmar Holm, were asked by Lonschein to come to work for Rollston in New York. As Holm had established connections with Duesenberg early on, he was without a doubt instrumental in getting a number of Duesenberg orders for Rollston between 1930 and 1932. (Holm is also the person who allegedly buried an unknown number of Ruxton chassis in his Hudson, New York back yard, but that’s another story, unrelated to Rollston’s.)" -this is an excerpt from the Rollston Company section on coachbuilt.com-which is an amazing resource-hats off to whomever maintains it.

-The other item I am going to have to dig for. I wanted to learn more about Holm and came across something online written in the 1970s as I recall that also mentioned the chassis'. It's such an interesting story only because Hudson, NY is such a small, sleepy little Hamlet. Obviously, the chassis' would be destroyed by now but not much goes on there-one could assume that they would still be there, laying beneath the azaleas!

One more reply from Jim:

"I have nothing like David mentions that ties a specific name to burying Ruxton chassis’, but pretty sure the letter I have mentions that at least four long wheelbase chassis were buried on the banks of the Hudson River by Holbrook. No more specifics than that, and it was a letter (as I recall) where someone was recanting the story years later and I am always a little suspicious about using these stories (as they seem to grow) [in my book] and worked hard to rely on things written by the company itself, or the bankruptcy records or testimony in the lawsuits after the demise of New Era (ie Ruxton Moon et al)"

On 5/10/2019 at 11:30 AM, md murray said:

-The other item I am going to have to dig for. I wanted to learn more about Holm and came across something online written in the 1970s as I recall that also mentioned the chassis'. It's such an interesting story only because Hudson, NY is such a small, sleepy little Hamlet. Obviously, the chassis' would be destroyed by now but not much goes on there-one could assume that they would still be there, laying beneath the azaleas! 

Not to get too picky, but Hudson is a little more than a sleepy little hamlet. It is credited with being the first CITY in the United States. It is the first city to receive a charter from the newly formed country of the United States after the formation of the new country. I think, as of the 2010 census it had a population of 6,713, the only city in Columbia County. 🤩 . As to the Ruxton rumor, I was born in this town and, except for a few years seeking fame and fortune, lived here much of my life and NEVER heard the rumor. My father was one on Holbrook's trimmers and I'm sure I would have heard the story from him if it were true. Of course, anything is possible...

Frank

Edited by oldford (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1