36threewindow

I have a 1936 Buick series 40 three window coupe, which has one locking door handle on the passenger side. The locking mechanism on the drivers door looks the same as that on the passenger door at least externally. Would the passenger locking door handle lock the driver side door if I switched it over or if I found another nice locking handle ?  

10 hours ago, 36threewindow said:

great info, thank you. Just bought a locking handle thats been on ebay about an hour ago. It appears to be a little long but think we can trim it down and make it work. Finding the matching Buick handles ain't easy.

Al T. 

Al, not sure what you mean "a little long"? The only longer shafted ones I`m aware of were for the suicide doors, where the interior handle was on the end of the shaft. On these the shaft is clocked differently also. I`d like to see a picture of what you bought.  Tom

Tom, the narrow part of the handle shaft measures 3 1/16" long the drivers side door handle I have (un-keyed) measures 2 7/16" long. I will try to find out how to attach the original ebay add which shows the shaft and states the length of the narrow end. Right now I don't know how to attach to the forum response. Al T.

50 minutes ago, 36threewindow said:

Tom, the narrow part of the handle shaft measures 3 1/16" long the drivers side door handle I have (un-keyed) measures 2 7/16" long. I will try to find out how to attach the original ebay add which shows the shaft and states the length of the narrow end. Right now I don't know how to attach to the forum response. Al T.

Al, here is a picture of a `35 Chevy suicide handle on the left and a `36 Buick handle on the right, both are for the passenger side.

DSCN5445.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Tom, never could figure out how to attach the ebay add. Did receive the keyed handle and was in similar condition to my handles along with the decorative pattern being the same. As advertised and confirmed by your picture the narrow two sections of the shaft measured 3 1/16" we cut 5/8" off the narrowest end of  the shaft drilled a hole  thru the shaft attached in locking mechanism and now have 2 locking handles. The shaft on the new handle was .070"dia larger than original but did ot cause any problem in fit. We did have to drill a little wood(yes I still have the original wood frame doors) out to get the locking gizmo thru..

I think you nailed, it from what I learned the chevy suicide door handle shaft was longer as both the inside & outside handle attached to the one shaft. The pleasant surprise was the design pattern on the new handle matched my handles only difference I could see was chevy handle design may have been a little more raised. Surprising as everything else on the Buick seems to be its own style - unless my handles were from a chevy when I got the car.

Thanks for your help, Al T.