Would like to purchess a set of plugs for my 1928 dodge .Look forward to here from some one .Kind regards John

I got mine from Myers. Tom and Cindy are very helpful. 

18 minutes ago, Mattml430 said:

I got mine from Myers. Tom and Cindy are very helpful. 

.What was the shop in Australia so i can send them a email  .many thanks 

So you don't have an Instruction Book? We suggest you get yourself one.

Champion about 1945 say C-4 for Dodge Brothers 6 through 1928 and Senior. This was a 7/8"-18 thread with 11/8" hex.

1955 Champion say Dodge Brothers through 1928 C-4 and for fouling or slow drivers 3 Com, which was a long thread or long reach plug. C-4 was a mid range plug, 3-Com was the hottest.

1929 Dodge Brothers Six C-7, an 18 mm plug w. 1" hex..

Web sites call the 7/8"-18 plugs "22 mm" plugs. Hmmm. One web site referencing the C-4 plug is

https://www.gsparkplug.com/1x-champion-spark-plug-c-4.html

and inter alia they say it is a 7/8" UNC plug! Hmmm. UNC is 9 tpi in 7/8" so I don't know how that squares with 7/8"-18.

These people say the W16Y is a replacement for a Champion C4. https://www.sparkplug-crossreference.com/convert/CHAMP_PN/C4

These same people say

"Champion 3-COM replacement spark plugs

Autolite 3076

Champion W18"

So there you have a mid-range plug, W16Y and a hot plug, W18 or 3076. There appears to be no other brand of plug compatible with W16Y. The W18 is similar to C77L AC-Delco and GM number 5613047.

I suggest you take out one of what you have now and measure the thread to confirm what it is. Please let us know!

Posted (edited)

This is a W89D:

image.png.f6f0723bc6d308390a5b5a1d767dd0bc.pngand this is a W16Y: image.png

The W89D would be a hotter plug than the W16Y.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

As I said above, the 3-Com is a hotter plug for fouling or slow drivers. It looks like this:

image.png.cfee17aea9af8b6138822b3c1fc2487f.png  and this is the C-4: image.png.61ef868f7ac34351f82c1ce6c4b0a8ef.png

Note the slightly longer reach on the 3-Com. The W89D is much longer; I would measure the space available before putting them in.

C-4's are very hard to find in the US. I was told they fit lots of antique tractors so there is competition for them. What does the Y mean in W16Y? I use W16's in my cars

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, nearchoclatetown said:

What does the Y mean in W16Y?

CORE NOSE PROJECTION

RETRACTED  No Projection

H  .020"-.030"

Y  .060"-.090"  i.e. standard projection core nose.

M  .100"-.140"

L  .180"-.220"

E  .240"-.300"

W = image.png.b699c7493a741b16566fa76563bcab9c.png  (All reaches).

16 = heat range. 1-25 is for Automotive, small engine and ordnance.

https://www.sparkplugs.com/Data/uploads/Charts/Champion_Numbering_System (add.jpg to get the chart).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Spinneyhill said:

As I said above, the 3-Com is a hotter plug for fouling or slow drivers. It looks like this:

image.png.cfee17aea9af8b6138822b3c1fc2487f.png  and this is the C-4: image.png.61ef868f7ac34351f82c1ce6c4b0a8ef.png

Note the slightly longer reach on the 3-Com. The W89D is much longer; I would measure the space available before putting them in.

In the first picture there is a modern type top of the spark plug. One where a rubber connector or a metal fork would attach to. The bottom is a threaded rod with a brass nut that the metal forks attach to. I got four new plugs from the Myers and they matched all but the top price. I had to ditch the brass nut. Does anyone know where I can find an oem plug. 

5 hours ago, Mpgp1999 said:

Does anyone know where I can find an oem plug. 

Not for a reasonable price. They are available on eBay of course, which is where the two photos in my last post came from.