TVtommy

F150XL 5.0 towing....thoughts?

Hello, and thanks reading....

Is anyone towing open carriers with an F150 5.0L?

If so, how is it working for you?

A few questions.  Does the truck have trailer towing package and what is the weight of the car that you are towing.  Also does the trailer have brakes on both axles and you have a good  brake controller in the truck. Are you going to be using an equalizer hitch and how much trailer towing experience do you have towing the load that you plan on towing.  Where are you towing, in the flat lands or in the mountains?

If you have all of the brake/safety equipment and a trailer towing package on the truck and do not drive it like a sports car and not towing a 4,500 pound vehicle, you should be fine.  Any one of the above missing, could be a problem and not safe.  IMO

• Like 2

Larry is exactly ON TARGET-

Great advice, 

your open trailer, if good solid construction, could easily be 2,000 lbs by itself. hen add the weight of the towed vehicle, additional equipment, tools, etc.

BE CERTAIN that your trailer tires are not aged - FIVE (5) years shold be considered TOO OLD !! IN MY OPINION

Carry more than one spare trailer tire - 2 should be minimum because often when one loses a belt it will take out tho other one on that side, and you don't want to be searching for trailer tires on a Sunday afternoon in the middle of nowhere. ( i carry four spare tires in each of my trailers and can usually help "the other guy")

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Oh, forgot about the two trailer tires. Smart advice.  I too also carry two because if you have had one go bad,  then you are like a Pavlov's dog looking for another tire. (the bell rang)

I also carry a DeWalt battery powered impact wrench with sockets along with some wood blocks and planks so if I have a flat, I can roll the trailer up on the good tire and the bad tire will be off the ground.  With an impact you should be able to change the tire in less than five minutes, and quickness on the side of the road especially a freeway, quickness is a BIG SAFETY issue.

PS: If you have aluminum wheels on the trailer be sure the socket that you have will fit inside the recess for the lug nuts.  Some of the impact sockets will not fit. Check before you go.  For the aluminum wheels that I have on one of my trailers I carry a regular socket to get the tire on & off. Impact sockets will not work.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I'm looking for someone who has actually towed with a 5.0 litre Ford....is that enough engine for 10k lbs?

Posted (edited)

I tow with a 5.3 Silverado with a towing package.  Works fine, but does struggle some in the mountains. There you can see that it is not a diesel.  I live in Michigan, mostly relatively flat so not an issue.   If you drive with the truck rationally, it is fine.  I probably tow only 5-10% of the time and I did not want a truck that was l lot more than I would use most of it's driving time.  If I was towing 25% +, and towing a load closer to the maximum capacity of my current truck, I would have gotten a bigger truck. 

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I would not tow 10k with a F150 with any engine and trans combo, at 10k even a F350 dually is going to be getting pushed around. A half ton truck is ok to haul a lawnmower or other light load. You won’t realize how under powered and light the brakes are till you get in a sticky situation, by then it’s often too late. 2500 Heavy Duty truck is the absolute minimum you should be using to haul a car, and then, I would only use it on the flats for short distances.

• Like 2

We towed my dad's 35 Auburn last summer using my brother's 1/2 ton Ram with the Hemi.    The Auburn is not a big car,   trailer was 20 footer enclosed.  We only went 100 miles,  but I can't imagine going a distance, or pulling a heavier car with a 1/2 ton.

• Like 2

On 5/12/2019 at 9:42 AM, TVtommy said:

I'm looking for someone who has actually towed with a 5.0 litre Ford....is that enough engine for 10k lbs?

I actually accompanied a friend who towed his 1940s vintage Ford in a 10,000 lb rated enclosed trailer with a then-late model 1500 Series Ford and 5.0 Litre engine.

NEVER AGAIN, UNLESS IT WAS TO GET US BACK FROM AN EMERGENCY SITUATION !

The first overpass you come to, you will feel it downshift, initially out of overdrive, and then probably down to 2nd gear, revving substantially over 3,000-3,500 rpm.

But it will upshift as you come down the other side.

That is nothing, compared to when you come to any kind of a modest hill - 

and absolutely nothing compared to getting into any kind of mountains - and I don't mean the Rockies either - just mediocre stuff.

My 2500 Series trucks (Suburban, Avalanche, have 8.1 Litre engines, and they do have to downshift,

So does the 2500 version of the Excursion with the 7.4 Litre  Diesel at times,

but a little Half-ton 1500 Series Ford pickup with a 5.0 Litre will be working hard all of the time-

AND - the 1500 will not have the stronger chassis, steering, and especially the Brakes of the heavier series.

For the difference in safety, and modest difference in price, I'd never try towing a 10K closed trailer with anything less than a 2500, and go for the biggest engine possible.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

I actually accompanied a friend who towed his 1940s vintage Ford in a 10,000 lb rated enclosed trailer with a then-late model 1500 Series Ford and 5.0 Litre engine.

NEVER AGAIN, UNLESS IT WAS TO GET US BACK FROM AN EMERGENCY SITUATION !

The first overpass you come to, you will feel it downshift, initially out of overdrive, and then probably down to 2nd gear, revving substantially over 3,000-3,500 rpm.

But it will upshift as you come down the other side.

That is nothing, compared to when you come to any kind of a modest hill - 

and absolutely nothing compared to getting into any kind of mountains - and I don't mean the Rockies either - just mediocre stuff.

My 2500 Series trucks (Suburban, Avalanche, have 8.1 Litre engines, and they do have to downshift,

So does the 2500 version of the Excursion with the 7.4 Litre  Diesel at times,

but a little Half-ton 1500 Series Ford pickup with a 5.0 Litre will be working hard all of the time-

AND - the 1500 will not have the stronger chassis, steering, and especially the Brakes of the heavier series.

For the difference in safety, and modest difference in price, I'd never try towing a 10K closed trailer with anything less than a 2500, and go for the biggest engine possible.

Well put Mr Roth!  I might add an extra line that from coming from old school half ton gas engine trucks to one ton diesels and pretty much everything in between adding to your line diesel for a 10,000 GVW trailer tow vehicle.

Robert

• Like 1

On 5/7/2019 at 9:49 AM, TVtommy said:

Hello, and thanks reading....

Is anyone towing open carriers with an F150 5.0L?

If so, how is it working for you?

On 5/12/2019 at 8:42 AM, TVtommy said:

You are stuck on the engine.

The engine is one component.

The towing platform the engine goes into - the transmission it is mated to - the gear ratio of the rear differential - the suspension - the cooling system are

ewually important.

That truck is not suitable for the application you intend.

Jim

• Like 1