Recommended Posts

Having just advertised my Mga for sale I received  scam emails in the first day , so I  although I received the usual , scam want to buy emails , saying I’ll send you money if you send me your details etc,. I also received the one shown below , this is a new angle to me so thought I’d post to warn others. I’m not sure how it works , welcome suggestions . Just add I didn’t respond.

60E6D01F-E149-444F-9E6A-5BFFDEFB323B.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he is offering to put money into your Paypal account let him do it.

The only info he has is your email address. I wouldn't do the request thing. All he needs to send $ is your email associated with PP.

Just transfer it out right away into a bank account.

But I do agree that since he seems to be trying to sell you on the Paypal request it seems fishy.

Ask for a phone number so you can talk about adding the costs and see what happens.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not auto related, but another scam that we should all be aware of, was just in todays paper. A call usually comes in late at night. The phone only rings once or the message is garbled and all you can make out is "call me back quick". Not knowing who it is, some people will call back the number. The call, usually a 222 area code, is for a West African country. Once you call back you are hit with a very expensive toll call that is paid to the scammer. The bottom line is to never call back any numbers you are not familiar with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On another note, where did you advertise your MG?  My first car was a 1960 and I have the bug for anoher one.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although he is offering to send via pay pal , he could have done that as my email was listed in ad , but wants me to send request for money from PayPal ,must be some reason for the request . Just realised that will give him my name ,he already has email address and telephone number , think he may be collecting information for identity theft 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Zimm63 said:

On another note, where did you advertise your MG?  My first car was a 1960 and I have the bug for anoher one.

 

Car is a 1960, 1600 California car , but I brought to Cyprus to restore , completed now, if you want more info just pm  me .would ship back 

 

Edited by Pilgrim65 (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe this scam is a typical "Overpayment Scam".

Real basic description - They will send you more money than you request. After you receive the 'payment', they will 'apologize' for sending too much and ask you to refund them. After you 'pay them back' the difference, the original overpayment will have bounced or been declined - and you will have paid the scammer for nothing.

 

Although this link is from the Australian Government, it still gives an accurate rendition of this scam, regardless of where you live:

 https://www.scamwatch.gov.au/types-of-scams/buying-or-selling/overpayment-scams

 

Good Luck selling your MG!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 1931Chry said:

I believe this scam is a typical "Overpayment Scam".

Real basic description - They will send you more money than you request. After you receive the 'payment', they will 'apologize' for sending too much and ask you to refund them. After you 'pay them back' the difference, the original overpayment will have bounced or been declined - and you will have paid the scammer for nothing.

 

Although this link is from the Australian Government, it still gives an accurate rendition of this scam, regardless of where you live:

 https://www.scamwatch.gov.au/types-of-scams/buying-or-selling/overpayment-scams

 

Good Luck selling your MG!

concur!

Robert

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am wondering if sending a "request for payment" gives them some way to hack your account? There might be some way for them to steal your paypal password that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mike6024 said:

I am wondering if sending a "request for payment" gives them some way to hack your account? There might be some way for them to steal your paypal password that way.

Could be that once you send a payment request, it puts you under PayPal's jurisdiction then the buyer claims the item is defective and gets a refund.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some good information and suggestions , going to change my payment terms on ad 

thanks guys 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think if you requested money it’s handled differently and he can pull it back well after that sale is completed, if he sent you money without a request you have to be the one to initiate the refund.

 

Simple way to thwart the overpaid scam is to tell the yahoo that your account has been locked and you can’t repay his overpaying until you get it unlocked, then when his side fails to pay your not out anything, but when you have requested money I’m pretty sure he has the right to demand repayment from PayPal and they usually side with the paying party in a disputed case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...