Hello I am restoring this radiator shell. There was some pitting in the metal. I have filled the holes with solder and sanded them. The nickel on the emblem has come off over the years also have with some of the enamel. When I have the shell nickeled it will also stick to the copper on the emblem. Is there a way to repair the emblem?

AD1C5A87-ED7B-4C9E-A45B-7D7916CEE8E8.jpeg

How can I remove the emblem and reinstall it. 

mpgp Did you use soft lead solder or silver solder as used in plumbing to join copper pipes If you have used lead solder I dont think it can be nickled over 

I used a 70/30 lead tin. The shell gets copper plated prior to the nickel. 

Posted (edited)

If there is no way to fill in the emblem enamel then I can replace it. If can find  a spare emblem. I do not know how to swap them. 

Edited by Mpgp1999 (see edit history)

The medallion can be CAREFULLY pressed out from the rear side and a better one installed.

The emblem is cloisonné. The raised copper wires  create compartments (cloisons) into which ground glass is put then it is heated to melt the glass to make an enamel. As said above, there are experts that repair such things. It is a precise art. Twer it mine, I would play at making some cloisonné myself and see if I can learn enough to fix it.

If you do plan to use any refurb shop, be sure to write down all the dimensions (Diameter, circumference, and height at the edge and at the center, thickness) prior to sending off, then send those dimensions to the refurb shop and hold them to keeping it exact when completed...heat has a tendency to warp things...then they don't fit back exactly.....learn from my experience...that was not pleasant 😞

Except for the "B" this is what it should look like I believe.

Harold

20190508_155042_resized (002).jpg

20190508_155052 (002).jpg

• Like 1