RICHELIEUMOTORCAR

1932 Plymouth Woodie Station Wagon. Most likely the only one left.

Look at this! 1932 Plymouth Woodie Station Wagon with it's original Cantrell coachwork from new. First factory body Plymouth woodie was in 34 I believe. Talk about RARE. This is most likely the only remaining 32 Plymouth woodie known to still exist. The car has been fully covered and up on blocks so it held up well over time. The wood body is strong and the doors open and close tight. We parked it about 60 years ago. I lifted the car up with my forklift to inspect the underbody which also held up very well. The car is original, complete, a desirable 32 model and rare as Hen's teeth. I can get the car out now to be picked up within a short amount of time. Asking 20k. Thank you for looking.

IMG_5596.JPG

IMG_5600.JPG

IMG_5593.JPG

IMG_5592.JPG

IMG_5591_1.JPG

IMG_5597.JPG

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Cool car! Looks to be a 1931 PA Plymouth style with the flat grille. The 1932s are USUALLY related to the PB which is different than the 1931.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, keiser31 said:

Cool car! Looks to be a 1931 PA Plymouth style with the flat grille. The 1932s are USUALLY related to the PB which is different than the 1931.

I agree, I have several 31 PAs and several 32 PBs in the yard and the front of this car looks like a 31. However, it's titled as a 32. Maybe it was a leftover 31 chassis and was sent to the coach builder very late in the model year and was titled as a 32. Who knows? With that said, I have to go by the title. 

It has a 31 Instrument cluster to the quick way to tell if engine is original which it looks to be,Just look at top left of block and It will say PA###### or PB###### Its a PA.  Title is Incorrect but dmv's all did different ways back then,My 1916 Dodge was made in October but it is titled a 1917 go figure. The headlights are Incorrect and it has a 31 headlight bar also another tell tale is if the wire wheels are 19" ? The 32 had 18" and optional 17" Just my opine Matt, after having many plymouths between dad and me 1929-1934 over the years. Good Luck it's a rare bird.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, RICHELIEUMOTORCAR said:

Look at this! 1932 Plymouth Woodie Station Wagon with it's original Cantrell coachwork from new. First factory body Plymouth woodie was in 34 I believe. Talk about RARE. This is most likely the only remaining 32 Plymouth woodie known to still exist. The car has been fully covered and up on blocks so it held up well over time. The wood body is strong and the doors open and close tight. We parked it about 60 years ago. I lifted the car up with my forklift to inspect the underbody which also held up very well. The car is original, complete, a desirable 32 model and rare as Hen's teeth. I can get the car out now to be picked up within a short amount of time. Asking 20k. Thank you for looking.

Hi Rich, 

I've been trying to get a better understanding of Cantrell bodies from this era for a fellow Dodge Brother who is looking for answers. Can you tell us if there is any body tag anywhere showing how Cantrell would have labeled it ? If so, can you post a pic of it or any more information about it as well as the location of the tag ?

Thanks for your time and good luck on the sale. Very rare indeed !

Regards

Dave

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Hi Rich, 

I've been trying to get a better understanding of Cantrell bodies from this era for a fellow Dodge Brother who is looking for answers. Can you tell us if there is any body tag anywhere showing how Cantrell would have labeled it ? If so, can you post a pic of it or any more information about it as well as the location of the tag ?

Thanks for your time and good luck on the sale. Very rare indeed !

Regards

Dave

Hi there. Here is a photo of the original Cantrell label which is on the inside driver side door post. It's faded out, however, you can still ID what the label is. I have seen a photo online showing this same exact Cantrell label in perfect condition. I can not imagine someone reproduced it or if it was that well preserved. You may be able to search online and find the photo.

IMG_5590.JPG

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

After a quick search. From 1925 and on, the name was officially JT Cantrell & Company. Good info... 

Thanks for your help 

Cantrell 5.jpg

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Many "trucks" from 31 would have been carried over into 32.

They were practical back then and the vehicle would have been dated to when it sold.

Really only for export did they do that as always running into guys from Australia with handles they need are the end of year left overs from the previous car year and with truck  Plymouth had no truck line till 37  so the Cantrell was a line to make a special purpose vehicle out of a car similar to Mr Ford and his T’s right across  the factory street was truck boxes, depot hacks, hucksters etc., This is just my opine all I know is everything on that car frame and chassis is 1931 PA and betcha dollar the the engine is stamped PA as well its just the title.

good luck Matt with the sale you have something special either way.

RB

• Like 2

Does the woodie have dual side mount spares or a single, driver's side spare?

any "trucks" from 31 would have been carried over into 32.

They were practical back then and the vehicle would have been dated to when it sold.

this is my experience with owning over 5000 titles and looking at the dates and when they were dated.

It not a truck, its a car with a utility wood body put on it by Cantrell, making it a very rare woody Assy vehicle, and dam glad matt saved her thru all the years. but its a 1931 Plymouth PA. Mercer you can title it any way you want,call it anyway you read them, and the  dmv can do that too,  but the woody car is a 1931 PA, that's my point and my only point.  I could care less if it has a 1932 title it's not a 1932 to anybody that knows Plymouth's.  The 1932 used totally different parts,the 32 wheels would be 18" or optional 17" the 1931 wheels are 19" the 1932 headlights mounted on stands, exterior door handles are different, grille, Instrument panel, dash knobs,and the 1932 engine was a PB with 65 hp, the PA had 58hp was a silver dome four cylinder from my years Plymouth experience with my plymouth's and growing up with my fathers Plymouth's. That's the only Point I am making. Great woody again, I am done with this post. I hope someone comes along and saves & restores her!

Cheers!

RB

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, thehandleman said:

It not a truck, its a car with a utility wood body put on it by Cantrell, making it a very rare woody Assy vehicle, and dam glad matt saved her thru all the years. but its a 1931 Plymouth PA. Mercer you can title it any way you want,call it anyway you read them, and the  dmv can do that too,  but the woody car is a 1931 PA, that's my point and my only point.  I could care less if it has a 1932 title it's not a 1932 to anybody that knows Plymouth's.  The 1932 used totally different parts,the 32 wheels would be 18" or optional 17" the 1931 wheels are 19" the 1932 headlights mounted on stands, exterior door handles are different, grille, Instrument panel, dash knobs,and the 1932 engine was a PB with 65 hp, the PA had 58hp was a silver dome four cylinder from my years Plymouth experience with my plymouth's and growing up with my fathers Plymouth's. That's the only Point I am making. Great woody again, I am done with this post. I hope someone comes along and saves & restores her!

Cheers!

RB

You may be right. One way to find out, I will go out back and check the tire size. I will also check if the engine is stamped, PA or PB. I suspected it was a 31 all along until I found the title which says 32. I have a lot of Plymouths here, a lot of early mopars in general, in fact, a lot of everything in general. Anyways, for you Plymouth guys, behind it, I have a 31 PA roadster and a 32 PB convertible coupe both with rumble seats. I am hoping to make them available maybe before next winter if anyone is interested. I'm sure that 32 PB convertible coupe is also super rare. I have some Plymouth, Dodge and Chrysler touring cars from the same era although they have been kept inside all this time. Had a few rare DeSoto roadsters and touring cars, however, they sold a few years ago. Fun stuff to collect but still a headache to deal with all this crap. Ha. 

Edited by RICHELIEUMOTORCAR (see edit history)

never said it wasnt a 31...........................

dont get your liver in a quiver!

:)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thehandleman said:

Hey John, everyone keeps calling him Rich thats just his aaca name its Matt

😂

I wondered about that so I just shortened his "handle", man....lol.

• Like 2

I was going to same - the unsold 31’s carried over into ‘32 and were advertised as Thirft models.  It is completely possible this car / chassis sold new in 1932.   I have a 1932 PB which is distinct from a body perspective (grill/rad, hood, cowl, fenders, etc.).  ...1933 looked almost the same as 1932, but with a six instead of a four cylinder.

BTW:  Plymouth PB convertible coupes are beautiful cars. I’ve seen several and that or a collegiate roadster are on “my list”. 

• Like 2

Hi SparkEE,

Teach me how to tell the difference between a 1932 PB collegiate Roadster and a 1932 PB Roadster? as I have a PB Roadster but I thought Walter Chrysler offered college grads to paint the PB roadster if they bought the roadster, then chrysler would paint there school colors but other then that, I know of no differences ? I always thought mine was a Michigan college colors but no evidence, and yes the convertible coupes are very good looking cars.

cheers

8570DF76-9ADE-4249-96AB-21C97F3D9F3B.jpeg

• Like 2

A friend of mine has a ‘32 PB Collegiate colors. It was originally navy/gold (U of Mich). He restored it to the original colors. Beautiful!

16 hours ago, thehandleman said:

Hi SparkEE,

Teach me how to tell the difference between a 1932 PB collegiate Roadster and a 1932 PB Roadster? as I have a PB Roadster but I thought Walter Chrysler offered college grads to paint the PB roadster if they bought the roadster, then chrysler would paint there school colors but other then that, I know of no differences ? I always thought mine was a Michigan college colors but no evidence, and yes the convertible coupes are very good looking cars.

cheers

8570DF76-9ADE-4249-96AB-21C97F3D9F3B.jpeg

First let me say, that’s a beautiful car!

Perhaps I should have said roadster rather than collegiate roadster, as I don’t recall the difference and would likely have read it in the Plymouth Bulletin or period literature that’s presently inaccessible.  What sticks in my mind is a windshield that fold forward.  Is that a feature of all ‘32 PB roadsters?

10668DB3-4461-4926-BCAD-905B80E6CF4B.jpeg

• Like 2