Shaved Door Handles

My dad did it on his Studebaker. They tend to drain the battery after sitting about a week. If I were to do anything I would experiment with different or smaller door handles but I wouldn't take them off. I personally think first gen Mazda Miata door handles are good because they are simple and small.

I've never heard of them draining a battery, and can't understand why that switch would drain a battery any more than a headlight switch in the off position. To drain the attery, something has to be using energy.

That being said, one down side is not being able to get into the car because of a dead battery. Remote jumper terminals would solve this.

I like shaved handles on a lot of cars, and in fact thought my '72 Centurion I had in high school would have been great with shaved handles. You get what you pay for with them--don't get cheap ones.

You'll have to run wires or terminals from the A-pillar to the door, too. There are several ways to do this. Start reading some street rodding magazines and check out the advertisers.

Late model handles are also a good alternative. I'll be going that route on my '56 Chevy, for what it's worth.

Have fun!

-Brad

Make sure you get the strongest door poppers you can. That car is a big heavy door and it takes a strong popper to open it. Don't be cheap in this area.

There's another trick to shaving the door handles. You can make a manual override with a choke cable, attach one end to the internal door handle and run the other end to a hidden location under the car. There are lots of plates and bolts that can be used to make a disguised handle.

This only has to be done on one side.

My sentiments exactly! If you shave your handles, make sure you've figured out a manual override before you shut the door. Once the doors are shut and something goes wrong, you're not going to open it with a slim jim! The best and cheapest way to get in is break a window. (That's experience talking, fortunatly not my car.)

I actually never got the shaved door handle craze. The handles are part of the art. Just more chrome trim highlights. I like the handles on my Deltas and my 86 Buicks. They all have handles with the good ol' thumb button. I love em'. The handle is a handle and the lever is not something you also pull on to open and hold the door. Handleless doors may have their place on modern sports cars but not on a classy chassis. My opinion of course.

I actually heard of a couple who were trapped in their Model A at a show because the battery died and he shaved the handles outside and on the inside! Left just little electric buttons to get out, and a remote on his key to get in. He pulled into a show and the battery died. He didn't know when he shut the car off. It was cold, and the windows fogged up. It was a real long time before they were able to get out!

That from the "Things dummer than I've done" files. Which isn't a real thick file--I can usually top 'em!

-Brad

Not to mention they won't pass state safety inspection most places, and attract unwanted fuzz attention simply because it's different and they can't open the door to yank you out of the car...

Ive never had a problem with the cops due to my door handles or the guys at the inspection station BUT.... If you live in an area where you get ice and snow the doors freeze closed and theres nothing to grab other than the top of the door (if you can). If its a fair weather car I say go for it the look is worth it!

Good Luck

• 2 months later...