Hello, sorry if this topic has already come up, but are parts from different third gen Buick models compatible with my third gen LeSabre? I'd like to buy after market parts for it but I'm not sure where to look. It seems that not a lot of people are looking to restore the LeSabre. All I can find are 'universal' parts which I would like to stay away from if possible. If anyone could answer and of my questions or at least point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it. 

Thanks,

Nick

Hmmnnn!  I think you have to give us a bit more information.  What year is your Le Sabre, and what are you looking to accomplish and what are you looking to buy?  

I have a 1969 2 door hardtop LeSabre with a 5.7L and right now I need a new gas tank, online I can only seem to find one for the Electra, Wildcat, and Riviera of that same year. So I was wondering if that would be the same for the LeSabre. I understand there are going to be differences between each of the models but as it goes for suspension, brakes, electrical, and other somewhat generic things on the vehicle, I think that GM would probably use the same parts. I was just wondering if anyone know for certain or could point me in the right direction. I just recently purchased a Chiltions manual for Buicks of that year, but haven't had a chance to look through it.   

Posted (edited)

Personally, I use www.rockauto.com as a research source for mechanical car parts.  It's very possible that the LeSabre could use a Chevy Impala fuel tank (a few gallons less capacity) or it might be that the Electra tanks would work too (possibly a gallon or so more capacity)?

Back after I had got my '68 LeSabre, I was in a local salvage yard and found a windshield washer reservoir.  It looked to be in good shape and was on a '68 Electra.  I noticed several things in the underhood area of that Electra that were different than my LeSabre.  I got the reservoir as it was in good condition.  When I got it back to my shop and started to compare it to where the old one was on my LeSabre, I took the old one off and started to install the Electra one.  THAT was when something went off in my head.  About how "bigger cars got different parts than less expensive cars" of the same make.

The Electra reservoir was about twice the volume of the LeSabre reservoir, BUT when I started to put in the attaching screws, that's when the major difference was noticed.  The spread on the bolt holes was 1/2 bolt hole WIDER on the Electra item, than the holes where the LeSabre part had been.  NOT a bolt-in situation, without some modifications.  So much for that "upgrade"!

The Chilton's manual might be good to have, but the BEST thing to have is a genuine Buick Chassis service manual for that model year.  If it's anything like the one for my '68 LeSabre, it's a GREAT teaching/learning situation.  Going into the Theories of Operation of major components of the vehicle, for example.  End result, some of the same stuff that dealership mechanics might go to GM Training Centers to learn.  Pretty neat and detailed in those areas.

Back then, each GM division was it's own entity, although Fisher Body was moving toward more standardized parts "under the skin".  Kind of like the multitude of hvac fan switches, which were the same basic switch, but with different operating levers and mounting brackets.

As for allegedly valid "will fit" cross-over parts, the Hollander Interchange Manual is the best resource, used by salvage yards back then.  If some other part might fit, it'll list it and what it might take to make it fit and work.

Can the fuel tank be repaired?

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)