mickthecat

Which Early Automobiles used Beaver Engines?

I'm trying to find a little about the history of this 2-cylinder opposed engine I picked up recently.  Can anyone tell me what cars used Beaver engines, and when did Beaver start producing them?  What sort of reputation did they have among the people who owned them and worked on them?  I know quite a few of these engines ended up in Schacht highwheelers. This engine, however, has different mounting points that makes me think it was originally transversely mounted. Any ideas? I'm hoping I can do something more with this engine than use it for "yard art."  Thanks for looking.

beav01.jpg

beav02.jpg

Enger Motor Car Company - also in Cincinnati Ohio with Schacht  - used a 40HP 4 cylinder L head Beaver engine (same engine as early Mercers before Mercer began producing their own T head) in their Model 40 series of cars from 1910 to 1914.

• Like 1

Beaver was, in fact, one of the early successful engine builders...

Don't have their beginning, but Std Cat says two Waite cars, built 1907-08 had Beaver 4s, that  the Waies went into partnership with the Beaver Mfg co to produce the Petrel 1909-12 ....under Petrel it states the engine co  and the Petrel were sold to "Filer & Stewart", who also started the FS car, both cars gone1912; I didn't follow the engine co history after that

A 1917 ring catalog lists some 29 engines and/or variations, with two 2cyls listed...a  1908 UB 43/4 bore and a 1909 TB 51/8 bore...other 4s and 6s ranged fron 21/4 b0re to 51/2 bores, but that catalog listed no strokes...

Can't comment on their marine engines, but they had fair representation in Ag with a number of tractor engines and, presumably, industrial users...

May have a list of what used them; will look thru files.   Notes say later absorbed/bought by LeRoi 1926; that LeRoi built both Beavers and their own engines for short period?? before discontinuing Beaver name,.

Ed Malcom,, who posts on smokstak under his own name, was (is, if he's still there) the longtime Leroi Guru; he might have more info on the early Beaver 2s...

The Company that was related to Beaver is still in business - Filer and Stowell.  They make stationary woodworking equipment.  They are a good source of information on Beaver.

• Like 1

I’d be a buyer at $500 plus shipping. Need to save it. George Albright Ocala Florida. Cell weekdays 10-4 est 352 843 1624. Email. Gnalbright@gmail.com 

Sorry, can't he;p on the 2cyls; do have a partial Beaver list but all  either refer to 4s and 6s or not identifying the Beaver engine used...l

Thanks to all who replied.  Now to figure out how to get it unstuck, and to see what condition the internal parts are in.