DB Tool Kit Spanners (Wrenches)

For some time I've been collecting every DB tool kit spanner I see.  You would be surprised how many turn up for $A1 or less.  While I'm familiar with the usual ones (Q6164, 6165 and 1191) with the usual variations of size indications and Moore Forging marks a couple do not conform.  These are 1191s (3/4" and 7/8") with an L rather than Q prefix  and clearly marked D.B.

My question is, are these from the early teens?  All the hand books I have are from the 1920s and only mention the Q series of numbers.   

Dodge Brothers & "Others"

As I was restoring our Family Heirloom 1923 Business / Commercial Car ("Screen Side"), I became interested in finding the ORIGINAL Tools that came in the Tool Kit Roll.

Over a 10-year period of time, I was able to collect and mount all of the Factory furnished tools and a few that would have made owning and maintaining the early D-B's so much easier.

I displayed this Tool Board at the 2017 National Meet at Fallbrook, California as well taking it to the Technical Session for comments. The only questions received were ones regarding the Q-8524 (Wrench Steering Gear Eccentric Bushing"). There were several comments addressing that another style of this wrench might also be Double-Ended with the Number "5" stamped on one side of the handle. As far as I am concerned, the "Holy Grail" of a D-B Tool collection MUST be the  Q-12606 Valve Grinding Tool, as these are extremely difficult to find.

My experience with the "L"  designation tools were these wrenches were supplied from the Factory with the most early 1915 through 1917 Cars.

The tools from the late 20's and 30's era of D-B's are somewhat nebulous as too which numbered tools were supplied from the Factory with the later Cars & Trucks. I suggest contacting The Dodge Brothers Club Store to order John Bittence's

definative booklet on factory supplied D-B Tools and which vehicles they went with. 

I am far from being a D-B Tool expert, but I am willing to discuss D-B Tools and what they were used on with like minded folks.

Keep-on-Dodgin'

Donn Marinovich

donncharles1@gmai.com

(209) 533-3663 in California 

100_2184.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks - I think that answers my question.  With regard to other DB tools I think that if you if you are really keen the ones to find are the specialized workshop tools made by Miller Tool, and Manufacturing Co.  I have their catalog (undated) which shows a range of gadgets indispensable to the contemporary DB repairer.  Is anyone familiar with these?    

• 2 years later...

I had to think for a while but the official jack is from Auto Specialties. There are a few different top swivels, flat, half round, etc. I forget which is actually correct. This may be a better picture of the handle. And I believe the hubcap wrench is the one you need for a DA, the u shaped one. There are little divots in the back of the hubcap for the wrench to fit in. 

31%20Dodge%20tools%202.jpg

Edited by nearchoclatetown (see edit history)

17 hours ago, RichBad said:

Ah, yes, that looks spot on.  I’m guessing I may have to try and make one as I can’t imagine they are easy to find.  Thanks for the pic.

Hi Rich,

I have an extra handle with 1/2" square tang (if I recall from memory), but shipping to Australia is ridiculous right now and not sure it would be worth it to you.  

PM me if you are interested or want pics

Regards
Dave

On 5/6/2019 at 3:09 PM, TonyAus said:

Thanks - I think that answers my question.  With regard to other DB tools I think that if you if you are really keen the ones to find are the specialized workshop tools made by Miller Tool, and Manufacturing Co.  I have their catalog (undated) which shows a range of gadgets indispensable to the contemporary DB repairer.  Is anyone familiar with these?    

Hi Tony,  

I have one of those around here somewhere, will try and find it. What year was yours printed?

Off topic somewhat..

I'm still trying to locate a working Auto Specialties 951 jack for my tool kit if anyone has one.

The book at the club store is a must for anyone researching DB tools

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, nearchoclatetown said:

I had to think for a while but the official jack is from Auto Specialties. There are a few different top swivels, flat, half round, etc. I forget which is actually correct. This may be a better picture of the handle. And I believe the hubcap wrench is the one you need for a DA, the u shaped one. There are little divots in the back of the hubcap for the wrench to fit in. 

31%20Dodge%20tools%202.jpg

I think I have a couple of the U-shaped wrench if anyone needs one.

4 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Hi Rich,

I have an extra handle with 1/2" square tang (if I recall from memory), but shipping to Australia is ridiculous right now and not sure it would be worth it to you.  

PM me if you are interested or want pics

Regards
Dave

Hi Tony,  

I have one of those around here somewhere, will try and find it. What year was yours printed?

Off topic somewhat..

I'm still trying to locate a working Auto Specialties 951 jack for my tool kit if anyone has one.

The book at the club store is a must for anyone researching DB tools

Thanks Dave!  Yea, shipping is pretty nuts at the moment.  Tony has done me a good drawing so I’m going to have a crack at making one - May end up coming back to you though;)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

While on the subject of DB tools I’d got hold of a correct oil tank.  From pictures I’ve seen it looks like these were mounted to the bulkhead but I’ve had no luck in finding a mounting bracket.  So, I’ve had a crack at making one - bent it up from stainless and it seems to be OK (should probably be spring steel but that would be quite hard to shape).

Did a sample out of a thinner piece first to get the shape approximately right then started on the real thing.

528FAAEF-27B1-4705-BE3C-F75EFBB7FC6D.jpeg.ee9f4f84f054735c465276e3893e24ba.jpeg

Almost finished, just needs some tweaks and trimming.

1DC5B6CB-9864-46A9-AA86-B92D09AA527C.jpeg.59adff5435fcec20c56dd0a5476eb744.jpeg

Finished, just need to make the attaching plate and bolt to the car.

2E9F7407-4799-496B-8711-6187B7817EB3.jpeg.3c1e9777201285fbdcb7848073627841.jpeg

BAD815D1-E7BA-4BCA-9307-E5C2DD8F370D.jpeg.743a2be46285f4d0010112df3bcc83d4.jpeg

• Like 4

That has come up a treat Rich. Bending the wire brackets are harder than it looks hey. I had to do the same for mine. 

Ron sent me a tool bag he made and some tools for my roadster today. 
Thanks mate it’s perfect. 

90C8020F-3A30-4900-A8C8-9A39DBF3D0B1.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...