Sign in to follow this  
filozof97

Vacuum operated accessories

Somewhere in my stash of stuff I have an accessory that one would open and flick his ashes into it.

It would suck the ash and deposit them into a glass jar. That thing is vacuum operated.

I think I also have one of those rubber bladed vacuum fans that Walt mentioned above.

I can't believe that all you guys forgot the famous Wolf Whistle.  You can still buy one.  A gentle series of pulls on the actuator string could make all kinds of noises.

See 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JACK M said:

Somewhere in my stash of stuff I have an accessory that one would open and flick his ashes into it.

It would suck the ash and deposit them into a glass jar. That thing is vacuum operated.

I think I also have one of those rubber bladed vacuum fans that Walt mentioned above.

I remember them.  As I recall, it was called an "Ash-a-way".

Craig

4 hours ago, PFitz said:

Craig, thank you for adding that. Yes, about a dozen top manufactures used the Startix system in the 30's.

First units I ever saw were on a former customer's  Pierce-Arrow collection. It's been over 20 year since I worked on Pierce-Arrows and I can't remember if there was that vacuum switch on their intake system. Not sure if all used that switch because it's not always mentioned in literature about how the Startix works. That's why I just mentioned the Franklin setup, which I know for certain had it.

Paul

You are correct. Only later systems had that vacuum-operated circuit interrupter switch, as per an older post on Startix here --------->

Craig

Posted (edited)

Thanks for posting that link, Craig.

Not sure when others started using them, but Franklin did use the intake manifold mounted backfire circuit breakers on 1932 models same as the units shown in that link. Those I have worked on in recent years. But rather than try to get that not-so-reliable complexity working again, the customers have gone for installing a simple 6 volt starter relay mounted under the toe board near the starter motor and leave the Startix system all in place for "show" only.

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)

Thanks for all replies;

I'd like to ask one more thing. If the car is equipped with combination fuel - vacuum pump, should it be connected directly to wiper motor etc. or should it be connected, using tee - joint to the manifold vacuum line and wiper motor?

Posted (edited)

The Stewart vacuum tanks I'm familiar with all came with a tee fitting screwed into the top cover of the tank. The intake manifold vacuum line and a thinner line to the wiper motor, both connect to that tee.

Paul

DSCN1319.JPG

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Here are the turn signals I mentioned before. 

Got a later 'Wig-Wag' stop light (which also used vacuum)?

Craig

My 1935 Cadillac has vacuum assisted mechanical brakes. I'm sure other models/makes did, also. The brakes work very well. There is some

fade on mountain roads, probably due to the lining material.

Phil

If I remember right my dads 49 olds 98 to door hardtop had vacuum operated power wiindows

On 5/4/2019 at 7:01 PM, JamesR said:

Some of the accessories on my '65 T-Bird aren't operational, so I can't know for sure, but it appears that the console controlled real interior vent is/was vacuum powered. At least there's what looks like a vacuum line fitting on it.

The rear vent for the 64 and 65 Tbird was vacuum operated.  Also unique to that car was that the wiper motor was hydraulic, driven off the power steering pump.  That gave you a variable speed wiper.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kgreen said:

The rear vent for the 64 and 65 Tbird was vacuum operated.  Also unique to that car was that the wiper motor was hydraulic, driven off the power steering pump.  That gave you a variable speed wiper.

Thanks Kgreen. I got the car not long ago and there are still things that are slightly mysterious. When I turned the wipers on briefly, I definitely got the impression they weren't electric, but I knew the car was far too late to have vacuum wipers. I now have an explanation, thanks to you. I have the shop manual, but it's thick and it'll be a while before I get to the wipers.

Or maybe not. I just ordered a power steering pump because I need the steering gear replaced so it's a good time to replace the noisy pump too.

10 hours ago, JustDave said:

If I remember right my dads 49 olds 98 to door hardtop had vacuum operated power wiindows

They were electro-hydraulic, not vacuum.  An electric motor pumped fluid from an underhood reservoir to individual cylinders below the windows to raise them.  A solenoid-operated check valve allowed the window to lower.   Convertible tops, front seats, and radio antennas on certain cars were also hydraulic.

Craig

6 hours ago, kgreen said:

Also unique to that car was that the wiper motor was hydraulic, driven off the power steering pump.  That gave you a variable speed wiper.

Lincoln (at least the Continental Mark III model) also used the same hydraulic windshield wipers.  I know on Thunderbirds, it was used from 1961 through 1971.

Craig

After being in then auto body collision world for around 45 years I have my opinions,first off I started off cleaning cars,then asa painters helper then as a painter then as a metal man,first off as a metal man you started with a body file a pick hammer and a dolly and slapped.most body work in ,the shop consists of collision work not body work,body work finishes the job before paint,sIncethe mid to late 60 s  polyester filler has been used for a couple of simple reasone,1 it is faster,2it is less expensive3 alotof the sheetmetal is what they call is high strength low alloy steel,this steel is strong but thin and doesn’t take heat well,between heat and the weight of lead the industry needed a light weight filler,in the early years I believe bonds was just resin and talc,in the last15 years the filler has came along ways,4 th is thehealthconcernwith lead,bonds or polyester fillers was supposed to be used for imperfections only,but soon body men realized they could use it far thicker than what was recommended,when your on commission you. Work fast and cut corners,now for primers,in the old days it was common to use lacquer primer,you could apply numerous oats with no problem,body work was finished with 80 grit sandpaper,fast forward to today,the metal work is finished with 150 to 220 grit sandpaper,you cannot put numerous oats of primer as before,the primer now is more of a primer sealer than it is a sutfacer,you prepextra goodnow with these primers,the prick to a good paint job is always in the prep and prime,don’t cut corners and don’t try and hide your flaws,just my 2 cents.  Dave