Mpgp1999

Looking for 20’ enclosed trailer to RENT

I am in the San Francisco Bay aera. I am trying go to the Dodge Brothers International Meet in June. I would like to rent a trailer from 6/18-7/7

EA5C7EC3-A9A7-480A-9F49-24EAE77A05CB.jpeg

You can’t “ rent “ a trailer from a private party.

Both you and the renter will have no coverage from your insurance companies.

Both you & the renter will be civilly liable for any claims arising out of your use.

If you get stopped by law enforcement - the assumption likely will be that you stole the trailer.

Bad idea .....

Jim

4 hours ago, Steve Hammatt said:

Hi

You may want to check this site out:

https://www.fjmtruckcenter.com/default.asp?page=xInventoryDetail&id=3975268&p=2&s=Year&d=D&vt=cargo trailer&fr=xrentalinventory

Trailer looks like it could handle your Dodge with no problems.

Steve

Thanks for the link.  I contacted them they said I can not go out of state. I booked my time a lot just in case. My insurance company said that from a liability point I am insured with a rented/borrowed trailer. But I am on my own for comprehensive and collision. 

I noticed that you have the car on an open trailer.  If you are not needing an enclosed trailer what about a Uhaul open trailer?  They are very sensitive to the tow vehicle but just a suggestion.  Will a 20 foot trailer be long enough to adjust the car for optimum tongue weight?

Robert

6 hours ago, Robert Street said:

I noticed that you have the car on an open trailer.  If you are not needing an enclosed trailer what about a Uhaul open trailer?  They are very sensitive to the tow vehicle but just a suggestion.  Will a 20 foot trailer be long enough to adjust the car for optimum tongue weight?

Robert

For short distances I can use an open trailer but for long distances an enclosed is a must. 

You could just buy one - then  sell it  after the meet..

I found a trailer that I can rent but the door height is 70” my car is 73” could I deflate the tires. The interior is 73” or 74”

• Sad 1

I don't think you would gain that much clearance, and could damage the tires in the loading/unloading process (In and out total 4-times?)

If you look at the "brakeover" height of the opening you will find that it should fit. The car isnt going in to the trailer flat it is going up a ramp so it will not be at full height thru the door opening. It might take some geometry exercises but I bet it will fit as long as the inside height is enuf to handle the car. My pickup went into a buddys trailer even tho it looked like it was too tall but since the rear wheels were on the ramp and lower than the trailer floor it went in no problem and was OK once it was inside. I would not deflate the tires which as they said above could cause damage. Sounds like it will be very close with that trailer no matter what.

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 6:43 PM, Trulyvintage said:

You can’t “ rent “ a trailer from a private party.

Both you and the renter will have no coverage from your insurance companies.

Both you & the renter will be civilly liable for any claims arising out of your use.

If you get stopped by law enforcement - the assumption likely will be that you stole the trailer.

Bad idea .....

Jim

Jim , You are wrong at least here in NY . The trailer is insured by the vehicle towing it. (Have you heard of U-HAUL ) The police don't care who belongs to the trailer if it isn't reported stolen. By chance do you truck old cars for a living?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mikewest said:

Jim , You are wrong at least here in NY . The trailer is insured by the vehicle towing it. (Have you heard of U-HAUL ) The police don't care who belongs to the trailer if it isn't reported stolen. By chance do you truck old cars for a living?

U haul is a commercial business - not a private party - they offer optional rental insurance which only extends to the drivers listed on the contact.

If the primary rental party allows another person to operate a rental vehicle or use a piece of equipment without express written notice and agreement to the rental company - the rental company is not liable for damages.

A vehicle towing a trailer does not automatically insure the trailer - the operator  of the vehicle towing the trailer is responsible.

Police do not cite vehicles - they cite operators behind the wheel.

If you are stopped towing a trailer that is not registered in your name - the police very much do care - unless you can prove beyond a reasonable doubt you have permission from the registered owner to be towing it - you will not continue on your way.

Jim