Looking for 20’ enclosed trailer to RENT

You can’t “ rent “ a trailer from a private party.

Both you and the renter will have no coverage from your insurance companies.

Both you & the renter will be civilly liable for any claims arising out of your use.

If you get stopped by law enforcement - the assumption likely will be that you stole the trailer.

Bad idea .....

Jim

4 hours ago, Steve Hammatt said:

Hi

You may want to check this site out:

https://www.fjmtruckcenter.com/default.asp?page=xInventoryDetail&id=3975268&p=2&s=Year&d=D&vt=cargo trailer&fr=xrentalinventory

Trailer looks like it could handle your Dodge with no problems.

Steve

Thanks for the link.  I contacted them they said I can not go out of state. I booked my time a lot just in case. My insurance company said that from a liability point I am insured with a rented/borrowed trailer. But I am on my own for comprehensive and collision. 

I noticed that you have the car on an open trailer.  If you are not needing an enclosed trailer what about a Uhaul open trailer?  They are very sensitive to the tow vehicle but just a suggestion.  Will a 20 foot trailer be long enough to adjust the car for optimum tongue weight?

Robert

6 hours ago, Robert Street said:

I noticed that you have the car on an open trailer.  If you are not needing an enclosed trailer what about a Uhaul open trailer?  They are very sensitive to the tow vehicle but just a suggestion.  Will a 20 foot trailer be long enough to adjust the car for optimum tongue weight?

Robert

For short distances I can use an open trailer but for long distances an enclosed is a must. 

I don't think you would gain that much clearance, and could damage the tires in the loading/unloading process (In and out total 4-times?)

If you look at the "brakeover" height of the opening you will find that it should fit. The car isnt going in to the trailer flat it is going up a ramp so it will not be at full height thru the door opening. It might take some geometry exercises but I bet it will fit as long as the inside height is enuf to handle the car. My pickup went into a buddys trailer even tho it looked like it was too tall but since the rear wheels were on the ramp and lower than the trailer floor it went in no problem and was OK once it was inside. I would not deflate the tires which as they said above could cause damage. Sounds like it will be very close with that trailer no matter what.

• 1 month later...
On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 6:43 PM, Trulyvintage said:

You can’t “ rent “ a trailer from a private party.

Both you and the renter will have no coverage from your insurance companies.

Both you & the renter will be civilly liable for any claims arising out of your use.

If you get stopped by law enforcement - the assumption likely will be that you stole the trailer.

Bad idea .....

Jim

Jim , You are wrong at least here in NY . The trailer is insured by the vehicle towing it. (Have you heard of U-HAUL ) The police don't care who belongs to the trailer if it isn't reported stolen. By chance do you truck old cars for a living?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mikewest said:

Jim , You are wrong at least here in NY . The trailer is insured by the vehicle towing it. (Have you heard of U-HAUL ) The police don't care who belongs to the trailer if it isn't reported stolen. By chance do you truck old cars for a living?

U haul is a commercial business - not a private party - they offer optional rental insurance which only extends to the drivers listed on the contact.

If the primary rental party allows another person to operate a rental vehicle or use a piece of equipment without express written notice and agreement to the rental company - the rental company is not liable for damages.

A vehicle towing a trailer does not automatically insure the trailer - the operator  of the vehicle towing the trailer is responsible.

Police do not cite vehicles - they cite operators behind the wheel.

If you are stopped towing a trailer that is not registered in your name - the police very much do care - unless you can prove beyond a reasonable doubt you have permission from the registered owner to be towing it - you will not continue on your way.

Jim

• 1 month later...
On 6/26/2019 at 5:35 AM, Trulyvintage said:

U haul is a commercial business - not a private party - they offer optional rental insurance which only extends to the drivers listed on the contact.

If the primary rental party allows another person to operate a rental vehicle or use a piece of equipment without express written notice and agreement to the rental company - the rental company is not liable for damages.

A vehicle towing a trailer does not automatically insure the trailer - the operator  of the vehicle towing the trailer is responsible.

Police do not cite vehicles - they cite operators behind the wheel.

If you are stopped towing a trailer that is not registered in your name - the police very much do care - unless you can prove beyond a reasonable doubt you have permission from the registered owner to be towing it - you will not continue on your way.

Jim

In Oregon, my truck insurance also insures the trailer and contents, even out of state and even with my dad’s cars and trailers. I checked with my company and tried to buy separate trailer insurance. I’ve been stopped multiple times hauling a car. None of the cops questioned the car or the trailer. They probably could, but is it likely? Does anyone know anyone where that happened?

FYI, stops were for driving in the wrong lane while towing, loose license plate on trailer (one bolt went missing and another for speeding. Luckily I got warnings each time. Then there was the one stop with @JackM in Texas with no trailer, but my son owns the truck, not me. (I’m on the insurance  but the cops can’t tell from the insurance card). No one cared. Interestingly, however, driving a Tundra in TX with Oregon plates and a cover on the bed, makes you a drug dealer. 🤷‍♀️ Also no ticket. 

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)

Jim, as a commercial hauler who has travelled through the strictest states in the union, you have great insight.  But, also remember each state has different insurance laws and towing for pleasure is different than towing for commercial purposes.

Here in KY, and most states, for personal insurance, the insurance follows the truck, not the driver.  If a truck is pulling a trailer, liability extends to the trailer.  The insurance on the truck is primary, regardless who is driving.  Here, no officer is going to have any problem with you towing a trailer for personal use, unless they see reason to. Trailers here don’t even have titles most of the time.  They don’t need to be licensed.  The police have no idea who the owner is.

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 39BuickEight said:

Jim, as a commercial hauler who has travelled through the strictest states in the union, you have great insight.  But, also remember each state has different insurance laws and towing for pleasure is different than towing for commercial purposes.

Here in KY, and most states, for personal insurance, the insurance follows the truck, not the driver.  If a truck is pulling a trailer, liability extends to the trailer.  The insurance on the truck is primary, regardless who is driving.  Here, no officer is going to have any problem with you towing a trailer for personal use, unless they see reason to. Trailers here don’t even have titles most of the time.  They don’t need to be licensed.  The police have no idea who the owner is.

Very similar in Oregon and as someone in Title insurance over 15 years and very familiar with insurance regulations, you are 💯 about them varying by state. ✔️

I’d recommend that the original poster get info from his insurance company on such an important matter.