Roof Rail seal going around blow out clip

Honda Don

Maybe someone has dealt with this? My 68 2 door Wildcat is getting new weatherstripping. Old one was missing when I bought the car. I am confused as to how I put the new seal around the so called blow out clip. I know this this serves a purpose: To guide the window when going up. Why does it need to be there? The front window is being guided up buy the rear quarter window vertical seal. The last thing I want to do is start hacking on this seal in dealing with this clip. Any advice....please!

IMG_2653.JPG

The weatherstrip simply tucks into that clip -- no cutting!  The clip shields the bottom of the weatherstrip from being inadvertently pulled from the channel by the window (going up, or as door closes).  Just poke it into the clip so that the tip of the weather seal sits in the bottom of the "J".

• Like 1

Hmmmm, I don't know about the part that fits into the channel, but at least the exposed lip seal seems OK to me.  That 180* curve at the very top looks like it should fit into the channel.  Probably a good idea to spray the weatherstrip with Windex (or similar) to lubricate it and avoid tearing as you stuff it into the channel.

• Like 1

The seal that typically goes into that channel looks a lot like a triangle at the profile.  The skinny side of the triangle goes into the channel and tucks up inside there.  The clip just cradles the rubber when it's installed.  I think you have the wrong rubber, there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your time and thoughts! Attached and on the left is the first seal I bought.... no way this one will work, sent back. Current one is from CARS (Old Buick Parts), and these guys are top notch and the way it fits, this one seems 100% correct, except for the inboard blowout clip issue. There is no outboard clip, never was there, just this one. This one hugs the interior trim, fits into the channel, window tucks up into, everything! This molding can not tuck up against the clip, I know in some case it does, but not this one. Would be way too thick of a bulge. 

This car is 99.999% there, 1 family for 51 years, unmolested. So.... I am also on Facebook pages specific for Wildcat owners and have been pleading with someone to snap a photo of their 67 or 68 to no avail.

Different manufacturers are totally reluctant to show me a profile of their claimed fit for this Buick, just wanting to sell me the weatherstripping....that's been very frustrating. And, everyone I have reached out to are very reputable.

Me and this clip just may get separated today....I really really don't see the need for it. On the other hand...it is there for a reason.

Thanks again you kind folks! I'm still listening if you are there

IMG_2657.JPG

IMG_2666.JPG

Edited by Honda Don
spelling (see edit history)

ONE key to finding parts is to first find somebody that really knows what was on the car when new, OR can find out.  Credibility should also be in that mix, too, which can be take a while to determine, by observation.  

In general, I concur that the w/strip you display is not correct.  Why?  The correct w/strip should not stick out past the metal channel itself, nor should it stick down below the clip, either.  At least not by the amounts illustrated in your pictures.  Those are the basic dynamics of GM hardtop w/strips of that era, generally.

The main sealing point, with the window up, is on that upper edge of the glass, not particularly the more vertical parts of the rubber as it contacts the glass.  That clip's purpose is to guide the glass into that w/strip groove at the top as the window is rolled up.

In many respects, the GM Body Assembly Manual is more "representative" than "vehicle-specific.  Unlike the particular model year Chassis Manual or related parts book.  The body manual, as a result, is not an "absolute" resource, just a way to lead the repairperson in how to fix things.

I'd suggest that you find some other similar cars to look at.  The factory w/strips were quite soft with an outside skin on them (for durability), rather than being "dense".  Some of the allegedly-better replacement w/strips claim the added density is an asset, but sometimes it might not be.

If I"m wrong, then we've both learned something.

Of course, ONE of the best places to look at other similar Buicks will be the BCA National Meet!  Midwest City, OK, this year.  

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

• Like 1

Great comment NTX and ya'all too, I opened up a can of clip b gone....success! The fit is great all around, seals properly. I will find Wildcats out there at some point and will get the rest of the story told in 68. As for Mr. Clip.... not to worry, I have a T.I.G. welder to spot weld it in if necessary. Hope I can help others along the way. 

• Like 1

Blow out clips are just that. They keep the windows from blowing out at speed.  It's called the Bernuolli effect.  You've seen older convertibles going down the road with the top bulging. Same effect.  The wind going across a curved surface will have a tendency to "lift" it.  That will happen to your windows; lift them out of their "tracks."

Some of the need for those clips can have to do with the length of the scissor arms on the window regulator, I suspect.  When windows were shorter and doors were shorter, there was enough stiffness (lack of deflection) in the regulator to keep things in place.  When my "77 Camaro was newer, I discovered how much those clips worked, as when I lowered the window at highway speeds, getting it rolled back up worked, until that last 2" of travel, when it would not make it's "final seat".  Had to slow down to let the "effect" decrease to not pull the window out so it would go all of the way up, like it should.  In some cases, putting the hvac on "outside air" helped to equalize the pressure differential.

NTX5467

Great explanations guys. As far as being designed for the window pulling out, the clip and only clip is on the inside so it has no affect there. Rolling the window up and the clip being a guide is the key. Even then, it would only apply when the rear window is down, and the front being rolled up... I see that being an issue. The vertical rear quarter window molding (which is new), when the rear window is up, serves to guide the window up. Trust me, I did not want to remove it, it belongs there, but there was no way to put on a roof seal with it in. And, with no manufacturers suggestion as to how to incorporate the seal with that clip in place. I took the car on the interstate and 75mph and noticed nothing unusual in rolling the window up. Great explanations of your parts!