SEARS MOTOR BUGGY

Hello, I just brought home my Sears and was woundering how you can tell the year of the buggy. The 1950 W.VA title says 1907 but there is a 1908 PA. plate on front. The sears plate is on the side of the tiller. It a model H and serial

number 3257. Are there any books on how to service or operate this.

. Any help would be apreciated Thanks Sean

Guest EMF-Owner

Congrats on the Sears. Thought I do not own one personally, my dad does, and I grew up around that car, took it to shows and enjoyed it tremendously.

I do not know if any books that contain the info that you are looking for. Several people have done research on the Sears. From what I remember off the top of my head, the Sears Company signed a contract with Alvin Krotz (sp?) in September of 1908 to start building the Sears Motor Buggy for Sears. So the First Sears automobiles were most likely 1909, or less likely late 1908. The serial number range started at 1000. Sears got out of the Automobile business in 1912-1913, thought the Sear Truck was continued into 1914 by the Lincoln Truck company (I think). Your serial number looks like it would fall into the 1912 range, but my data for this is at home. The serial number on the plate on the body should match a serial number stamped into one of the frame rail cross members under the front floor boards.

There was a reprint of a Sears auto cataloge done in the 1970's that you can proably pick up a copy of on eBay for around $10.00 if you are patient.

I hope to start a web page for the Sear Automobile sometime soon, but am still in the data collecting stage. I am also busy with the E-M-F Homepage. If you would like more detailed info, contact me via email (Available on the E-M-F Homepage) and I would be happy to help if I can. All of my data is at home.

My guess is that yours is probably a 1911. My husband and I own a 1911 Sears Model H #3296.

Our Sears

I have several articles and books written about the Sears. I do own a copy of the "Instruction Book for Sears Motor Cars", which came with the car. It was reprinted a few years ago by Ray Lindsey. It is only 21 pages but covers -

-uncrating and setting up your car

-how to prepare the car for running

-the car is now ready for the gasoliine. how to proceed

-how to start the engine

-how to start the car running

-how to back the car

-rules for starting

-7 rules for starting the motor

-learn to operate the car where there is plenty of room

-advice

-explanation of 2-cycle and 4-cycle motors

-instructions on moving the motor from the car

-when the knock is due to a flat spot on the friction wheel

-wrong adjustment of friction wheel and friction plate

-when brake bearings are dry

-badly worn tires

- and much more

Most include illustrations. This is just the highlights. There are several pages on trouble shooting. Please email me if you would like a copy of the book.

Please refer to a previous thread -

1905 Sears Auto Buggy research In in, I listed some historical data about the car.

Hope this helps. I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank's both of you for your information. 24T42 I would very interested in a copy of the "Instruction Book for Sears Motor Cars", which came with the car. My serial plate is located on the side of the car beside the tiller and my hand shift lever is bowed or bet forward is this a sign of a early buggy. 24T42 your SEARS looks great. My_Garage_Is_Too_Small thanks for your info. The web page is a great idea hope to here fom other Sear owners. Thanks

I don't know if too many people know about this but my 1965 Buick Skylark is a Sears Fleet Vehicle. Turns out if you worked for Sears you could purchase a vehicle wholesale through a participating dealer. I got this car from my grandparents who bought it new. I have the original wholesale form and the signed recieving report from Sears Roebuck and Co. Funny part was neither of my grandparents worked for Sears my grandfathers sister did. Just some more Sears trivia for you.

• 9 years later...
Guest Gary Hearn

I trust that everyone knows this is a 9 year old thread that was dredged up. I suspect you will have better luck contacting a literature seller for the item rather than hoping for a response on this thread.