Vacuum Hoses

CTX-SLPR

Howdy y'all,

I'll update the floor pan repair thread tomorrow when I can get pictures during daylight hours but it's pretty much done and now it's time to start putting things back together.  I want to refresh my vacuum hoses as they are all too short, brittle, or elsewise not in nice shape anymore.  Does anyone have a preferred source for hoses or do y'all just hit Autozone/Oriellys and get it there?  I'm considering striping them to match the colors in the manual but tagging the ends with tape is holding up fine so that's a nice to have vs. I'll for sure be doing it.

Thanks

I live in the desert, and prefer silicone hoses because they last many times longer than rubber. I had serious problems with rubber vacuum hoses hardening and leaking after just a couple of months. Switched to silicone, and never had to trim or replace but one. I'm replacing all the heater/ac control hoses too, but I understand that they need to be thinner wall than normal, otherwise it's an extremely tight fit in some places.

Yes, the silicon hoses really hold up, and look great.

Or you can look around for conventional rubber hoses with the colored stripe already on them.  Look on Amazon, etc.  They look like originals.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, CTX-SLPR said:

Howdy y'all,

I'll update the floor pan repair thread tomorrow when I can get pictures during daylight hours but it's pretty much done and now it's time to start putting things back together.  I want to refresh my vacuum hoses as they are all too short, brittle, or elsewise not in nice shape anymore.  Does anyone have a preferred source for hoses or do y'all just hit Autozone/Oriellys and get it there?  I'm considering striping them to match the colors in the manual but tagging the ends with tape is holding up fine so that's a nice to have vs. I'll for sure be doing it.

Thanks

I bought all of my vacuum hoses at Advance Auto. I took some samples of the old hoses with me so the tech could match them up. Good luck!

8 hours ago, Jim Cannon said:

Yes, the silicon hoses really hold up, and look great.

Or you can look around for conventional rubber hoses with the colored stripe already on them.  Look on Amazon, etc.  They look like originals.

If I ever have to replace the colored striped hoses for my HVAC system, I will go this route (repro color striped hoses).

23 hours ago, NC68Riviera said:

If I ever have to replace the colored striped hoses for my HVAC system, I will go this route (repro color striped hoses).

Old Air has the vacuum hoses with the correct color code that match the repair manual. I attached a copy I made from the 63 Repair manual. I colored the hoses in the routing by the manual.

52D91593-3845-4651-B775-1514F107EF95.jpeg

7EB4DBE2-C80D-4F71-BA0D-7E9C35C6DC4C.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mike, i did the color code match to help keep the routing straight. Modifications on the vacuum controls were necessary because parts not available. So, you know with mods sometimes you have to do it over and over until the correct solution is found.

Turbinator

• Like 1

What would be helpful to know is how much of each color you need.  At ~$3/foot on eBay, you'd hate to overbuy or underbuy.

You can measure each piece in place (which is especially nice for the ones that go through the firewall) by disconnecting both ends, running a piece of mechanics wire or a guitar string through the hose, then marking it when it comes out the other end.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2019 at 8:04 AM, telriv said:

jsgun,

Where did you source the silicone hoses from???

Tom T.

I got my regular sized hoses on amazon, bought an assortment of sizes. I haven't found a source for the thin wall heater control hoses yet.

All the silicone stuff I've found is too thick to go through the firewall block. I've thought about having a custom block 3D printed in carbon fiber reinforced ABS and pressing in stainless steel pipes and using the thicker silicone stuff on both sides.  We'll see if I do that or try out O'rielly Gates 1/8in ID, 7/64in OD rubber hose.  Either way I'm going to see if I can't rig a fixture up with a paint pen to stripe them.  Worst case I'll just spot them like above.

Edited by CTX-SLPR (see edit history)

Looks like HPS has 3mm silicone hose with a 1.5mm wall thickness (HTSVH3TW-BLK5), i'm going to measure and see if that would work for the heater control hoses. Maybe some type of vinyl tape to mark them. Although those marked rubber hoses might be good, because it's not near high heat.

On 5/3/2019 at 6:56 AM, Turbinator said:

Old Air has the vacuum hoses with the correct color code that match the repair manual. I attached a copy I made from the 63 Repair manual. I colored the hoses in the routing by the manual.

52D91593-3845-4651-B775-1514F107EF95.jpeg

7EB4DBE2-C80D-4F71-BA0D-7E9C35C6DC4C.jpeg

I contacted Old Air about their set 23-0905. It contains 7 hoses 63 1/2 " long, 2-black, 1-red, 1-orange, 1-white, 1-purple, 1 green and 1-50 inch "thick black hose" (whatever that means} This is the set Bob used and he said it works. The Turbinator's word is good enough for me.

Bill

Bill- thanks for your very fine attention to detail. There are some substitutions. My water control valve ( some call it the hot water valve for the heater) was replaced with a vacuum control water valve. Jim Cannon figured this mod out. The vacuum hose from the vacuum control T’s into the black hose that terminated in the middle port of the #1 vacuum actuators up by the STV. There are mods for the vacuum modulator and the # 4 vacuum actuator that can be answered ad hoc.

Again, thank you for your very fine input to the forum to help others.

Turbinator

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/4/2019 at 10:27 PM, CTX-SLPR said:

All the silicone stuff I've found is too thick to go through the firewall block. I've thought about having a custom block 3D printed in carbon fiber reinforced ABS and pressing in stainless steel pipes and using the thicker silicone stuff on both sides.  We'll see if I do that or try out O'rielly Gates 1/8in ID, 7/64in OD rubber hose.  Either way I'm going to see if I can't rig a fixture up with a paint pen to stripe them.  Worst case I'll just spot them like above.

Sir, another thought would be to use colored adhesive tape just to mark your hoses temporarily or leave the tape on. The paint pens just did not give the visual you would want to keep.

Turbinator

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2019 at 1:11 AM, KongaMan said:

What would be helpful to know is how much of each color you need.  At ~$3/foot on eBay, you'd hate to overbuy or underbuy.

You can measure each piece in place (which is especially nice for the ones that go through the firewall) by disconnecting both ends, running a piece of mechanics wire or a guitar string through the hose, then marking it when it comes out the other end.

How many feet do you think the vacuum lines run? In the case the vacuum lines run over 12 feet the colored vacuum lines from Old Air has a chance at being competitive. Then you calculate your highly valuable time and add that in with the measuring and the disconnecting of the vacuum lines. Depression Era thinking has saved me money many times. Sometimes and I mean sometimes you have to part with your money to get the needed goods. Calculating the non pecuniary benefit of having the color codes vacuum lines may be difficult for some. At first I was lost even with the color coded vacuum lines. Having done the vacuum lines so many times I can route them with my eyes closed.

Turbinator

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 2:56 PM, oneriviera64 said:

I bought this one: https://www.oldairproducts.com/product/23-0905-vacuum-hose-universal-fit-kit-8-hoses

they seem really nice, havent had time to put them on though...

Did you ever get these vacuum hoses installed? I am interested in a quick review of the kit if it's not too much trouble.