Sign in to follow this  
abandg

Need help identifying antenna

This a manual antenna with no numbers on it. I have owned this for about 20 years and just found it again. I am pretty sure it is Buick but do not know the year. It looks new. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks Gene. 

IMG_5845.jpg

IMG_5840.jpg

IMG_5843.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I don't see any manual antenna.......but from the length and top mount it would be around a '68 - '70's  model.    The '63-65 Riviers had a very short body....about 7"

The picture with all the mast gives you an idea of all the different lengths they used.....the bottom one is a 63-65 Riviera

The picture of the top mount is like yours and it was used for several years on Buicks...it clamped on the bottom of the chrome fender trim.

I could probably make it into a power antenna if you are interested.

TENNA LENGTHS.jpg

004x.jpg

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Barney just might know something about antennas … :)

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Barney Eaton said:

I don't see any manual antenna.......but from the length and top mount it would be around a '68 - '70's  model.    The '63-65 Riviers had a very short body....about 7"

The picture with all the mast gives you an idea of all the different lengths they used.....the bottom one is a 63-65 Riviera

The picture of the top mount is like yours and it was used for several years on Buicks...it clamped on the bottom of the chrome fender trim.

I could probably make it into a power antenna if you are interested.

Not to hijack this post, but is there a way to modify a 64 Riv antenna to fully retract into the fender? Or is there a preferred donor to get an antenna from that does?

The larger, lower mast section of the power, or manual antenna determines how much it will protrude out from the fender.

Buy shortening this tube, I think you can reduce the amount of antenna that protrudes above fender ? 

Only one way to find out ! LOL :unsure: 

Posted (edited)

Someone ask if the 63-65 antenna ('66-69 also stick out of the fender but not as much as the early Riviera) could be modified.

I think they could but that come with more questions.

Since I have no access to an early Riviera,  I think the problem starts inside the fender....there is limited space.

By using the chrome mast part from later Buicks (or other GM cars) the amount sticking out of the fender could be reduced,  but only by 2-3 inches.

Another option would be to use a different antenna........GM used antenna made by TENNA in Cleveland OH from about 1961 to the late '70's then Delco started making power antenna.

Delco's first shot around 1979 was a mess,  it had a clutch with no adjustment so it might slip going up or down and it was unreliable.

About the same time Pontiac Firebird started using the new Slimline design...by 1981 they had that design settled and works really well..........if there is enough room in the early Riviera

fender the Slimline could be a candidate to give you a power antenna that would retract to flush with the chrome fender trim.

A fairly simple plastic top adaptor could be made and the Slimline antenna are still plentiful.    They automatically stop when going up and down.  The wiring would not be a problem.

I would be glad to work with anyone interested in such a modification.

Slimeline design shown in picture.

Second picture shows the variety of chrome mast lengths.....

88-90.jpg

tenna mast.jpg

• Like 1

Barney,

What would you need to get started?

Posted (edited)

What I would need......Someone with a 63-65 that would see if a late model Slimline will fit inside the fender.

Attached is my first pass at an adaptor.    On the right is the way the Buick attached the antenna at the top.

The factory "adaptor" clamps to the chrome fender trim and bolts to the top of the antenna assembly.

My thought would be a plastic part that would do the same.....the original chrome fender trim would fit inside it and be clamped,

the later design antenna would fit into the bottom of the adaptor and be attached with a set screw or screws or maybe another hose clamp.

At the bottom some sort of bracket would need to be fabricated to  hold everything in place.

I have lots of the late antenna but it would cost $15-20 to ship one, you can get them at Pick n pulls for $10-15 so you can pick up one locally.

What I need is one of the chrome fender trim/mounts to get dimensions from.....it could be a badly pitted part...just need it for fit.

ADAPTOR.jpg

• Like 1

Let me look through some stuff and see what I can come up with.

Does anyone know what antenna this is. Thanks

• Like 1

Sorry for straying off...........told you what it was not.

Barney,

Would it be of any use to you IF I sent you a complete electric antenna assembly with ALL the attaching parts & braces to help you along to help others in their endeavors to modernize the '63-'65 Riv antennas to fully retract??? 

I could ALSO send you a COMPLETE manual antenna with ALL the nec. parts to see if you can come up with something for the manual antennas cars???

I'll have to check to see what I MAY have.

Tom T.

Don't need a complete antenna.......I have enough parts to dummy up a unit for size.........just need that top chrome fender part (see photo - part with yellow tape) for fit and dimensions to make the adaptor.

Looked on Ebay last night and the material of choice would be black Delrin, needs to be .850 outside diameter so would need to buy 1 inch stock and it looks like they want between 75cents to over a dollar an inch for it.

Not a big issue unless I make a lot of scrap adaptors.........anyone have a source for black Delrin....1 inch in diameter?

63-65 top.jpg

For anyone interested in this possible conversion........attached are pictures comparing the TENNA and Slimline.

The Slimeline is less than 2 inches thick at the bottom and that may allow it more room at the bottom of the fender.

Another useless fact......Buick used two different motor ends that probably allow them options for room for the motor.

In the attached photo.... the mast is attached to the right side of the motor.....they have another end casting that attaches the

mast on the left side.    As I work on antenna,  I try to document what year has which motor end.

comparison1.jpg

comparison2.jpg

• Like 2

Here are some pictures of a 63 - 65 Riviera antenna with fender bracket(s.) I have one rectangular one and one oval one. 

The shaft coming off the motor is a slip fit into the fender bracket.  You get it as snug as possible before assembly. Theres no way to get a scewdriver/wrench up inside tge accees panel in the inner fender let alone your hand.

The one part that I couldn't find was the insulator. But if I know the dimensions, I can have my stepson make one for me on his 3D printer.

This is the slip fit

20190502_131007.thumb.jpg.e472b8227198454ee4ad1c851adf2b61.jpg

Here are a couple of pictures of the bracket that mounts the antenna to the access panel. It also is the ground for the motor.20190502_131459.thumb.jpg.fce98f043efe4f3213127432adeb2ebc.jpg

20190502_131539.thumb.jpg.6e335709808ea7fa0faa50327ddb4f47.jpg

20190502_131646.thumb.jpg.d3feb47522654df979364b28cbc57cac.jpg

Posted (edited)

I was limited on the first set of pictures, and i can't post more until ???? I have other pictures that show the length of the mast and the two different kinds of bezels.  If anyone can tell me how/what I need to do to post the rest of the pictures, let me know.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Ed attached is a sketch with the insulator dimensions......... I have thought about the 3D printer solution but don't know how good the material is....it need to have UV protection.

Also thought about molding them in polyurethane.........I did some Reatta visor clips and that worked fairly well but there is some involvement in making the mold etc.

Riv insulator.jpg

I'll try again

20190502_131717.thumb.jpg.faea6e6e78ccfb890f8dbcee9d55d098.jpg

Back side of the rectangular bezel

20190502_131311.thumb.jpg.491d29f29e75db1c57574289ad6a940d.jpg

Back side of the oval bezel.

20190502_132126.thumb.jpg.61b723c0da415b83363b8c7498565088.jpg

I'll ask about the UV qualities of the 3D printer material.  I think that the drawing you posted can be used to program the printer.  Steve is pretty busy when/if he's in town so this may take a while.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, RivNut said:

I was limited on the first set of pictures, and i can't post more until ???? I have other pictures that show the length of the mast and the two different kinds of bezels.  If anyone can tell me how/what I need to do to post the rest of the pictures, let me know.

Ed,

In order to be able to post more pictures you will need to resize them. Once you do that you can post many more than you would normally with the small picture limit we have. Resize them before you go to choose them for the thread. Go to your pictures and select the picture(s) you want and select it(them). See pic 1. Once the picture is selected right click and choose edit. See pic 2. This will take you to the edit screen where you will choose resize. This will take you to the resize window. I choose pixels and set it for 1500. No reason to choose this number. I just took a stab and it has worked for me. Once you do that click OK and save. If you need to you can always go back and change it to the original setting. I'm sure that there are other ways to do this and I'm not saying this is the easiest. It is a way that works for me. This will change pictures from 2, 3, 4 or more Mb and give you pictures with only 1Mb or less of space. This way you can post many more than you could if you left them alone. For the four pictures on this post they were 5.82, 6.45, 5.04 and 5.74 Mb each. If I had left them as is I would have had to put 4 separate posts to get them in. I resized them and they were 913, 890, 680, and 808 Kb, so I could post all four. Hope this helps.

Bill

IMG_5372.JPG

IMG_5373.JPG

IMG_5374.JPG

IMG_5375.JPG

Edited by Riviera63
revise text (see edit history)

Does anyone know what this antenna fits or what car it belongs to. Gene.

• Haha 1

Seems your original thread got way off track Gene,   my apologies for getting off topic !

Does anybody here have a clue, or identity for Gene's manual antenna mast ?

Randy, no problem. I found it funny how a topic can go off course. It's like passing a secret down the line. At the end  the message is way off course. Thanks Gene.

While considering what it would take to make an adaptor to fit a late Delco to the early Riviera fender trim .........I went on Ebay looking for some black plastic material to use.

At the same time I was hoping to get one of the fender trim parts to measure and play with the concept.

(1) I found some black Delrin in the size that would probably work so I purchased some.

(2) No 63-65 fender trim has surfaced ..........so while waiting

(3) I machined some of the Delrin to reproduce the original factory insulator on the "63 -"65 (think a shorter version works on '66 and up)

Here is a picture comparison of one of the presentable parts......I made it a little longer than stock....the bottom end can be trimmed.....also I don't think the part need the ring in the center,  that was probably an assembly guide

and because the stock I purchased is only 5/8 dia  my ring is not as large in diameter as the stock part.   Many of the antenna I rebuild have originals in very poor condition.    If there is any market for these I need to buy some

more Delrin.    When Clark's was selling the part their price was $26 (plus shipping)    Once I get organized I could sell them for $25 including shipping.

5-17-19.jpg

• Like 1

I've given the specs posted earlier to my stepson, Steven. When he gets back into town, he's going to prints some on his 3D printer.  Right now he doesn't have any black UV quality printer material but he's going to print one for size before buying any UV black.

At the Buick National meet in OK City........I picked up a '63-65 Riviera chrome fender trim for the antenna.

Using a Slimline Delco from a 96 Cadillac.....about 3/8 inch was removed from the top outer part of the mast.

This shortens the overall height and extends the inner sleeve .....giving the moving part of the antenna more bearing surface near the top.

I notched the outer tube so the original chrome trim would be located and would not turn...... not sure this is necessary as the

hose clamp holds it quite nicely....     What I have not done yet is make a black plastic insulator ....... I had several antenna waiting on me when

we returned from OK City........also we had a minor accident while in OK City and needed to get the Enclave in for repairs. 

Attached are a couple of photos of the progress

adaptorII.jpg

adaptor III.jpg

• Like 1