nick8086

How do you pick a car show to go to?

Recommended Posts

"I'm not really cheap but I stayed home from a pay car show and came up with a powerful idea.

pennypinch.jpg.5484c63a27c91b02e6dee55da2eb1fe5.jpg

001.thumb.JPG.02303491af457132170a167df8cb8629.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So a friend of mine about an hour from here lives in a small 'Mayberry' ish town.

His car club threw a main street show yesterday.

It cost $15. He tells me that his club puts all of the money back into the Sr Center, Kids club, 4H, etc.

I bought an arms length (wing span) of raffle tickets for twenty bucks.

I won a $500 teeth bleaching service and a brand new Stihl chain saw.

No trophies but not a bad day.

Lets see, 30 bucks for gas, 15 entry, 20 for raffle tix, 8 for a pulled pork sandwich and a buck for a water.  = $74.00

My other option would have been yard work.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is like asking ten different people what they want on their pizza!  The real question is "why do you go to car shows."  This past weekend we went to a British (actually has been expanded to "European") car show in Williamsburg Va.  We took two MGs, the 1948 TC and our much later MGBGT.  We went to have fun, visit with friends and see some interesting cars and get ours our on the road.  Accomplished all these and even got some sunburn in the process.  Nice trip there and back with friends in their cars with ferry rides across the James River.  Spent time with the cars talking with people about them, and had a wonderful time talking with the family of a 14 year old girl who was there because that's what she wanted to do for her birthday - go to a car show!   She now knows a lot about AACA and will probably be at our fall show to get a ride in my Model T Ford.

Although we do a lot of AACA events we also squeeze in events like these that match up with our cars.  Every so often we'll venture out to a local event of some kind (usually charity related) and bring a vehicle we think most people would really like to see.  Our Model T is popular as it's usually the oldest thing there, and giving rides or at least showing people how to crank start is is a hoot.   The MGTC always attracts attention, and the Triumph Motorcycle is also a big attraction.  It's all about having fun-for us and spectators.

Terry

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not many Kaiser Darrins in Ho Chi Minh City.

Photo of Pho Vietnam - Santa Rosa, CA, United States. #8 Combination Beef Noodle Soup (steak, flank, brisket, tripe and meatballs)

 

Plenty of this though, I bet.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Wow that looks good..

 

Not sure  - if any one knows it takes two to three weeks to get a car ready for a car show...

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, JACK M said:

I won a $500 teeth bleaching service and a brand new Stihl chain saw.

 

I can see that being the basis for a whole new reality series.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like a good size swap meet.  While not a big fan of imported tools, zip ties or bootleg cds, running into the unusual can be fun.  This guy was at Rhinebeck this past weekend.  Unfortunately a lot of great parts were not...

20190504_104655.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I say car shows are for wimps. Real Men and Women drive their cars on Tours!  Two Weeks ago we drove my 1967 Camaro RS Convt on an AACA Ohio Region Tour where we visited John Glenns Boyhood Home along with the Zanes Trace Museum. Visited a winery above Cambridge that had a very nice view. 100 plus miles on back roads of the tour plus a 400 mile round trip commute. Stayed at Salt Fork State Park lodge with the group that was fun. This past weekend we did a local AACA Southern Ohio Chapter tour and lunch to Brookville, Ohio to a Packard Restoration Shop on  a farm where we had burgers from one of the owners herd.  My wife loves going on tours but has no interest in shows sitting in a lawn chair waiting all day for a trophy. We also have driven my 1911 Ford on the last three Ohio Model T Jamborees and hope to do the Hershey Hangover this year in my 1912 McLaughlin Buick. Tours( Moving car shows) are much more fun and take some real talent with especially early cars to use as originally intended as opposed to taking a trailer queen to a show that barely runs enough to get to the field. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tomcarnut said:

I say car shows are for wimps. Real Men and Women drive their cars on Tours!  Two Weeks ago we drove my 1967 Camaro RS Convt on an AACA Ohio Region Tour where we visited John Glenns Boyhood Home along with the Zanes Trace Museum. Visited a winery above Cambridge that had a very nice view. 100 plus miles on back roads of the tour plus a 400 mile round trip commute. Stayed at Salt Fork State Park lodge with the group that was fun. This past weekend we did a local AACA Southern Ohio Chapter tour and lunch to Brookville, Ohio to a Packard Restoration Shop on  a farm where we had burgers from one of the owners herd.  My wife loves going on tours but has no interest in shows sitting in a lawn chair waiting all day for a trophy. We also have driven my 1911 Ford on the last three Ohio Model T Jamborees and hope to do the Hershey Hangover this year in my 1912 McLaughlin Buick. Tours( Moving car shows) are much more fun and take some real talent with especially early cars to use as originally intended as opposed to taking a trailer queen to a show that barely runs enough to get to the field. 

 

Sounds fun, I don't see any tours out here.

So I do mine alone.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2019 at 1:06 PM, edinmass said:

 

 

I’m a dinosaur........I don’t think of any post war car as a hobby car. Anything post 1960 to me is simply a modern car. I’m getting old!

 

Gosh Ed you don't enjoy the Muscle car era 409's etc.?😎

Robert

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Robert Street said:

 

Gosh Ed you don't enjoy the Muscle car era 409's etc.?😎

Robert

 

 

Robert......I like early cars.....I have owned a bunch of 50’s and 60’s cars when in high school and college. I grew up in steam, and then brass and nickel, when I saw my first CCCA big land yacht I was hooked. I enjoy any unusual car, but by the 60’s they were making them by the 100’s of thousands.......I like to drive stuff no one else has.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

 

I wonder if there were Muscle Cars in Western Connecticut when they were new? I never noticed them when they were new, too busy with my Model T and 1930's dirt track race cars. 

 

Bob

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, tomcarnut said:

I say car shows are for wimps. Real Men and Women drive their cars on Tours!  Two Weeks ago we drove my 1967 Camaro RS Convt on an AACA Ohio Region Tour where we visited John Glenns Boyhood Home along with the Zanes Trace Museum. Visited a winery above Cambridge that had a very nice view. 100 plus miles on back roads of the tour plus a 400 mile round trip commute. Stayed at Salt Fork State Park lodge with the group that was fun. This past weekend we did a local AACA Southern Ohio Chapter tour and lunch to Brookville, Ohio to a Packard Restoration Shop on  a farm where we had burgers from one of the owners herd.  My wife loves going on tours but has no interest in shows sitting in a lawn chair waiting all day for a trophy. We also have driven my 1911 Ford on the last three Ohio Model T Jamborees and hope to do the Hershey Hangover this year in my 1912 McLaughlin Buick. Tours( Moving car shows) are much more fun and take some real talent with especially early cars to use as originally intended as opposed to taking a trailer queen to a show that barely runs enough to get to the field. 

 Car shows and cruises are all we have (and we have plenty- at least three a week from spring to fall and at least two a week in winter and that doesn't count the car shows) so we are all wimps? Say that around here and you'd get a fat lip. Tours????? What tour???? In fact what AACA chapter????? The nearest chapter is over 100 miles away and you never hear of anything they do so I assume they do nothing. 

Please don't ask me to start up a chapter, I been there and done that and the local 250+ member Antique Automobile club do not want to be involved. Just saying we like cars and have shows and cruises but  don't have tours and we are not wimps.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a few simple rules to determine which shows, not cruises,  to go to:  (my cruise choice depends on what I want to eat that nite)

    no drive longer than an hour--hour to...hour fro and 6+ hours in the field, makes for a long day for a retired old guy

    no big paved parking lots--too hot in the sun

    prefer small town with shade available, local park, or golf course venue...small towns often have local hot spots for food and drink rather than eating out of a cooler

    usually don't go to the same show  2 years in a row, especially if I won a trophy..exception once when I took Best in Show and they put my car on the poster for the next year--had to          show up!

    I try to go to as many different shows as possible--having a rare eye catching car, KAISER DARRIN, I like to introduce the car and KAISER FRAZER to as many new people as                   possible--plight of the Independents..not enough exposure to the public

    much unlike Nick8086, my prep for a show is 20 minutes--check tire pressure, oil, gas and get the bugs off of the front end and windshield from the run the nite before

    my car is not a trailer queen--I drive it--even to the MEADOWBROOK CONCOURS d'ELEGANCE...drove it there, got my blue ribbon, and drove it home!!

    ...I have run out of wall space...

 

plaques.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/5/2019 at 8:26 AM, JACK M said:

So a friend of mine about an hour from here lives in a small 'Mayberry' ish town.

His car club threw a main street show yesterday.

It cost $15. He tells me that his club puts all of the money back into the Sr Center, Kids club, 4H, etc.

I bought an arms length (wing span) of raffle tickets for twenty bucks.

I won a $500 teeth bleaching service and a brand new Stihl chain saw.

No trophies but not a bad day.

Lets see, 30 bucks for gas, 15 entry, 20 for raffle tix, 8 for a pulled pork sandwich and a buck for a water.  = $74.00

My other option would have been yard work.

Congrats. Which car did you take?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you very much !!!!

JackMild_to_Wild.jpg

20140906_162624.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most photographed tail lights in the whole north west.

28 Dodge project 001.jpg

28 Dodge project 002.jpg

28 Dodge project 003.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Easy question on what show to attend. Just pick one that is not on the same date as a touring event.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got it up and running..

 

Do not drop bye until I know what I am doing..

 

 

IMG_3446[14640].JPG

IMG_3447[14642].JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, nick8086 said:

I got it up and running..

 

Do not drop bye until I know what I am doing..

 

 

IMG_3446[14640].JPG

IMG_3447[14642].JPG

 

I have been wanting one of those forever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/16/2019 at 11:43 AM, JACK M said:

 

I have been wanting one of those forever.

I think I got it..

 

 only used it four times..  This pulled pork was 12 hours..

IMG_3763[15389].JPG

IMG_3752[15383].JPG

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...