nick8086

How do you pick a car show to go to?

Posted (edited)
On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 9:08 PM, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Bob are you setting up at Rhinebeck?

AJ has it right, it is more about friends it seems every year....  🙂

No, The New York Tax People killed all the swap meets for me as a vendor back in the late 1970's. If I can fill a milk crate with things I want it is a good swap meet, I have great memories of swap meets finds that sort of ended around 1975. Bob 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

I have notice that some cars show are hooking up with the barbecue events..

That is what I did today.. was putting  the grill together. They sold for 1K - I paid 600 for it.. and they gave me 100 worth of stuff for free... 

IMG_3376[14485].JPG

IMG_3382[14489].JPG

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, nick8086 said:

I have notice that some cars show are hooking up with the barbecue events..

That is what I did today.. was putting  the grill together. They sold for 1K - I paid 600 for it.. and they gave me 100 worth of stuff for free... 

IMG_3376[14485].JPG

IMG_3382[14489].JPG

Just make sure the barbecue's are WELL AWAY from the show field! You would not believe all the smoke with grease those burgers can put on cars all dressed up for a show. A fine greasy film everywhere.

Posted (edited)

Nice score on the Traeger.

They are one of the best pellet smokers out there.

I picked up a Masterbuilt electric smoker a few months ago and I wonder how I ever lived without one for all these years.

Edited by zepher (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

It was nice that they have a new model..  I got the discontinued model..

I have a MHP Grill right now.. I know it was over 900.00 -  I owned it  for over  27 years..

IMG_0009.JPG

IMG_0467.JPG

IMG_0476.JPG

IMG_1105.JPG

Posted (edited)

You may have notice the Battery on the charger.. I going to start up the 49 kaiser this week.. 

Wish me luck.. I know I need to take a screw driver to tap the carburetor.  If the needle sticks...

49b.jpg

Because I live on Long Island it seems like it's getting harder and harder to get onto the mainland. The Cross Bronx Expressway or the Belt Parkway are the two direct routes, but it seems like the traffic gets worse every year. Combine the traffic, driving an antique car and having everyone ether honk their horn or try to drive with one hand and take a picture of my car makes it a "white knuckle drive". Most of the car shows I now attend are in New England. Now I leisurely drive out to the North Fork of the Island and take the ferry from Orient Point to New London and jump right on Route 95. Eliminates all that NYC nonsense. 

• Like 1

On 4/30/2019 at 11:32 PM, nick8086 said:

How do you pick a car show to go to?

I assume you are talking about one where you bring a car?   I try for 3 of the bigger shows a year and one local.   The local is the only one I bring a car to and usually it is one of my dad's, not mine.

My cars are for driving, not (usually) for showing.  Other than Hershey, I don't enter shows I have to pay for.  I'll be happy to let you look at my car for free, but I'll be damned if I'll pay to have you come and look at it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, oldcarfudd said:

My cars are for driving, not (usually) for showing.  Other than Hershey, I don't enter shows I have to pay for.  I'll be happy to let you look at my car for free, but I'll be damned if I'll pay to have you come and look at it.

I agree with you to a point. Many of the local car shows (at least around here) are put on by local service clubs to raise funds for their charities. I support their efforts wholeheartedly. As for attending an antiques only event, I'd have to trailer one of the old girls to the Old Car Festival at Dearborn,MI. Everything near here is dominated by postwar and rods. Occasionally I will take one of the older cars to one of these shows.Last year the '25 Buick coupe won the "Fan Favorite" award at one .

• Like 2

9 hours ago, nick8086 said:

It was nice that they have a new model..  I got the discontinued model..

I have a MHP Grill right now.. I know it was over 900.00 -  I owned it  for over  27 years..

IMG_0009.JPG

IMG_0467.JPG

IMG_0476.JPG

IMG_1105.JPG

See your pictures first thing in the morning and now I want to go hunt down some BBQ for lunch today.  :)

I wasn't going to smoke anything this weekend because I will be busy but I just may have to grab some baby backs and stay home for the day.

If the charity is charging the public to come and see the cars, so that my car's presence might draw more people and more money for the charity, then I'll take a car to help the charity.  But if the public gets in free, and I have to pay to enter my car, no way.  If it's a charity I choose to support, I'll donate the entry fee and then enjoy my day doing something else.  I have five pre-World-War-1 cars (one will be for sale soon), and I get no thrill out of spending a day surrounded by hot rods.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, oldcarfudd said:

If the charity is charging the public to come and see the cars, so that my car's presence might draw more people and more money for the charity, then I'll take a car to help the charity.  But if the public gets in free, and I have to pay to enter my car, no way.  If it's a charity I choose to support, I'll donate the entry fee and then enjoy my day doing something else.  I have five pre-World-War-1 cars (one will be for sale soon), and I get no thrill out of spending a day surrounded by hot rods.

Again, I can agree to a point. Thing is, a lot of young people attend these shows. We silver hairs (or no hairs) should try to be ambassadors for the vintage car hobby. Offer to take a youngster aboard or,if possible, for a spin. There's a number of reasons the values on and interest in the old car hobby is slipping. One of those reasons shouldn't be US !

Giving rides and going to shows are related ways of engaging with the public, but not the same thing.  I give lots of rides.  In my steam car, I ask kids whether they know "The Little Engine That Could."  They all do.  I find a hill, start up it, and slow to a crawl.  CHOO - - CHOO - - choo - - choo - - CHOO - - CHOO - - choo - - choo - - I - - THINK - - i - - can - - I - - THINK - - i - - can.  When they're all hollering it in cadence with the engine, I feed it a bit more steam and away we go:  I THOUGHT i could I THOUGHT i could.  The kids love it.  Often, someone will ask me if it's OK to take a picture of his kid in front of my car.  I say no, it's not OK - put him behind the wheel!  A couple of our town's charitable groups raise money by running silent auctions.    I offer half a day of Model T instruction, and get several bids.  I've taught several neighbors, including kids with learners permits, how to drive a T.  And yes, I let them do it.  So if you want to chew somebody out for not sharing his cars with the public, pick on somebody else.

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, oldcarfudd said:

Giving rides and going to shows are related ways of engaging with the public, but not the same thing.  I give lots of rides.  In my steam car, I ask kids whether they know "The Little Engine That Could."  They all do.  I find a hill, start up it, and slow to a crawl.  CHOO - - CHOO - - choo - - choo - - CHOO - - CHOO - - choo - - choo - - I - - THINK - - i - - can - - I - - THINK - - i - - can.  When they're all hollering it in cadence with the engine, I feed it a bit more steam and away we go:  I THOUGHT i could I THOUGHT i could.  The kids love it.  Often, someone will ask me if it's OK to take a picture of his kid in front of my car.  I say no, it's not OK - put him behind the wheel!  A couple of our town's charitable groups raise money by running silent auctions.    I offer half a day of Model T instruction, and get several bids.  I've taught several neighbors, including kids with learners permits, how to drive a T.  And yes, I let them do it.  So if you want to chew somebody out for not sharing his cars with the public, pick on somebody else.

A tip of the hat to you,sir ! I wasn't trying to pick on you in particular, but I have seen too many occasions where collector car owners have downright surly dispositions toward interested public. I don't appreciate a father encouraging his kid to use the fender as a slide (it happened), but I've grown to enjoy young'uns questions, even when they ask if I bought it new ! 

Edited by J.H.Boland (see edit history)

1 hour ago, oldcarfudd said:

Often, someone will ask me if it's OK to take a picture of his kid in front of my car.  I say no, it's not OK - put him behind the wheel!  

There was an AACA Show Locally at the beginning of April which I took my “new” Pierce to. I’ll admit I was surprised by a second Pierce showing up. We both had that kind of memory as a kid, getting to sit in cars at shows in the early 70’s, and we both did just this. My car was get in behind the wheel, his was a rumble seat the kids sat in. We had a great time, but other than wanting to get a feel for the car hobby where we just relocated to, I agree with not being a fan of paying to sit on a paved lot with 95%+ of the cars being much more modern than I’m into. That said I still give a lot of rides to people who are curious or intrigued by the old cars.

As for the charity auction, my parents did it for years, a full day T Tour to one of three different places and your choice of three different cars (when they were all running of course). They had one couple buy it three times and then they bought a T for themselves...

We all see this hobby differently and have different ways of being ambassadors.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J.H.Boland said:

I've grown to enjoy young'uns questions, even when they ask if I bought it new ! 

Quite often I get that question from the old uns who ought to know better than ask. Of course, I think it was about ten years ago that I started nudging my Wife and asking her if she thought that old couple who just walked by were older than us.

I went to a lot of shows when I was younger, but when my Son and Daughter got to be around 10 years old (and I was 45) I saw the long rides and sitting by the cars was not really where their interests lie. And I had a perception of competition between them and the cars in their minds. It happens. So I bought better cars and rationed my time with a bias toward driving in the country and the hills. Just my Wife and I now. We go for 2 hour rides around western New York and stop at the best little diners. My hours in the garage are golden. I'd be out there now if I hadn't eaten a big lunch.

Then there is the fact that all my cars are post war (WWII that is) and I know how taking up an old crank jobs space can be so agitating.

Picking a show to go to. Hmmm, maybe we will just park on Main Street, eat ice cream, and watch the cars go by.

018.thumb.JPG.7103dac5198645654874252652680342.JPG

We sure can agree on not letting kids slide down our fenders!  And I can erupt in a hurry if a parent encourages his kid to treat my car, or anybody's car, like an amusement park toy.  Fortunately, most people are decent.

• Like 2

My kids.

01010.jpg.497eeb6ec00834f8f4d97443866896a6.jpg

IMK on the license plate stands for "Ignore my kids". However they were trained. Grimy's friend even complemented Andy, on the left fender, on how gently he closed the big Pierce door.

Interesting picture, I didn't think I converted to PVC cross bars on the clothes poles that early; glued on end caps to keep the wasps from nesting.

Bernie

• Like 1

Bernie, you shoulda kept that Nash!  Shame on you!

19469.jpg.38847e910d075d4b30ea0454436d47d9.jpg

Advanced 6 Victoria, one of three known, two running.

That was the early 1980's. No headlights. Couldn't get lenses at first. At Hershey, Don Axelrod told me the lenses were being scooped up by the, then popular, Auburn Speedster replica guys. Nash and Auburn shared the same lenses.

Just a teaser:

002.thumb.jpg.b64e0af1b063d00555647ae72c17b748.jpg

Bernie, you may have to go to Florida to work -- or drool -- on Tony's 1936 P-A again--or does he still keep it in your neck of the woods?

Generally prefer JUDGING Verses Peoples Choice (Vote for your buddies). Also depends on Weather Forecasts, plus travel distance as I drive to all Shows and Meets using GPS set up to avoid traffic and Highways, Tolls, Dirt Roads, etc. Love to explore the back roads and generally like to curse at posted speeds between 45 to 50 MPH with no traffic. I will gladly do the posted speed limits when necessary.. I like to support the Benefit Shows where the entry fee's go to charities such as Wounded Veterans,  or other good causes.  Lastly, I like Car Club events where the Club has Class's specific to Model Type or year that my entry would fit in to. Not interested in Events for the Newer Cars, Rat Rods, Low Riders, etc. not that I have a problem with what they are doing,  just not my cup of tea. Some of the other events such as a CRUSE IN, where you can come and go as you please, are a lot of fun WITH NO STRESS. 

I might be cheap but I like the free ones unless it goes for a good cause, like the Boy Scouts.