countrytravler

Electric cars and Tesla (PLEASE leave politics out of this thread!)

The Citi-Car made in Florida had been the best selling US electric car.  Things have sure changed!

One car I think we can all agree on here is cool is this Detroit Electric from 1931.  https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/25593/lot/456/?category=list&length=10&page=39

This exceptional machine is the sole surviving example of Detroits ultimate iteration of the electric car. Unlike previous electrics which made their propulsion known in formal if a bit stuffy broughams, this example takes its styling cues more from Packard. It sports a faux radiator and louvered hood mimicking its gasoline powered competitor. The design of the Detroit sheds light on the unfashionability of electric cars in this era. Detroit's attempt to regain dwindling market share proved a failure and this is believed to be the only survivor.

Despite the long hood, the engine is mounted mid-ship and drive is by shaft to the rear axle. The interior features a cluster of electric gauges and an elegant speed control stock at the steering wheel.

It was acquired by Frank Spain from the famed Harrah's Auto Museum Collection during the 1986 dispersal sales. William Harrah's network of car sleuths turned up some of the greatest automobiles and it is no surprise he ended up with this historic electric. Surviving today in largely original condition it appears to be untouched for many decades. Curiously, the Detroit shows evidence of quite a few miles showing that this machine did a good bit of service.

This Detroit Electric is without question one of the rarest and most desirable early electric cars. With such strong interest in electrics today this is bound to be a star of any collection.

image.thumb.png.e6f5bd32c61f03463e58679183f2cb8a.png

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

What was the range after a couple of 12 second runs ? I have no doubt electric vehicles can be very fast. However it always comes at a substantial range cost. Battery's only store so much power. Especially 2003 battery's.

Greg

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

23 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

What was the range after a couple of 12 second runs ? I have no doubt electric vehicles can be very fast. However it always comes at a substantial range cost. Battery's only store so much power. Especially 2003 battery's.

Greg

You have to find the owner and ask him. 16 years ago. I just haul cars and ask about the cars. No knowledge in 2003 about how these things work.

I drove into town a little while ago.  Counted 13 Teslas on the way in.  In some parts of the country (including this one), they are definitely a thing.  Whether that’s virtue signaling, a status symbol, an honest attempt at environmental conscientiousness, gullibility, or because they were objectively evaluated to be the best car for the money is probably best left to another discussion.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, countrytravler said:

Load of Tesla going to Southern CA.

You’d think they would use an electric truck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How about hybrids like the Owen Magnetic and my all time favorite for cool bad design the "Arctic Snow Cruiser". 

image.thumb.png.b6b3da5e5cb75fe0d311eb4b48bc5613.png

• Like 1

Ford also tried again in 1998 with their 'Th!nk' city car.  It didn't pan out, and they sold it to Global/NEVS in 2003.

Now Ford is trying again by investing $500 into Rivian.

Craig

• Like 1

15 hours ago, KongaMan said:

You’d think they would use an electric truck.

Why would you say that? Our trucks are cross country. Electric truck car haulers would not work at this time in our industry at this time.

It still seems strange to me that for all the years that Tesla, and other electric cars have been around, that there are still people asking whether the car is a viable alternative to an internal combustion engine. I think that a more appropriate question would be, how long is is the internal combustion engine going to survive in Europe an Asia.

• Like 1

"290,000 electric vehicles will be sold in the U.S. in 2001." ~ BMW pic above

It actually took until 2018 for EV sales to hit that level; 2017 was 199K, 2018 was 361K.
It takes very little research to see the historic norm for marketplace changes- it always takes far longer than the fans believe for the tide to change.
Yet there are still folk that will tell you in all seriousness that EVs will be the majority of vehicles sold in "3-5 years", something we've seen claimed for the better part of a decade now.

Electric vehicle percentage of the U.S. market in 2018 was 2%.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

It still seems strange to me that for all the years that Tesla, and other electric cars have been around, that there are still people asking whether the car is a viable alternative to an internal combustion engine. I think that a more appropriate question would be, how long is is the internal combustion engine going to survive in Europe an Asia.

Probably more to the point are the questions a] is the electric car ; all factors considered , better for the environment. b} is the electric car cost competitive with conventional IC engine cars. c} is the electric car able to be a practical alternative operationally, range, cold performance, safety and no doubt other considerations I am unaware of. 

Some of these questions can be answered "probably" however others are at this time still quite unclear.

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 1912Staver said:

Probably more to the point are the questions a] is the electric car ; all factors considered , better for the environment. b} is the electric car cost competitive with conventional IC engine cars. c} is the electric car able to be a practical alternative operationally, range, cold performance, safety and no doubt other considerations I am unaware of. 

Some of these questions can be answered "probably" however others are at this time still quite unclear.

And some are an indisputable "no".

2 hours ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

The answer to that depends in large part as to whether change is the result of market forces or government mandates.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, countrytravler said:

Could this be the next form of hot rodding for all vintage/classic cars in the future? 

I started a conversion about 15 years on a 1984 Alfa GTV but abandoned it due to funds and time availability. 

You might find this interesting. Tesla batteries in an EV conversion.

• Like 3