1965 Riviera Air Cleaner Housing

psychostang

Greetings:  My 65 Riv came with a 401 cu. engine out of a 63 Buick LeSabre.  On top is a black air cleaner which I believe to be a 64 version.  Would anyone like to trade a 65 air cleaner assembly, for a 64?  Just putting this out there, before I start my hunt for the correct cleaner assembly.

It looks just like this, but the snout is on the other side of the radiator hose.

1964-buick-riviera-desert-beige-425-ci340-hp-vintage-ac-billet-specialties-6.jpg

Hi Andrew,

I`m specifically looking for one with no damage to the edge of the snorkel. Looks like maybe yours has been damaged? I may also have a  `65 air cleaners on hand to sell outright if yours is damaged...but I have sold several in the past year so I would need to check inventory.

Tom

9 hours ago, psychostang said:

Greetings:  My 65 Riv came with a 401 cu. engine out of a 63 Buick LeSabre.  On top is a black air cleaner which I believe to be a 64 version.  Would anyone like to trade a 65 air cleaner assembly, for a 64?  Just putting this out there, before I start my hunt for the correct cleaner assembly.

It looks just like this, but the snout is on the other side of the radiator hose.

1964-buick-riviera-desert-beige-425-ci340-hp-vintage-ac-billet-specialties-6.jpg

Air cleaner orientation is sometimes just not thought out.  There are alignment tabs on the air horn of the carb and on the base of the air cleaner that, when installed properly, will orient the snorkle in the proper location.

greetings Psycho!  FYI the '65 air cleaner is completely different from the earlier models. You are correct that the snorkel is on the other side of the hose, but the '65 air cleaner housing itself is smaller in diameter, slightly taller, & has a red aluminum sticker on top with the words "445 Wildcat".(the 445 refers to the torque the engine produces). If you Google '65 Riviera engine images you will find many pics on the subject. A proper air cleaner should be easy to find, although a problem may arise if the LeSabre carb & Riv air cleaner aren't comparable, but chances are that it will be a perfect fit. I always recommend Gene Guarnere of AB&G for used '65 parts. You will find his ad in the Review magazine. New stickers for the top & side can be acquired from a number of Riv parts distributors, like Clarks Corvair, OPG, Classic Buicks, but make sure you get the genuine aluminum sticker for the top( I believe one of the distributors offers one that is a vinyl decal) Good luck & let us know how it goes!     Drew

Not untypical for the 63/64 air cleaners to have the ends of the snorkles bent like in the picture you posted.  But with the right tools, they're much easier to straighten than the 65 Riviera air cleaner.  Look at the attached picture of a 1965 Riviera air cleaner and you can see what i mean.

1965BuickRiviera_03_700.jpg.e43ba41f83351c57af770b844cdf4ec1.jpg

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

Not untypical for the 63/64 air cleaners to have the ends of the snorkles bent like in the picture you posted.  But with the right tools, they're much easier to straighten than the 65 Riviera air cleaner.  Look at the attached picture of a 1965 Riviera air cleaner and you can see what i mean.

1965BuickRiviera_03_700.jpg.e43ba41f83351c57af770b844cdf4ec1.jpg

That is my former 1965!  Miss it!!

1 hour ago, Pat Curran said:

That is my former 1965!  Miss it!!

Nice job on the engine compartment.  I looked at a ton of pictures before choosing this one.  Hopefully others will use this as a model for making their engine look like it just left the factory.

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

Nice job on the engine compartment.  I looked at a ton of pictures before choosing this one.  Hopefully others will use this as a model for making their engine look like it just left the factory.

I saw some underhood pictures of it before it went through an auction  on the West Coast about a year and a half ago and I wanted to cry. Someone had taken a harsh cleaner or degreaser to it and all the finishes were ruined.  It went for less money than what I originally sold it for.

8 hours ago, psychostang said:

I think the edges are supposed to be bent outwards a little bit.  Mine is just a little wavy on top.  What do you think Tom?  Do you want to trade or no?  :)

Hi Andrew,

Sent you a PM, thanks,

Tom