Best tires for '63 Riv?

TampaRiv

On 5/20/2019 at 11:31 AM, RivNut said:

I've bought Hankook tires from Wally World for my last three drivers.  The best thing I can think of, besides price, is that there's a Wally World in every corner of almost every city.  Makes those warranties irreplaceable.  Currently on Large Marge but with the white sidewalls turned in.  

It appears that WalMart is having a memorial day sale and the tires shown above are priced at less than $60 each.  Mounting and balancing is probably different state to state but still.  

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hankook-Optimo-H724-All-Season-Tire-215-75R15-100S/17792286  This ad is for shipping but the tires are in store or can be withing a couple of days. 

One other thing that I like about buying tires are WalMart is that the weights they use are housed in plastic so you don't get that lead against chrome corrosion thing going on.

Sharp observations and investigative purchasing goes a long with good sense. Sometimes you get what you want because that is the way it is. One time I bought all new guitars. I finally woke up and bought good used instruments show their flaws fast and most of the time can be adjusted. Save about 50%. Over new. Initially, I wanted. 61-64 Chevy Impala decked out just so. Well, around here they were running at $30k. I did not want to spend that on a vintage car. One of my buddies said, “‘Bob you want a first generation Riviera.” My Buddy was tight.

15 minutes ago, TampaRiv said:

Guitars and Rivieras.  Bob, I'm right there with ya.  Throw in girls and beer and what more could you ask for!

15 minutes ago, TampaRiv said:

Guitars and Rivieras.  Bob, I'm right there with ya.  Throw in girls and beer and what more could you ask for!

Chicken wire if you are playing R&B in a Country Western place. A gent once asked, “ I can see you weren’t raised in “ the church” and by your physical appearance you probably were not in the  Pentecostal faith.”

I went on to say, this true, “ How come you sing all these Blues with so much conviction.? I said, “ I been married four times. The gent smiled and said, “ You qualify.”

On 5/20/2019 at 7:41 AM, telriv said:

I have used 225/70/15's on my '64 Riv. for years, BUT I have them on Keystone Kustom wheels which are 6" wide & bought them as they were the closet thing to a Rally wheel. I'm glad I did this years ago ('72) they rode SOOOOO much better, handled SOOOOO much better than ANY steel wheel because the un-sprung weight was GREATLY REDUCED.

Tom T.

Double T, what the world is unsprung weight?

Turbinator

3 hours ago, Turbinator said:

Double T, what the world is unsprung weight?

Turbinator

Everything past the end of the spring. So the whole rear axle, wheels, brakes, the front control arms, brakes, wheels. Racecars take it to the extreme... inboard brakes, magnesium wheels.

The lighter the unsprung weight, the more responsive the suspension is. That, and full articulation. I've always disagreed with manufacturer's desire for suspension that binds to increase the spring rate. When I rebuilt my ponycar's front suspension, I went to full bearings instead of bushings. It allowed full articulation of the control arms, and made for a much smoother, responsive ride. Noisy as all hell though.

You can tell that the Estate wagon wheels are Buick wheels but they are different.  The center sticks out farther so that's pretty obvious  The back spacing is greater so the wheel sits back farther on the axle.   They have no register ring.  Same wheel that was on the Riviera, except for width, starting in 1971

You can buy the springs to make any center cap fit any wheel.  http://buickcenters.com/index.html  Click on the word Riviera at the top of the page.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

7 hours ago, RivNut said:

You can tell that the Estate wagon wheels are Buick wheels but they are different.  The center sticks out farther so that's pretty obvious  The back spacing is greater so the wheel sits back farther on the axle.   They have no register ring.  Same wheel that was on the Riviera, except for width, starting in 1971

You can buy the springs to make any center cap fit any wheel.  http://buickcenters.com/index.html  Click on the word Riviera at the top of the page.

Thank you much Ed. Will the ralley wheels from a 1971 estate wagon fit on a 1965 rivi? I know i would need a spacer due to deeper offset . 

I can't really say from experience.  I have a set of the later (code 895) 6" rims with 225/75R15 tires on my 94 Roadmaster wagon.  I've been looking for the 7" rims but have yet to find any.  If they're out there, they're scarce.  I really don't know if you'd be better off.  What you gain in width, you probably lose in backspace.  

Good luck finding some.  If you do, you become "De' man to go to." We'll be coming to you.

Ed

11 hours ago, arnulfo de l.a. said:

Do they look like the 65 rivi ralleys? Will the 65 rivi ralley wheel center cap fit on the estate wagon ralley  wheels ?will the wheel itself fit on a 65 rivi? thanks for the info  SBRMD.

They appear like the `67 and 1/2 to `70 wheel in terms of the characteristics of the face. The center is INBOARD of the outside edge of the rim. The `65 Riv center cap will install without playing games with the retainers.

Tom

15x7 wheel 3.jpg

15x7 wheel 4.jpg

15x7 wheel 5.jpg

15x7 wheel 6.jpg

1 hour ago, arnulfo de l.a. said:

Thank you much Ed. Will the ralley wheels from a 1971 estate wagon fit on a 1965 rivi? I know i would need a spacer due to deeper offset . 

Attached are pics of a comparison between a `67 and 1/2 wheel to `70 15 x 6 wheel and a 15x7 wheel. Subtract the 2 backspace dimensions from each other and you will have the dimension of the spacer needed to run the 15x7 wheels.

I have 2 NOS 15x7 wheels for sale. Send me a PM if interested

Tom

20190513_074010.jpg

20190513_074235.jpg

20190513_074353.jpg

I will try to do the title of " de man " justice Ed but can't promise anything 😂 . I plan to mimic the set of deep rallys with beauty rings that were on that beautiful black riviera that was posted on this forum sometime back. Had been trying to figure out how he had turned 6" rallys into 7" rallys until Tom mentioned they came in 7". I'm guessing that what the owner of the black riviera used. I will be using 1" spacers as he did . 

It was quite a few years ago that I put this set of styled steel wheels on for a customer. And back then it was really hard to find a full set of straight and true wheels. I am thinking it would be harder today. Sometimes you have to get them mounted up and on the car before you can tell for sure.

002.thumb.png.647c58fcd6a190a4e0b551e9af860208.png

• Like 1

On 5/1/2019 at 12:27 PM, Jim Cannon said:

I agree the 820 is big.  I said so.

I could not find the tire you quote on their website as a bias ply look radial, only as the bias ply tire (my first link).

Sometimes getting the tire people on the phone is the best way to screen options.

I’ve called Diamond Back and Coker regarding availability of the 7.10 R 15 American Classic Radial Bias look tire with the NARROW white wall. Both companies said they don’t have the brand, size, and white wall I want in stock.

Turbinator.

• 4 weeks later...