Thanks to all who replied to this thread, all the information was helpful.  I tend to like taller and narrower tires,  which I feel gives a more vintage look to most old cars.  I think I'm gonna go with 225 75 15s.   Now it's just a matter of which tire to pick based on the look of the sidewall.

Here's a look at the engine bay and the back seat area.  I've been working like a dog on this!

103_0824.JPG

103_0822.JPG

• Like 3

22 hours ago, TampaRiv said:

Thanks to all who replied to this thread, all the information was helpful.  I tend to like taller and narrower tires,  which I feel gives a more vintage look to most old cars.  I think I'm gonna go with 225 75 15s.   Now it's just a matter of which tire to pick based on the look of the sidewall.

Here's a look at the engine bay and the back seat area.  I've been working like a dog on this!

103_0824.JPG

103_0822.JPG

Wow, you're really making fast progress, looks great!

Thanks Gary, I appreciate the compliment.  Shout out to Tom Telesco and Jim Cannon for their vast knowledge and patient advice!  I finally got the car started this afternoon, and it runs really well.   I am stoked!

103_0827.JPG

Rich,

Did your car originally come with a/c?  I only ask because non-a/c cars did not have fuel filters with a return line nor did they have thermal clutch fans.  

Ed,

Cris mentioned he removed all the A/C stuff because he felt that it probably was beyond repair.

Posted (edited)

Hi all,

Like to jump in on the tire thread.  Haha sounds funny!  

Has anyone gone the redline wide oval look.  I have the 65 wheels on a 64 Riviera, but not sure of the with.  Was thinking of a R70 or R60 series tires.  Any size recommendations?

Art

Edited by awk409ak (see edit history)

On 4/30/2019 at 3:15 PM, Jim Cannon said:

If you want the correct look (not necessarily the best handling, ride, MPG, tire life) look at these.  They will look like the tire in Ed's photo:

https://www.cokertire.com/710-15-bf-goodrich-1-whitewall-tire.html

I prefer radials.  But now you know what the original tire looked like and you can go from there.

You can get a radial that looks like a bias ply tire, but kind of pricey.  Here are 2 examples (one kind of wide, the other kind of narrow)...

https://www.cokertire.com/tires/american-classic-820r15-1-inch-whitewall.html

https://www.cokertire.com/tires/american-classic-670r15-1-inch-whitewall.html

If you don't mind the 1.3" white wall (which is what I have on my car, a bit wider than original) then there are lots of plain radials out there.  Here's one:

https://www.cokertire.com/tires/p215-75r15-american-classic-1-3-whitewall-tire.html

Or you can go down to 3/4" wide whitewall, which I did not care for.  Did not look right, too narrow.

Jim, will the 820 R 15 fit on the 63 Riv 5.5” wheel and fit in the wheel well?

Turbinator

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Turbinator said:

Jim, will the 820 R 15 fit on the 63 Riv 5.5” wheel and fit in the wheel well?

Turbinator

No. It's too big.

I could not find a "bias look radial" that is a good size.  Too big or too small.

Call Coker and ask them what they have that will work.

Edited by Jim Cannon (see edit history)

So about 245/R60/15, Redlines on a 65 Riviera wheel.  These are 26. 6 tall.   Is 27 inch tall tires too tall?

Art

On 4/30/2019 at 3:15 PM, Jim Cannon said:

If you want the correct look (not necessarily the best handling, ride, MPG, tire life) look at these.  They will look like the tire in Ed's photo:

https://www.cokertire.com/710-15-bf-goodrich-1-whitewall-tire.html

I just looked this tire up from Summit Racing : https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cok-57997

It is the same price $221, but Summit ships free. In the past Summit had slightly lower prices than Coker. I am going to be a little "tired" out this year. Just got four big 19's for the BMW, the '60 needs some, and if I get a little paint on the Riviera it will get it's second set of Coker BFG 7.10's.

As to being biased tires, I just got new wheel cylinders, hoses, and hardware kits to rebuild the front drums on the Riviera. The tires will fit nicely over those aluminum drums.

Bernie

58 minutes ago, Jim Cannon said:

No. It's too big.

I could not find a "bias look radial" that is a good size.  Too big or too small.

Call Coker and ask them what they have that will work.

1 hour ago, 60FlatTop said:

I just looked this tire up from Summit Racing : https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cok-57997

It is the same price $221, but Summit ships free. In the past Summit had slightly lower prices than Coker. I am going to be a little "tired" out this year. Just got four big 19's for the BMW, the '60 needs some, and if I get a little paint on the Riviera it will get it's second set of Coker BFG 7.10's.

As to being biased tires, I just got new wheel cylinders, hoses, and hardware kits to rebuild the front drums on the Riviera. The tires will fit nicely over those aluminum drums.

Bernie

Bernie, the tires will fit exactly as designed/intended.

Turbinator

16 hours ago, Turbinator said:

Ed, true, but the zGoodrich is a bias tire. Still a valid option.

Turbinator

Turb,

Both BF Goodrich tires, the 7.10 that Jim linked, and the 7.60 tire that I linked are the same exact 4 ply poly (bias) except for the size.  Coker suggest a 5 inch or 5-1/2 inch rim for the 7.10; no suggestions for the 7.60.

Here are the specs for the 7.10:

SKU 57997
Brand BF Goodrich
Weight (lbs) 25.0000
GTIN 00842199105292
Product Size 710-15
Sidewall Style Narrow Whitewall
Width Bias Ply 7.10
Rim Diameter 15
Tread Width 4.60
Section Width (Actual) 7.40
Overall Diameter 27.98
Construction Ply 4 PLY POLY
Max Load Capacity 1550@32PSI
Recommended Rim Width 5.00 - 5.50
Tube Type or Tubeless Tubeless
Tire Construction Bias Ply

Here are the specs for the 7.60

SKU 59150
Brand BF Goodrich
Weight (lbs) 25.0000
GTIN 00842199105346
Product Size 760-15
Sidewall Style Narrow Whitewall
Width Bias Ply 7.60
Rim Diameter 15
Section Width (Actual) 7.90
Overall Diameter 28.66
Construction Ply 4 PLY POLY
Tire Construction Bias Ply

Pretty much the same, except for size,  but they didn't follow the exact same format.  No wheel width recommendation for the 7.60  BUT, we know that when the Rivieras were built and shipped with the standard 7.10 tire, the car was equipped with 5-1/2 inch rims.  When a Riviera was built and shipped with the optional 7.60 "oversized" tire, the car was equipped with a 6 inch rim. You're aware of that because of the different length studs you work with on your cast covers.  

It would be helpful to know what size came on your car originally. A 28.66 inch diameter tire (7.60) is going to make fewer revolutions per mile that a 27.98 inch diameter tire (7.10)  There will be some dependency in you speedometer reading.  Do a little math.  5,280 (ft. per mile) times 12 gives you the number of inches in a mile.  Divide that by both 28.66 and 27.98 to see how many revolutions per mile for each tire.

What is a 820 R 15 tire.  R means radial construction but radial tires also have an aspect ratio in the designation and they're expressed in mm.  i.e. 225/75R15.  The width is 215 mm, the height is 75% of the width, it's Radial construction, and it fits a 15 inch rim.  

You also need to remember that in 1965, the size designation for tires was changed.  The 1965 Riviera came standard with 8.45 x 15 tires but they measured the same as the 1964 7.60 X 15 tire.  Same metric crossover for both - 225/75R15. 

The metric crossover for the 7.10 is 215/75R15.  

10 hours ago, awk409ak said:

So about 245/R60/15, Redlines on a 65 Riviera wheel.  These are 26. 6 tall.   Is 27 inch tall tires too tall?

Art

Art, 27" tires are actually to short.  But the bigger problem, besides excessive rpm's at highway speed, is the width.  245 tires are way, way to wide to run on stock rims.  I ran 225/70 tires on my 63 for a while and experienced tire rub against the frame.   You're pretty much maxed out at 225/75 on stock rims.  Read the above specs for OE tires.  Redline tires made their debut in 1966 on the Gran Sport.  The 245/60 has a sidewall height of 147mm.  The 225/75 has a sidewall height of 168mm.  Aspect ratio of 60 is too wide; tire height of 147mm is too short.  Nailhead engines are designed for torque not rpm's.  You'd be wearing out tires, piston rings, and nerves running that sized tire.  Look for a Miata tire calculator on the internet and look for comparable sizes to a 225/75R15.  

On 5/4/2019 at 7:08 AM, awk409ak said:

Hi all,

Like to jump in on the tire thread.  Haha sounds funny!  

Has anyone gone the redline wide oval look.  I have the 65 wheels on a 64 Riviera, but not sure of the with.  Was thinking of a R70 or R60 series tires.  Any size recommendations?

Art

How did you put '65 wheels on a '64?  the hub is larger on a '64 than a '65 and the '65 wheel's center hole will not go over a '64 hub.

• Like 1

I see that I was under-thinking the topic.  I didn't realize there was quite so much technical stuff to consider.   I like Bernie's look there...a taller and skinnier tire.  And of course I'm trying to economize, so I went with the Venezia 215/75/15 WW, found them on ebay from  simpletire (with free returns) for $275 for 4 tires, free shipping.   If I don't like them, I'll send them back!   Thanks guys,

Rich

Hi Ed,

I think these are 65 wheels.  i know the centers should be a darker color, but.....a9.thumb.JPG.98abb5616f66e5ee8db3217c9926f8c5.JPGimage_09.thumb.JPG.3606cbc33467b65e44ceb8e1a4d83d7b.JPG

IF the center caps are original to the rim those are '64 Wildcat wheels. So the hub size will be the same as a Riv.  & they would fit. Would you consider a swap???

Tom T.

As Tom stated, those are 64 Wildcat wheels and center caps. VERY RARE.  The reason they fit your car is because there is no register ring in the back of the wheel.  64 was the only year for no register ring.  The rally wheel only became available on the Riviera beginning in 1965. 

Tom,

I don't really know.  I was told they were 65 wheel with the wildcat center piece.  You're say these are 64 Wildcat wheels?  I get the car Saturday.

Ar

Anyone know how wide they were?  Again, don't have it yet.

Art

All Buick rally wheels are 6 inches wide.  When measuring a wheel, you measure inside the lip where the tire bead sits against the rim.  If you take a wheel off, look at the back side where the hub of the brake drum is and see if you can find evidence of welds where a register ring might have been but chiseled off.  No weld residue, they are 64 wheels.  Without my trusty guide, I can't tell you the diameter of the center cap hole or the diameter of the valve stem hole.  I'd say that the Wildcat center caps are original to the wheel which would make them 64 wheels.  Because that wheel was not available in 63, it doesnt make any difference what year the wheels are; unless you own a 64 Wildcat and are looking for the correct wheels.

Just to add to the knowledge base, my '64 has '65 rear brake drums. In the pre-internet days I picked up a real nice pair of rear drums, glass beaded them, epoxy primed, and satin black urethaned them. I slid the first one over the studs and GRRRRRRR. Center hole too small. A trip to a big lathe skinned that hole right out to size. They are still on the car today.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, awk409ak said:

Tom,

I don't really know.  I was told they were 65 wheel with the wildcat center piece.  You're say these are 64 Wildcat wheels?  I get the car Saturday.

Ar

Hi Art,

Your wheels can only be `64 or `65 wheels. I suspect due to the color of the web area these are `64 wheels. Of course, someone could have painted the webs any color they liked. When you take delivery of your car send me a PM and I can date code your wheels.

The center cap style does NOT determine the year of the wheel... but they are a clue.

I wouldnt describe the `64 center caps as rare but they are very hard to find them in excellent condition. Yours have seen their fare share of weathering as what was once black painted background has faded away. Usually when the caps fade to the degree which yours have faded the chrome Wildcat head also loses its "bling". There is an excellent set on Ebay now.

eBay item number:

Tom Mooney

Edited by 1965rivgs (see edit history)

8 hours ago, RivNut said:

All Buick rally wheels are 6 inches wide.  When measuring a wheel, you measure inside the lip where the tire bead sits against the rim.  If you take a wheel off, look at the back side where the hub of the brake drum is and see if you can find evidence of welds where a register ring might have been but chiseled off.  No weld residue, they are 64 wheels.  Without my trusty guide, I can't tell you the diameter of the center cap hole or the diameter of the valve stem hole.  I'd say that the Wildcat center caps are original to the wheel which would make them 64 wheels.  Because that wheel was not available in 63, it doesnt make any difference what year the wheels are; unless you own a 64 Wildcat and are looking for the correct wheels.

Ed,

The wheels were also made in 7 inch widths

Tom