Hello gents.  I searched the site for this topic, but the search didn't work.  Sorry to post a topic that has already been discussed, but I couldn't find it.

I'm getting ready to put tires on my '63, so I'd like some recommendations from you guys.  I want something that looks as close to the original stock tire as possible, but I'm not taking the car to Pebble Beach, so perfection isn't required.  I just want a nice tire with a white wall that's near to the original, with an aspect ratio that's similar to the stock tires from the era.   

Let me know which brands and sizes you like, and which vendors you like to buy from.  Thanks for the help!

Rich

The optional size was 8.00x15.. The normal was 7.60x15.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, telriv said:

The optional size was 8.00x15.. The normal was 7.60x15.

I've deleted my post—I dislike being that wrong, and don't want to mislead anybody.

Edited by j3studio (see edit history)

ALL suggestions are welcome even IF they MAY be wrong.  I've been with these cars since before they were new & I learn things on a DAILY basis.

• Like 1

On the 63 and 64 Rivieras, 7.10 x 15 on a 5.5" rim was standard. The 7.60 x 15 on a 6" rim was optional.  According to the ROA's  website, those convert to 215R75 and 225R75 x 15 respectively.  Modern white sidewalls are narrower.  OE was about 1.25".  You won't find anything close in today's market. You could have Diamond Back make you some. They vulcanize the width sidewall you want to a new tire in the size of your choice.

The sizes Tom quoted were for the larger Electra.  In 65 the size designation was changed from 7.60 to 8.45 but the tires themselves were exactly the same dimensions.

• Thanks 1

IMHO, the first step is to make a long, sober assessment as to what you plan to do with the car.  If you buy the "correct" tires, you can have $1500 in a set.  If you only drive a couple hundred miles a year, you could be paying $1 a mile before the tires reach their replace by date.  Maybe that's worth it if you're going for 400 points or the local show circuit or whatever, but if you're just a yobbo like most of us with other obligations, you might find that a $400 set of tires with a 3/4" whitewall is good enough.

And whatever you do, if you're restoring the car, buy the tires last.  The clock starts ticking when the tire is made, not when the car starts being driven.

• Like 1

TO EVERYONE:

Ed is correct.  I was having a "Senior" moment. So see j3studio I was WRONG also giving out WRONG info. 

On my '64 Riv. I use 225x70x15

Tom T.

Posted (edited)

The closest radial tire to the original size is 225-75r-15. Your best choices are the Hankook     225-75r-15 whitewall radials or the Venezia Classic 787

whitewall radials in  225-75r-15. I love my Venezias...........very nice handling and very smooth riding, and they have a prettier sidewall than the Hankook

tires which have letters that say Hankook that are as big as a billboard on Madison Avenue.

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, RivNut said:

In 65 the size designation was changed from 7.60 to 8.45 but the tires themselves were exactly the same dimensions. 

Because, why not? :)

I did at least catch that the last time I looked at the 1964 to 1965 transition.

9 hours ago, KongaMan said:

IMHO, the first step is to make a long, sober assessment as to what you plan to do with the car.  If you buy the "correct" tires, you can have $1500 in a set.  If you only drive a couple hundred miles a year, you could be paying $1 a mile before the tires reach their replace by date.  Maybe that's worth it if you're going for 400 points or the local show circuit or whatever, but if you're just a yobbo like most of us with other obligations, you might find that a $400 set of tires with a 3/4" whitewall is good enough.

And whatever you do, if you're restoring the car, buy the tires last.  The clock starts ticking when the tire is made, not when the car starts being driven.

KongaMan with some great advice for any collector car tire decision.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, RivNut said:

On the 63 and 64 Rivieras, 7.10 x 15 on a 5.5" rim was standard. The 7.60 x 15 on a 6" rim was optional.  According to the ROA's  website, those convert to 215R75 and 225R75 x 15 respectively.  Modern white sidewalls are narrower.  OE was about 1.25".  You won't find anything close in today's market. You could have Diamond Back make you some. They vulcanize the width sidewall you want to a new tire in the size of your choice.

The sizes Tom quoted were for the larger Electra.  In 65 the size designation was changed from 7.60 to 8.45 but the tires themselves were exactly the same dimensions.

I found a 63 brochure that featured a picture of a wire wheel cover and a white sidewall tire.  I enlarged the picture as muchas possible and the  height of the tri-shield is just a bit larger than the sidewall.  I measured the tri-shield on one of the 63 covers I had in a box and it measures 1-1/16".  Therefore, the OE sidewall is probably really close to 1". I don't recall who it was or where it was when I was told 1-1/4".  So I'm changing my earlier response.

Ed

Here's the picture that I found.

9.thumb.jpg.45091e5c9771e41e70cdb44deb39bf6a.jpg

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

If you want the correct look (not necessarily the best handling, ride, MPG, tire life) look at these.  They will look like the tire in Ed's photo:

https://www.cokertire.com/710-15-bf-goodrich-1-whitewall-tire.html

I prefer radials.  But now you know what the original tire looked like and you can go from there.

You can get a radial that looks like a bias ply tire, but kind of pricey.  Here are 2 examples (one kind of wide, the other kind of narrow)...

https://www.cokertire.com/tires/american-classic-820r15-1-inch-whitewall.html

https://www.cokertire.com/tires/american-classic-670r15-1-inch-whitewall.html

If you don't mind the 1.3" white wall (which is what I have on my car, a bit wider than original) then there are lots of plain radials out there.  Here's one:

https://www.cokertire.com/tires/p215-75r15-american-classic-1-3-whitewall-tire.html

Or you can go down to 3/4" wide whitewall, which I did not care for.  Did not look right, too narrow.

Edited by Jim Cannon (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Those tires are all kind of pricey.  You'll be well over $1000 for each of the first three, and $8-900 for the last ones.  Does ¼" of white rubber justify a 100-150% surcharge?  

My Diamond Back whitewalls were $265 each, which is STEEP compared to what I usually buy, (Hankook's normally). But then, no one else makes or carries triple stripe whitewalls, so you must pay the Man to get what you want! My two cents worth...

• Like 1

Kongaman is correct, do you want want to win a concourse or just use the car infrequently?  I am the latter,  I bought these 4 Hankook Optimo H724's 225x75x15 at Wal-Mart.  They were very well rated on other sites.  4 tires, mounting and balancing for $320.

0430191609.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, NC68Riviera said:

My Diamond Back whitewalls were $265 each, which is STEEP compared to what I usually buy, (Hankook's normally). But then, no one else makes or carries triple stripe whitewalls, so you must pay the Man to get what you want!

I will tell folks that what you pay for correct or close to correct tires even for your not remotely inexpensive early cars doesn't even come close to what I would happily pay if someone would consent to make reproduction Goodyear Eagle "gatorbacks" for my 1985 Corvette—and the barrier to entry for purchasing that car was quite low. So, I'd say the early Riviera tire choice situation is pretty good …

Edited by j3studio (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I have been buying the original style biased tires for my cars. They come in at just under $1,000. I drive 1000 to 1200 miles per year and a biased tire is good for about 10 years, properly inflated, clean, and kept in the dark most of the time. So all four average a hundred bucks a year. I figure I average $500 to $600 expenses per car annually unless some big job comes up.

For me, every time I walk up to the car I think "Ah, I love it, looks just the way I want." Better than thinking "Shooda bought the tires I wanted". For a whole decade!

Yesterday the UPS guy brought a pair of 275/40-19's. Those I did some price shopping on. I only expect around 6 years on those.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jim Cannon said:

If you want the correct look (not necessarily the best handling, ride, MPG, tire life) look at these.  They will look like the tire in Ed's photo:

https://www.cokertire.com/710-15-bf-goodrich-1-whitewall-tire.html

I prefer radials.  But now you know what the original tire looked like and you can go from there.

You can get a radial that looks like a bias ply tire, but kind of pricey.  Here are 2 examples (one kind of wide, the other kind of narrow)...

https://www.cokertire.com/tires/american-classic-820r15-1-inch-whitewall.html

https://www.cokertire.com/tires/american-classic-670r15-1-inch-whitewall.html

If you don't mind the 1.3" white wall (which is what I have on my car, a bit wider than original) then there are lots of plain radials out there.  Here's one:

https://www.cokertire.com/tires/p215-75r15-american-classic-1-3-whitewall-tire.html

Or you can go down to 3/4" wide whitewall, which I did not care for.  Did not look right, too narrow.

Jim, the tires you listed are too large in diameter. The 820 r 15 is 29.6 inches in diameter....way too large! The tire that is best from Coker

for the 63 Riviera would be their American Classic bias ply look radial in 710-15. It is exactly the correct size and has a correct one inch whitewall.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Garysriv said:

Kongaman is correct, do you want want to win a concourse or just use the car infrequently?  I am the latter,  I bought these 4 Hankook Optimo H724's 225x75x15 at Wal-Mart.  They were very well rated on other sites.  4 tires, mounting and balancing for $320.

I have bought several sets of these Hankooks, with and without the whitewalls. Despite having the HUGE Hankook name on the side they are great wet weather tires and are very quiet on the road, even on older blacktop pavement.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

Jim, the tires you listed are too large in diameter. The 820 r 15 is 29.6 inches in diameter....way too large! The tire that is best from Coker

for the 63 Riviera would be their American Classic bias ply look radial in 710-15. It is exactly the correct size and has a correct one inch whitewall.

I agree the 820 is big.  I said so.

I could not find the tire you quote on their website as a bias ply look radial, only as the bias ply tire (my first link).

Sometimes getting the tire people on the phone is the best way to screen options.

• Like 1

7.10 and 7.60 are BOTH correct fo a 63 / 64 Riviera.  The 7.10 was standards and the 7.60 was optional.  In '65, the only tire available was the 8.45, BUT that was only a change in designation. The 8.45 for 1965 had the exact same dimensions as the 7.60 for 1963//1964. The 215/75R15 is the best replacement for the 7.10; and the 225/75R15 is the best replacement for the 7.60 (8.45.)

7.10 tires came on 5.5 inch wide rims; 7.60 tires came on 6 inch wide rims.  So check your rim width before buying tires.

• Thanks 1