1955 Caribbean At Tupelo—What Happened?

J3Studio

At the Tupelo Automobile Museum auction last weekend, a 1955 Packard Caribbean sold for $28,000 including buyer's premium:

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/25593/lot/495/

Allegedly running and driving but in need of maintenance, it was also in what I think is the "correct" :) color combination—I believe it's called Dover White, Scottish Heather, and Maltese Gray.

Bonham's expected it to sell in the $40,000 to $70,000 range, but it didn't come close. What happened, O educated Packard folks? Is the price paid for deferred maintenance and sitting around in museum so much that this particular car couldn't even get to Hagerty's #4/Fair money?

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

I’m gonna guess condition was bad.   Otherwise one of the many dealers in attendance would have paid more.

That was my thought. It was hard to tell from the photographs as to how close or far it was from (say) it's sister at the National Packard Museum.

Look close at the detail photos.  While it would be a fun driver as is,  it's a used car that many would say needs full restoration.  It almost looks like a survivor.  All the chrome is worn and scratched, but not badly pitted. paint is the same.  Front seat looks like the foam is deteriorating under the covers which are far from fresh but still usable.  It was probably sold spot on price wise.  If one wants to just tour around in a 55 Packard this would be a good one. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, alsancle said:

A 55 Caribbean may be the most expensive and complicated car of the 1950s to restore.

But so gorgeous! They have been a favorite of mine of for decades.

However, when I got even a little educated, I got the sense that I will never have one, because of that "expensive and complicated" thing. My taste in 1950s cars definitely tends toward the high end.