93 Riviera Minor Issues

Killawattz

Greetings,

I just picked up this beauty a few weeks ago.  It only has 111k miles on it, and with the exception of a few minor issues, everything works.  It's the SE package with the electric trunk and what not.   I feel like I'm driving around a couch.  Everything on it is incredibly clean, even the engine bay is clean enough to eat off of, no leaks at all.  Best 2k I've ever spent on a car.  It looks like it spent most of it's life garaged, and will continue to do so.

And on to the broken things:

For some reason, the heat does not work.  The radiator is full, it does not over heat, and the AC works great.  It is summer in AZ, so not a huge issue right now, but at some point it needs to be fixed.  Preferably before next winter.

The front mount shackle towards the the front right of the car was toast, so I replaced it, but it seems impossible to find any of the other mounts.  Can anyone shed some light on this?  I've heard that not too many of these cars were produced, so the aftermarket never built the mounts for these cars.

And finally it has an exhaust leak.  It comes through the vents when the car is stationary, goes away once the vehicle starts moving.  I didn't see anything obvious when I looked from the top, but I'll have to get under it and stuff a rag in the exhaust to try and find the leak.  Are there any common culprits?

Also, according to the build sheet, this car came with remote entry, but I have no remote for it.  Could Buick get me a remote if the car has the capability for key-less entry?

Finally, while some like the landau top, I don't.  But at first glance, to make it look like a non landau top car, it would appear some body work would need to be done?  I see little posts the vinyl top clips on to, so I think it's more than just remove landau top and be done with it.  Has anyone ever tried this?

Thanks

Edited by Killawattz
Added info (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Killawattz said:

Hmm, did I post this in the wrong section?

No—you came to the most right place. In my opinion, the majority of knowledge of and experience with Rivieras on this forum is with the 1985 and prior cars. However, the ROA is definitively for every year and generation.

I didn't respond because I don't have enough technical knowledge of the 1993 Rivieras to assist with any confidence.

Edited by j3studio (see edit history)

Removing the landau roof would require body work as well as paint.  You may also need to remove the rear window as well to do it right.  I would leave it alone if I were you.  With regard to exhaust leaks, get your car up on a lift and it shouldn't be too hard to find.  There may be more than one if the system is original to the car.  There are a number of electronic controls in the car that you have.  Your no heat issue could be electronic or mechanically related.  The heater core could also be a source of the problem.

I doubt you will find a new remote for the car but there is an outside chance your Buick dealer may be able to locate one for you.  The 1993 was the last year for this generation Riviera.  Buick did not make a 1994 Riviera.  The final generation was made from 1995-1999 but the last year production ceased early in the model year.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Pat Curran said:

I doubt you will find a new remote for the car but there is an outside chance your Buick dealer may be able to locate one for you.

Would something from a third-party or eBay function?

Edited by j3studio
Likely listed the wrong fob (see edit history)

5 minutes ago, Pat Curran said:

It won't work right out of the box.  You will have to take your car to the dealer to have it programmed specifically for your car.  

That's what I thought. However, if the dealer can't order the remote, it is at least a start.

Edited by j3studio (see edit history)

The motor mount situation is not surprising.  It is very difficult to find many of the parts needed to fix 90's GM cars.

90's GM cars never existed as far as GM is concerned, and the aftermarket never geared up to make much for these cars, and most of the

parts cars have been crushed already. I've got a 95 Astro van in my shop right now that has a broken pot metal piece in the steering column

that links the rod going to the ignition switch to the pot metal gear rack actuated by the ignition lock. There isn't one of these on planet earth...

discontinued by GM, no aftermarket part available, and nobody has a used steering column for it. We are going have to try and fabricate. up something that will work

• Thanks 1

You can buy it from any source but the dealer will have to program it for you.  Just make sure you have a guarantee that the item is good.  The system in your car will have to be in good working order as well for the remote to work once it is programmed.  

• Thanks 2

The vinyl tops for the 7th generation Riviera are simply a bolt-on cap.  I don't believe any body work and/or paint is needed, if I remember correctly.  You can find remote key fobs on eBay from time to time that were made for this generation along with compatible Cadillac remote key fobs (they both will work).  Also, you can reprogram them yourself for this generation (dealer has to reprogram for 8th generation).  Google "how to reprogram remote key fobs for 7th generation Rivieras/Reattas"...instructions are quite easy. 

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, DShip said:

The vinyl tops for the 7th generation Riviera are simply a bolt-on cap.  I don't believe any body work and/or paint is needed, if I remember correctly.  You can find remote key fobs on eBay from time to time that were made for this generation along with compatible Cadillac remote key fobs (they both will work).  Also, you can reprogram them yourself for this generation (dealer has to reprogram for 8th generation).  Google "how to reprogram remote key fobs for 7th generation Rivieras/Reattas"...instructions are quite easy. 

I know they bolted on but I assumed the mounting studs for the trim would need to be dealt with?

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Pat Curran said:

I know they bolted on but I assumed the mounting studs for the trim would need to be dealt with?

Very possibly...I sold my '92 a year ago and the last time the cap was off for whole-car painting was 2007.

13 minutes ago, DShip said:

When I bought my 93, Ship helped me program my remote. If I remember correctly, there are instructions in the owners manual.  I remember pulling down the cover for the under side of the package tray - it's attached with Velcro- and fishing the wire which acts as an antenna receiver.  Pulling the wire down to expose it and standing at the back of the car and following the directions.  Really pretty simple.  This was done with an aftermarket fob.

• Thanks 3

I see, so the remote start key fob is possible to acquire.

Thank you all so much for the help, I know this generation of Riviera doesn't have a huge following, considering they aren't the best looking cars in the world and their sales at the time were horrible.

But it seems like a really good car, and I know the 3800 II engine is a work horse. Probably the best V6 GM has ever produced.  I expect the transmission to go out long before the engine does.  I'm a mechanic myself, just haven't worked on anything of this era in a long time.

I'll have to see where the other mounts are, perhaps just take them off and rebuild them myself with polyurethane.  However, it's MUCH better after replacing that driver side ring mount, can't feel the engine shift at all anymore from a stop.  I believe the struts could also do with replacing.  It's a good car that has had regular services, but I think for the most part it was just left sitting in a garage, besides oil changes and brake pads, not much was done to it.

So, on to the exhaust leak.  I'm hoping when I actually get under it, something obvious shows itself.

Again thank you all for the assistance.

• Like 2

Congratulations on you purchase, yes these are good riding cars. And yes, the 3800 is a workhorse! I had a '92 that I put over 215K miles on and the transaxle never gave out on that one.

Your picture is not showing for me?

For the heater … I have a similar issue with my ’93, I believe the problem is the “Programmer.” It is part of the electronic controls, and is mounted in behind the glove box on the passenger side. It kind of works like a heater control valve, if it is out of adjustment, there is an arm connected to it for the system , you will not get heat.

I believe the front-end mounting was the same, or very close, for most years this generation was produced? I am not sure what mount you might be looking for, but I would not think they should be that hard to find.

As Pat said, get it up and see what you can find for the exhaust leak.

The remote that is linked to above is for the ’95, and maybe ’96, but I don’t believe it would work with your ’93. The correct key fobs are out there, and the programming is pretty straight forward. Here is a link to a site that has those directions, and a picture of the fob and instructions below.

1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 Buick Riviera Keyless Remote Programming Method

1427497959_keyfobinstructions(2).thumb.jpg.58037ead458c6bf9832d86b4bebb60e7.jpg

I can’t say for sure about the top but I was thinking there are differences in the way the quarter & back windows are trimmed when the top is added too, along with having to deal with a repaint to cover-up all of the attachment points for the top covering?

Hope some of that helps, good luck and have fun with it.

• Like 1