Sign in to follow this  
1937hd45

Any interest or updated info on the Tupelo, Ms. Auction?

Amelia Island Concours had a coachbuilt Volkswagon class - it helps that these cars are getting some notoriety in addition to a fair number of VW people looking for things that are unusual/different. 

• Thanks 1

Well, the 1930 Auburn went for $19,000. So it did outsell the '58 Metro @ two grand.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, TNGizmo said:

The super beetle beat out the 914?!

I get the impression it is a pretty nice example of a Super Beetle Coupe (as well as a super nice example of a Beetle Convertible). 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

2 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

65-110K as the estimate on the 1938 Cadillac V-16 (with sale price of 65K) - by the way, a cloth interior is still pretty expensive to do (only difference I see is cost of leather to cloth and perhaps 5%).

Correct, labor is the big thing.  A closed car upholstery job is easily 15K, and if you have to rework chrome, woodgrain, real wood accents, and so forth, 25K or more is easy to reach.  This is not "Pebble Beach" work, those costs have gone beyond the normal realm of restoration costs....

• Like 2

The Opel GT was probably a steal at 2K - my Aunt drove one new and it rusted up to the door handles and then a little further (ie one with no rust to limited rust if such was the case is pretty rare). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dave Fields said:

We bought a couple cars. I might be able to comment better when they come in. The price means nothing. Condition is everything, and I don't mean paint and body. We have been cleaning gastanks and carburetors and fuel lines all week. I stink of rotten gas... Ah but when they start! I drove a 1927 Chevrolet today. Last time I rode in one I was 8. Also drove a 1950 ford woody that needs more gas tank and fuel cleaning. Didn't know early 30s Packards take 12 quarts of oil. I do now. Picture is the crew working on the 1912 Breeze.

20190426_141854.jpg

Congratulations !  And please do share.  Also, I like your good old fashioned metal gasoline cans !  

12 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

That was fun, I usually do not sit through an entire auction. 

Agreed. Thanks to all who contributed to this thread (and others) with their knowledge.

This auction may have been easier to watch because we knew all the cars were going to sell.

• Like 1

That Alvis Speed 20 DHC looks like a very reasonable price at $42.000.00.  More than I can afford but what a car.

Greg in Canada

4 hours ago, TNGizmo said:

Bonham was way off on their estimate on the sp2...

What is an sp2?

Bob

3 hours ago, Dave Fields said:

We bought a couple cars. I might be able to comment better when they come in. The price means nothing. Condition is everything, and I don't mean paint and body. We have been cleaning gastanks and carburetors and fuel lines all week. I stink of rotten gas... Ah but when they start! I drove a 1927 Chevrolet today. Last time I rode in one I was 8. Also drove a 1950 ford woody that needs more gas tank and fuel cleaning. Didn't know early 30s Packards take 12 quarts of oil. I do now. Picture is the crew working on the 1912 Breeze.

20190426_141854.jpg

Is this the same Breese that was in the early 1940's VMCCA events? There is a film of one driving around a race track in Massettuchetts on this Forum some were. Congratulations on your win. Bob

38 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

What is an sp2?

Bob

A South American sports VW variant that is rarely seen in North America.  Quite nice at that.

Greg

The model R brought good money.

can anyone comment on why the early Pierce went so low? was it in tough shape?

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, mercer09 said:

The model R brought good money.

can anyone comment on why the early Pierce went so low? was it in tough shape?

In  the listing it was listed as a new body. Also, anything post 1915 will be less than half of the price of a HCCA car.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

thanks Ed. Well I see 2 diff prices on the model R, so I guess the 67k I first read was wrong. Looks like 31k.......

The 1923 Marmon Speedster brought $89,600 NOT $8,960  You about gave me a heart attack !!  

• Like 1

On 4/27/2019 at 11:24 AM, John_Mereness said:

I thought the 1927 Stutz Boattail a near steal at 52K against a 80-120K estimate.

Yes

24838867-48-27.jpg&width=640&height=480

The Stutz was a rebody. 75k for a real car was 1990 money. 

• Like 2

looks like 90k is the golden number at the moment on the speedsters. That was the asking price of the one that sold on here a few months back.

I don't know how many Breeze cars are around but the one in the photos posted looks like it may be the one that was here on long island back about 40 years or more ago and owned by a fellow in Queens County (  eastern most  borough of New York City ) named Mel Sperazza. ( I think that is the way he spelled his name) . I though that he had the only one that existed at the time. His was painted tan as well.

I think the Nash at 80k was good money considering they painted it a shade of "horrible".   Duesenberg feels like a deal for a one off attractive body.   I guess the age of the restoration is really done.

2 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I think the Nash at 80k was good money considering they painted it a shade of "horrible".   Duesenberg feels like a deal for a one off attractive body.   I guess the age of the restoration is really done.

So there were two color blind bidders in the room, interesting. 

Bob 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

So there were two color blind bidders in the room, interesting.

Ouch!