Sign in to follow this  
1937hd45

Any interest or updated info on the Tupelo, Ms. Auction?

Any particular reason the museum is selling so may or are these not all museum's cars?

Seems like there's always money for a Tucker: $1,800,000 plus buyer's premium.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, TNGizmo said:

Any particular reason the museum is selling so may or are these not all museum's cars?

The museum is closing—the proceeds are going to charity.

Edited by j3studio (see edit history)

Just now, md murray said:

funny to see the shiny and not so shiny L29 cabriolets bring about the same money

I noticed that. Was the shiny the wrong color?

Posted (edited)

1955 Packard Caribbean Convertible—in what I think of as the "right" color combination (Dover White, Scottish Heather, Maltese Gray)—sells for a mere $25,000.

Lots of fifties iron getting killed out there; a 1954 Kaiser Darrin Sports Convertible sells for $68,000.

Seems like enthusiasm is waning.  58 Packard sold at $10k with a low estimate at $30K

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

The Peerless in the sale bid to 60K, though appeared to be a no-sale and I did not catch why (perhaps it was just on display and added to sale as owner had no place else to store it, time to move it on, or ...).

The Peerless has been in the collection for a decade or two, but in the back room behind a pile of artificial Christmas trees and never displayed to the public. 3 hours ago mike6024 said it fetched $67,200. That's a good price for a car which is un-restored, and which has an approximately 610 Cu. In./110 HP Ahrens-Fox engine instead of the approximately 90 HP/578 Cu. In. Peerless engine . The online description says it was a period motor swap and that the Peerless may have been owned by the fire truck company. Bonhams says it sold for 60K, so who knows.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

Just now, jeff_a said:

The Peerless has been in the collection for a decade or two.

There is no reported sale price (only car in auction that does not have one so far).

3 minutes ago, TNGizmo said:

Seems like enthusiasm is waning.  58 Packard sold at $10k with a low estimate at $30K

Why go for the 1958 when you could get the Caribbean for 25k?

35 minutes ago, md murray said:

funny to see the shiny and not so shiny L29 cabriolets bring about the same money

My guessing is the "unrestored" L-29 was deemed to have been a better product to start with - I found such curious too (guess my decision would have been made seeing pair together in person). 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, j3studio said:

I noticed that. Was the shiny the wrong color?

There really is not anything wrong with an L-29 in Yellow with Green trim.  I am not sure how exactly it work on a new car, but somewhere I have like 4 standard Cabriolet color combinations (ex. Ken Clark's Cabriolet finished in Black with Copper color trim is one combination listed). 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

There really is not anything wrong with an L-29 in Yellow with Green trim.  I am not sure how exactly it work on a new car, but somewhere I have like 4 standard Cabriolet colors combinations (ex. Ken Clark's Cabriolet finished in Black with Copper color trim is one combination listed). 

I phrased that incorrectly—I didn't think the color was wrong, just not what buyers might prefer.

… and a 1960 Chrysler 300F that is currently a convertible sells for $52,000—though it seems it wasn't always a convertible.

38 minutes ago, TNGizmo said:

No. I disagree. Just shifting from one segment to another. It found a buyer at a price he was willing to pay.

The price of a collector car does NOT dictate the amount of enthusiasm there is for that car. Just because I didn't buy any of the Tupelo cars doesn't mean I don't have enthusiasm for them.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, j3studio said:

I phrased that incorrectly—I didn't think the color was wrong, just not what buyers might prefer.

People should be buying Cord L-29's via quality of the underlying product prior to restoration (was it a decent car pre-restoration) more so than being concerned with color.  I am still leaning toward the black unrestored car being something people could figure out it was always a pretty decent car (ie they bought a decent base product to work with).  

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, jeff_a said:

The online description says it was a period motor swap and that the Peerless may have been owned by the fire truck company.

I think that is a real stretch. The engine swap would have had to be done when the Peerless was still a relatively new car to make any sense at all but I can testify to the fact that it appeared to be a very neat job. In fact, at first, I didn't even notice it not having ever seen a 6-cylinder Peerless engine. But it seems far more likely it was done in the 50s or thereabout.

I thought the price (whether it sold or not) was pretty generous considering the difficulty of finding an engine if there even is such a thing out there to be bought. There's no question it was an extremely impressive car - the equal of any brass car in existence but a serious expense to restore or even get in runable condition. I don't remember what the rear interior was like but I think it was completely intact but very dirty.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

… that was a really hopeful price range for a chrome bumper shark Corvette with no provenance or special equipment.

Avanti at 21K shows some respect.  Cord at 67K makes me sure that the recent offer on my unrestored, but running and driving, Cord phaeton, was slightly low, as it was right there...

Tuckers, I just don't understand.  Yes, they are "rare", but really not a desirable car overall, except for bragging rights.

West is correct, to judge the current market by one isolated auction is just bad information in and bad information out.  This auction did not have the correct people looking at a lot of the cars, not that there's anything wrong with that.

My eldest sister used to run a small antique shop.  I was with her numerous times at estate sales or auctions or flea markets, and an obvious good deal would appear.  Every now and then, she'd pass, and just say "let someone else find this treasure...."

Same applies to cars, at times a buyer or bidder just thinks hey, let someone else enjoy it or experience the pleasure of bringing a museum car back to life...…..

Just now, TNGizmo said:

Bonham was way off on their estimate on the sp2...

You aren't kidding! I had never heard of them until today. Pretty car.