New York DMV used to be very easy to deal with when it comes to getting a registration without prior paperwork.  I did several many years ago.  Your best bet would be to go to DMV in person and explain your situation.

• Thanks 1

I had a '61 Classic several years ago. I grew up just south of Kenosha, Wisconsin where they were built and always wanted a "Kenosha Cadillac" so I bought this one. When I decided to sell it it took me over a year to get $3500 for it so I would recommend not spending a large amount of money fixing it up because there's not much of a demand for '60s Ramblers. Also, some states are easier than others to get a new title for an old car so hopefully NY is one of the easier states. Good luck with your project.... :)

PICT0052.JPG

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, James1983 said:

I live in upstate ny and body pretty sound. Floors are gone found a lot of info when I went to see it today. It is a 66 has the straight 6 my plan is to get it to my house then just strip it apart starting with body and motor work on frame and go from there back yard project but like I said 25$ 

James did you read any of my posts? Start by cleaning up and assessing what you have. Then work on one thing at a time. Do not go tearing everything apart.  That is a unibody car, if it is badly rusted underneath it is impossible to fix unless you spend more than the car is worth. You may want to tackle it for the hell of it but you should know what you are up against.

I would start by getting it running and go from there. On the good side, it is a 2 door hardtop which is nicer and more desirable than a sedan, also rarer. If you get it home I can tell you in more detail how to get it running.

• Like 1

Yes I have read all of your post.. I am going to do what you say and I probably will tackle the job just cause of the rare find and the 25$ I spent I don’t mind spending a few years on it and taking my time to do so. It does have the straight 6 in it and also the transmission is there body is pretty solid few patches of rust but for being in New York And not being a complete loss I am definitely gonna take the time on it. I know most everyone is probably thinking I am crazy to do it but it breaks my heart to see such a beautiful car fading away to nothing and I don’t have the money to go buy a “decent” fixer upper because when you do find one around here it’s the frame and seats and they ask 20k for it. So all we have in life is time and memory’s so if I get 10 years keeping my daughter into working on it with me it will be worth every dime and time I put into it. 

On a second note I will definitely take your advice and not just strip it cause that was my original thought was to strip the interior then the motor then the body and work ground up putting it back together. It did seem like everything was there on it with the exception of a few body parts like driver side head light. But motor seemed whole. Just trying to find someone here with a roll back that will get the car to my house so I can really begin to play with it.again thank you for everyone’s advice

Before taking ANYTHING off, take LOTS and LOTS of photos and get yourself a FACTORY shop manual. You will want to know how it came apart and how it goes back together.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, keiser31 said:

Before taking ANYTHING off, take LOTS and LOTS of photos and get yourself a FACTORY shop manual.

And bag and tag the parts.

• Like 2

If you belong to the Auto Club they will bring it home for you. You have to tell them on the phone it is for your driver or whatever car is in their records. Usually the tow truck driver is a good sport, occasionally you have to slip him a gratuity.

• Thanks 1

First thing you should do before spending a dime more is to get the title issue resolved.  Some states are easy and others are impossible.  If you can't get it titled/registered it is a parts car.  The good news is that you can probably get your $25 back.

• Like 2

I really appreciate your focus on saving this car. I hope that you are young enough to pull it off. I second the idea of taking it slowly, and trying to stick to one component at a time. 

As you continue with the process, you will be looking for other cars, like, or similar to the one you just bought. Trust me I know what I'm talking about, when I say that they can breed like rabbits. Some will be better, some worse, but none will be as cheap as your first.  You may be faced with the dilemma  of which worthy candidate has the best chance at respectability. Keeping your car together is the best insurance for being able to pass it on to someone else, when your idea for the process changes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ol' yeller said:

First thing you should do before spending a dime more is to get the title issue resolved.  Some states are easy and others are impossible.  If you can't get it titled/registered it is a parts car.  The good news is that you can probably get your $25 back.

I’m close enough to Vermont where they will register anything with a bill of sale and create a title done that 100 times with other vehicle 

To tackle that rust you will need to remove the seats and carpeting, and the drivetrain, to expose all the floor, and the bottom edges of the fenders and such. Get a fair assessment of how much metal work is needed. Whether you want to get it running first, and tackle "one component at a time" is up to you. But the real work will be on the body.

If the floor is real bad you may need to remove seats and carpet but not drivetrain. Most of the time the worst rust out is under the driver's feet then the passenger's. Rear floor probably ok unless the windows were left open or water ran into the car somehow.

Unibody cars don't have a heavy frame, the whole body is the frame and it's all made of thin sheet metal. Which is not good for rust resistance but makes repairs easier.

• Like 1