Locomobile 4 Cylinder Gathering Place

alsfarms

It’s a nice car……..gonna need TLC before start up. I certainly would have chased it as it was close to me……..but I have too many cars right now. The story will be on start up……….as long as she purrs…….it’s a great score. They will probably have 100 hours in it before they start it…….and that’s just the mechanicals………not the cosmetics. Bet she runs like the wind when dialed in.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

Richard…..you never find Loco’s. You must hunt them. It’s a small world(Loco) in the car hobby. HCCA is the club to network with. Also, the Loco threads here. There are only two types of any year Loco………ones that are active and seen at shows and tours……….most of them are well sorted as they are owned by experienced car people. The other type is cars sitting and forgotten till someone passes on. Getting one of them running and reliable is difficult at best. There is no supply of parts at all…….except tires and tubes, and today even that is spotty. A Loco is for an accomplished and experienced car collector. You seldom see them sold outside their little world they revolve around. If you want one…..chase on, one is never going to fall in your lap. It’s a lot of work finding and buying cars……..it isn’t easy. Find good cars is extremely difficult.

• Like 2

Richard…….problem is most of the early guys here are always hunting. While I’m not specific on a Loco, if I trip over a good one are a fair price to me……..which is probably lower than many people would accept, I would own one instantly. In a perfect world a gunboat would be my choice. A Pierce, Stephen’s Duryea, Simplex, and all the other cool stuff is also on our “fall over it” list. 

It is true about the changing ownership of Locomobile automobiles. My Dad used to say: It not so much "What you know but Who you know".  That is a true statement!  It is probably a good idea to not leave any burning bridges as we make new friendships in the early automobile arena.  Hints and referrals generally come as a result of friendship or kinship.  Yes, on the other hand, a good share of Locomobiles do land in auctions so it is important to follow that venue also.  What a hobby this is.....we are all competing for that elusive Locomobile project or runner-driver that is just what we want.  When the pickings are lean the competition is keen.

Al

Edited by alsfarms
clarity (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Loco's are a car guys car. So you usually go up against people who know exactly what they want, and what they are willing to pay. Certainly not many random buyers on Loco"s!

• Like 2

My granddad, used to say, "he who sleep's weep's", meaning if you are on the hunt and run across a potential automobile to purchase, if it is rare, valuable and has a known market....... you better not be sleeping or you will be weeping as someone else will beat you to the draw.

Al

My mentors were very simple.......learn to pull the trigger, or you lose. They were right, and it took years for it to sink into my skull. 

• Like 1

I don't think it has been mentioned, the car above is listed for sale on the HCCA website for what seems like a ridiculously low price for a 1910. It did not change hands through any kind of back room, super secret, hush, hush deal, just old fashioned first come, first served hospitality. In this case, anyone who saw the ad could have bought the car, and did. No chasing required.

On 5/3/2022 at 4:54 PM, AHa said:

I don't think it has been mentioned, the car above is listed for sale on the HCCA website for what seems like a ridiculously low price for a 1910. It did not change hands through any kind of back room, super secret, hush, hush deal, just old fashioned first come, first served hospitality. In this case, anyone who saw the ad could have bought the car, and did. No chasing required.

No chasing required? Well, I would disagree……..I saw the ad, and made immediate inquiries, tossed it around with a few people here………my call confirmed someone was going to look at it within a few hours……..and it ended up being the purchaser according to what I was told. So, I started the chase…..as the car was very close to me……..and made a decision to pass  on it from phone information based on a handful of criteria.( Criteria that’s unique to me.)  To land the car, it would have required a purchase from a few minutes research….and from just a few photos…….and I have done that three times in the last two years……….I wasn’t willing to do it on the Loco………as it involved more risk than I was willing to accept. I sincerely hope the new owner got a great car that will run with little effort. We may or may not find out. He’s entitled to his privacy. But the car was on the open market for very little time……so “pull the trigger” and “jump while you can” we’re both in play. It will be fun to see how it turns out if we are allowed inside the recommissioning. 

As far as ridiculously low price……..if it was that low, I would have just bought it. I may have been a great deal……or a pig in a poke. The car had risk involved in the purchase………nothing ventured, nothing gained. 

For comparison to the 1910 speedster posted above, vintage car buyers (vintagecarbuyers.com)has a 1909 model 30 complete and presentable touring for $115,000. These are asking prices and I have no idea what the actual value is but Locomobiles are so rare and as Al and Ed have both suggested, if you want one you have to chase it, and once you find it, you need to pounce, or watch it drive away on somebody else's trailer. Pictures on the website.

2017-04-07-1909-Locomobile-Model-30-Touring-IMG_1645.jpg

• Like 1

Didn't Mark Smith have an entire running 48 chassis for sale about a year ago......can't remember the number.

Does anyone reading here have information on early 4 cylinder Locomobile "county fair" type race cars.  I am inquiring more about converted stock Locomobiles used in local race events and not the special factory built race cars used in the major races of the day.  Pictures, history and statistics are of interest.

Al

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I have been given the permission to post a few pictures of a west coast four cylinder that has migrated to Florida.  This particular Locomobile is the former Mike Roberts Locomobile Model L of HCCA notoriety.  What a nice piece of rolling and running Locomobile art it is.  Here are a few pictures.

73038.jpeg.61deb4ab82445be2e8912ce2d036751e.jpeg

Edited by alsfarms
Clarity (see edit history)

Take heart Brass Era enthusiasts!  If you want a quality automobile, you have to look and talk to many people and lastly.....when opportunity knocks it is important to be able to jump.  This Locomobile will be back on the road soon doing what it was designed to do, drive with brass and Locomobile quality class.

Al

Edited by alsfarms
  • Like 2

John, Do you know what type shocks are on the back of the rear springs?  It has nice commanding headlamps, (what type?) and it looks like an Adlake taillight.  The previous owner invested significantly to put this Locomobile in this beautiful condition and also be very solid mechanically.

Al

Edited by alsfarms

darn handsome thing. lamps could be anyone's and are impressive things. I'll look it over. Not for critcism, but observation for historical comment between me and you, notice it has the flat wheel from a baby tonneau and probably was originally fitted with a dished wheel for a touring. 

• Like 1

John, As I study the pictures of the Blue Locomobile Model L Touring car, I have noted one thing that I would like your thoughts on.  Look at the picture that shows the oiler side of the engine compartment.  That picture shows the ears of the crank case motor mounts sitting on top of the wooden hood shelves.  Is that correct or am I seeing something else?  I had the opinion that the elevation of the engine, in relation to the frame was set and did not vary.  Your thoughts or thoughts from other Model L owners is solicited.

Al

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a vintage 1950's photograph of a 1910 Model L Locomobile resurrected as a speedster, shared by another Locmobile enthusiast..  I wonder where this Locmobile is now?  Does anyone here have personal knowledge of this Locomobile?

Al

image.png.d612d0698f5b49a8b5fd8bcebf5d02dc.png

Edited by alsfarms
clarity (see edit history)

I just noticed, this picture was taken when we used to run the tires until they blew out!  Look at that right front tire, driving this Locomobile was a certain leap of faith!  As a kid, I did that same trick on my 1929 Model A Ford roadster.  It actually held up until found some better used tires.  Only the best for that old Model A that a 14 year old kid could afford!

Al