Sign in to follow this  
flewthecoupe

Covering cloth roof insert while towing

Recommended Posts

Hello,

 

Brand new to group and just a quick "Hello" before I ask my question. My dad passed on a few years back and I was given his '32 Pontiac 302. It's been sitting in a garage or in storage for the better part of 50 years. The engine was rebuilt at one point but it's been probably 20+ years since I've had it running. I'm working out details to haul it 950 miles from where it is now to my house on an open trailer. My only real concern is the cloth insert on the roof. It's currently in one piece... or was the last time I saw it and has had a piece of plywood covering it for as long as I can remember to keep dust and birds and animals and whatever else from truly destroying it. Any recommendations on how to cover that so it doesn't get destroyed en route?

 

Thanks in advance for any input.

 

Michael

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Benefits of AACA Membership.

39 minutes ago, flewthecoupe said:

Hello,

 

Brand new to group and just a quick "Hello" before I ask my question. My dad passed on a few years back and I was given his '32 Pontiac 302. It's been sitting in a garage or in storage for the better part of 50 years. The engine was rebuilt at one point but it's been probably 20+ years since I've had it running. I'm working out details to haul it 950 miles from where it is now to my house on an open trailer. My only real concern is the cloth insert on the roof. It's currently in one piece... or was the last time I saw it and has had a piece of plywood covering it for as long as I can remember to keep dust and birds and animals and whatever else from truly destroying it. Any recommendations on how to cover that so it doesn't get destroyed en route?

 

Thanks in advance for any input.

 

Michael

I would wrap the whole area above the doors with a Saran wrap type of plastic. When I sold my "burn victim" 1926 Chevrolet coupe, the guy wrapped it completely with a roll of that stuff and did not lose a single piece of wood from the car on the way home. This is the car. I used to have photos of it on the trailer all wrapped up, but I lost a bunch of photos a while back.

post-37352-143137995966.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome, once you get the car home and are looking for help you should post questions down below in the Pontiac section.  A 302 is a beautiful car and has a V8 to boot.

Keiser31's suggestion is the next best way after an enclosed trailer.  I have flat towed and open trailer towed many cars and always (except once) tried not to be an obstruction on the road and to keep the speed down.  Patience and check the trailer often.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found some photos. Here is my Chevrolet on it's way to a new owner all wrapped up. The guy said he had done this numerous times without incident....

post-37352-143138662311.jpg

post-37352-143138662315.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Plastic wrap can burn through the paint from wind flutter. Never tow a car with any type of covering unless it can not move........heat shrink seems to be ok most of the time, anything else will burn the paint. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Plastic wrap can burn through the paint from wind flutter. Never tow a car with any type of covering unless it can not move........heat shrink seems to be ok most of the time, anything else will burn the paint. 

That stretch-tight stuff seems to work well for the guy who bought my car. Once wrapped tight it won't flap around.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A six cylinder in 1932 is a Series 402 not a 302 and obviously your Pontiac is a six.  Lots of help on the Pontiac forum for split-head Pontiacs.  Great cars I have been driving my Grandfathers 1930 as a daily driver since 1959.

Edited by Tinindian (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clearly seems to be a Series 402 and Model 32301.  I can see the firewall plate is still there and you can confirm by seeing the 32301 on the plate.  I have attached a photo of the plate from my '32 Series 402 Model 32308 Sport Coupe.  There is also a plate on the main sill on the drivers side of the car (about 1/2" x 2") that will have a 4 digit code that will tell the original paint color.

 

I am the Tech Advisor for 1932 Pontiacs for the Pontiac Oakland Club and am happy to help in any way I can.  Send me a private message and I will give you contact information.

There are also Pontiac specific forums here:

Pontiac and Oaklands

Pontiac Flathead Owners

 

You might also consider joining the Early Times Chapter of the Pontiac Oakland Club or Oakland Pontiac Worldwide which is a chapter of the Antique Automobile Association of America.

 

I think you will find this to be a very fun car to drive.

 

Where is the car located?

 

Rob

 

DashPlate.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/25/2019 at 6:50 PM, keiser31 said:

That stretch-tight stuff seems to work well for the guy who bought my car. Once wrapped tight it won't flap around.

If any distance they may have to wrap it more than one time  - Ed is right that it can be a problem if it tends to start coming loose. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Using the stretch plastic and a lot of clear tape rendered this cocoon surrounding our '06 Franklin on a trip from Seattle to Los Angeles.  The first 100 miles required a few stops to repair or tape down sections which were either applied wrong (mostly overlapped in the wrong direction) or had broken loose. No problems afterwards.

cocoon.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this