1953 Skylark steering problem

jrdugas03

7 hours ago, jrdugas03 said:

It may cost some time and backwards progress, but it's still progress

I used to called that a "net positive experience" at staff meetings. Boy, the boss would cringe when he heard that.

Bernie

• Haha 2

OK...Much as I didn't want to tackle this on a Monday, I did...Hauled it back out without scratching anything. Studied my manual. Took apart only what I had to to move the shaft a tooth. Or at least I hoped I did cause it's hard to see where it was. Re centered everything. Bolted it back together, 5.5 turns lock to lock! Got it back in roughly. Box needs to be centered on mounts etc. And boy does it need an alignment! But my back hurts now, and plenty of time for the details..

Thank you so much to everyone and especially Al!!!! Could not have done it without you sir!!! Now, if it ever gets here, on to the wiring harness!!!

JR at CTH Automotive 

• Thanks 1

2 PS's.  Yes Al I do now have that extra 1/8 turn end play on both stops  you referenced. Did not before. Also, just informed my customer of the fix, and told him I wouldn't be billing for the time. He said bill for ALL my time. I guess my rep. is intact...:)

I am sorry if this is going off topic.let me know if I'm not using good forum etiquette.  Does anyone here know Edmund Pease,  Narragansett productions? I've dealt with him for years. Bought 3 other harnesses from  him. Last we talked, a week ago last Wednesday.  He said my harness was boxed to ship. Been waiting for months. Haven't  gotten it, and his phone is out of service.....I really like the guy and am worried. Also worried about my very expensive already paid for harness.. 

Any info, or other contact info I might try...is greatly appreciated.....

JR. 

• 1 year later...

I have been reading this issue with the steering gear on a 53 Skylark. We are attempting to pull the steering gear out of the car for a rebuild. What is the procedure to disconnect the steering gear from the steering column? We pulled the three bolts that hold a section of the hoses to the gear and it appears there is a snap ring possible involved. I would appreciate any help with this removal. 

Thank you