1929 Essex door handle help

Hey gang,

My buddy has a '29 essex that he will be doing some interior work to, we're trying to get the interior door latch handles off so we can pull the door panels. we can't find any clips or pins anywhere and don't see anything obvious that will help. if anyone has any experience pulling these off please chime in, also, pictures would be helpful.

thanks,

I am not familiar with Essex specifically but there are only three was the are retained.  A machine screw through the handle (very obvious), a pin or a horse shoe spring clip both of which you can see and remove by pushing the escutcheon in against the upholstery.

clips.jpg

images (1).jpg

thanks for the input, I/we are familiar with all 3 of those, unfortunately, none are present---we have pushed in the escutcheon as far as we can and there is no clip or pin.  i've searched until I can't see straight and can't find anything specific on these, I'm hoping someone on here will have some personal experience with them.

thanks

Essex door handles have a threaded pot metal part that surrounds the shaft. This part has a 5/8 or 11/16 square head that is used to unwind the part. This part holds the handle in. Be very careful as the pot metal usually breaks under pressure. There are brass replacements available if needed

Lewis Mendenhall 

Essex 6 Technical Advisor

Hudson, Essex, Teraplane Club

0B3CC7FB-C1AA-466A-91BB-9A7432C40E22.jpeg

Paulrhd29NZ is correct.  Actually the one shown in the photo is a 29 Hudson Biddle and Smart custom bodied car rose patterned handle.   They are even more ornate than the normal pine cone version. 

Geoff Clark, in the HET club has a source for the pot metal parts. The replacements are brass.  geoffclark@xtra.co.nz