Speedo & Tach Pointers

Curti

9 hours ago, Curti said:

Is there anyone that has the ability to reproduce old Stewart Warner speedometer and tachometer needle pointers? 

Any clockmaker. Not much different to clock hands. In fact, pretty basic compared to some clock hands.

These are "off the shelf", but a clockmaker can make some identical to yours, except not broken!

http://www.m-p.co.uk/muk/parts/chap06/american-calendar-hands-2-12inch-unbushed-0521025015.htm

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

If you have no success my youngest son can certainly help you.   You can produce items like this either by a home made computer controlled miniature milling machine, or by precision etching with a protective mask.        ( Did I meet you through Paul Freehill, after Auburn and the Glidden Tour in 1980 ? .   Ralph Buckley took me to see Fred Hoch,  and Fred insisted and arranged that I should meet Paul; even though people at Auburn said that it would not be convenient for Paul due to family medical problem.)       If certain problems are resolved, I hope to get to Hershey this year; and maybe meet people who are only names yet.

Like I said, a clock maker will make you some.

The old way is to cut it out using a jeweller's saw and fettle them with a file. Clock magazine articles about restorations show it as part of the job. Long clock hands often have the overhang at the non-pointy end as a counterbalance. I showed a simple hand from a supplier as a sample of the type of thing used in clocks. Just get some made. Finding a clock maker will be the hardest part.

I believe I have a contact who has a boat load of NOS pointers with the shafts installed.  I already have had the Borg clock hands lasered out very economically .  If push comes to shove I can get the pointers lasered out and the shafts machined. I suspect there is such a thing as a jewelers lathe. 

23 hours ago, Curti said:

I suspect there is such a thing as a jewelers lathe

Probably same as a clock makers lathe, or perhaps a watch makers lathe. For clock hands, the process would be to cut and fettle the shape them make a suitable collet to fit to the hand for mounting on the shaft. Leave the shaft and get a hand made to fit it. Hour hands are usually a friction fit on the hour pipe while minute hands are attached on a square or similar with a pin or screw.