1949 chrysler windsor timing

mikeyz123

Your timing should be set to 2 degrees before top dead center.

The vibration damper has marks on it. You line the marks up with the pointer. Static timing involves setting up the timing marks then adjusting the distributor so the points are just opening. This can be done with a simple 6 volt test light connected across the points, or even a cigarette paper between the points.

With a timing light you do the adjustment with the engine idling. Shine the light at the pointer and adjust the distributor until the pointer lines up with the 2 degree mark. The vacuum advance should be disconnected and plugged.

Turn the distributor clockwise to retard, anti clockwise to advance the timing.

With today's gas you can advance the timing for more power and better mileage. Just don't advance so far that it pings on a hard pull.

There is another method that can be used. There is a pipe plug on the cylinder head above the #6 piston. You can take out this plug and drop a screwdriver down the hole, and feel the piston come up to TDC as you turn the engine by hand. Chrysler made a special tool, C-435 to set the timing this way. Not for the home mechanic unless you have the special tool or a dial indicator. If you prefer this method, set timing with the piston .002" before TDC.

11 hours ago, mikeyz123 said:

Hey guys, curious as to how to adjust timing on my Chrysler Windsor, i bought a timing light and i know i have to do something with the harmonic balancer, but how do i know when its at 0 degrees.

You will probably need a 12v power source to operate your timing light, assuming your Windsor is 6v.

True TDC can be done with a piston stop.

I used an old spark plug, gutted it and ran a small long screw thru it.

Manually turn the # six piston up till it touches the stop, mark the balancer then manually turn the engine backwards until it hits the stop and mark the balancer again.

Midpoint between these two marks will be true TDC.

Not uncommon for a balancer to be off a bit.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)