B Jake Moran

Craigs List Ads No Longer Free

Posted (edited)

I don't know if anyone noticed but Craigs List is now requiring a $5 fee to place ads.  Just in the last 4 days, I have seen hundreds of cars previously on craigs list drop off.

I typically put my searches in as 1900 to 1981, Cadillac or fill in the blank.  Sometimes I use a service called AutoTempest. I also put similar search criteria in.  In either case, most of the cars that were there a week ago are no longer listed.

Including dealership ads were the dealer seemed to "add" a new "ad" every day driving me nuts. I have to guess CL has seen at least 50% or more of their free ads go away.   $5 is surely not much. I ponied up to get my 2000 Eldorado on CL.  Remember the old days when a newspaper classified would be $15 for two lines for 2-3 days? 

I personally am thankful they went this route. When something is completely free, it's sometimes not a good tool. Meaning you would see nearly worthless ads on CL with 1-2 poor photos and virtually no description, yet the car "might" be worth checking out. Now maybe a seller has to try a bit harder to sell a car if they will have to pay and provide yet another 3rd party with CC information.  Again, it's still really cheap to list a car, but when it's free, there is even less incentive to create an informative ad. 

I have seen some ads that have been on CL for four years simply vanish. In that regard, when I use search tools like Auto Tempest and type in criteria that would have yielded 40 + cars before, now I am seeing 5-6.  Meaning at least with free ads, a light was being shined into the dark corners of the hobby and cars of interest or curiosity were being offered for sale.  Will we see this cause another door to close on the hobby, where sellers simply say no to providing C.C. information to a ubiquitous 3rd party? 

Again, I was truly amazed at the drop off of car ads. I am sure if there were 100,000 ads on C.L. two days ago, now there are 40,000 or less. 

Edited by B Jake Moran (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks for the heads up! I never had any luck with craigslist myself. It just seemed to attract way too many bottom feeders

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I am not seeing any fees for posting on my local Craigslist. Just to test, I reposted an old ad then deleted it. Nothing came up regarding a fee. 

All right, I am seeing the $5 now. It appears to be only in the Cars+Truck category. No fee in the Motorcycles category yet. And yes, I am seeing fewer vehicles come up in a search. :(

Edited by AzBob
Additional information. (see edit history)

I noticed that as well.  I don't have any cars for sale so I hadn't realized they were charging but my search results went from 3 pages a day to 3 days worth on one page.  That would make sense.  

19 minutes ago, AzBob said:

I am not seeing any fees for posting on my local Craigslist. Just to test, I reposted an old ad then deleted it. Nothing came up regarding a fee. 

Just checked Prescott Cl and to place an ad in Cars for sale, is $5.   Not a big deal.  I put 2 ads on there (Des Moines CL) a week ago, and unlike in the past when you could ask to bring them to the top, I never got that option then this morning they had "expired" after one week.  Definitely a change, and all of those free ads, some running for several years, are gone.  We will see in the next few weeks if people "agree" it's still a good way to sell a car, and come back or just how cars will be marketed.

On Des Moines CL, typing in Cadillac 1900 to 1981, last week I had 9 hits.  This week - nada - none.   

The fee is only for Used Car for sale ads. All other ads are still free.  

They started charging for "Services Offered", skilled trades, last year. I used to run ads occasionally for electric side work. That was the end of it for me

Me too..

auto roundup magazine is still free for one ad.. online..

ppp.jpg

I think tht it will prove to be good in the long run. It got rid of a lot of $5000 cars with $20,000 price tags already which is a good thing. 

• Like 1

I just ck'ed my CL and there are no cars that are trash on there any more. Only cars that either run or could be driven with little work.

I guess the days of putting up the entire junk yard one at a time are gone.  🖖

2 hours ago, Roger Walling said:

I just ck'ed my CL and there are no cars that are trash on there any more. Only cars that either run or could be driven with little work.

I guess the days of putting up the entire junk yard one at a time are gone.  🖖

It will clear out all of the free ads. Then, there will be a lull and we will see if some of the cars come back, trickle in or are gone forever.  The $5 gets you 30 days.   I know it was abused by some.  I saw a 57 Buick Super 2 door hardtop on my Iowa craigs lists for 3 + years, never a reduction in price and any communication with the seller resulted in a rude response.  I was actually amazed he remembered to keep renewing it for 3 years.  

The dealers were the worst.  Or some sellers that would put the same car same ad on a CL 10 times.  But, as I mention, they will go in and see their ads ended, and then go to renew and see the $5 charge. In 4 weeks, we may see many cars filled in, but not all.  Then, I think there might be some market correction in that asking prices will drop, not be so unreasonable.  As others have said, there was plenty of fishing on CL because it was free.  Why not ask $15,000 for a $2,000 car and see if you can nab someone?

• Like 2

They may have shot themselves in the foot though.  It takes buyers and sellers to make a marketplace.  If I know not much is posted on there I'll stop looking.  Regardless of the quality of the car some people are cheap and won't pay the 5.00 or may be the type of guy that doesn't pay for anything on line out of fear of losing their identity or getting ripped off.  You will lose that segment of people listing,  often the type if guys we bought from. 

Their competition, Facebook Marketplace, is free. I think Facebook could deliver a knockout blow with a better search engine for Marketplace. 

• Like 3

If you are into buying and selling. You will still look at CL. Just like you will still look at other sources. Fewer cars listed means yours will stand out. If ads were free, and now 50% of the ads are gone. The company is making more money from the other 50%, than it has ever made. Some guy named Jim will start a Jim's list, and it will be the next best thing. After a few years Jim will charge $7.50, because Craig is getting away with $8.95 now. This will cause a lot of anger in the car world. A guy named Bernie will start Bernie's list. And pay car owners $5.00 to list their cars. And in peoples excitement/joy, and still having a lot of anger towards Jim and Craig for what they did. Everyone will flock to Bernie's list. What no one knows is, Bernie put  some legal wording in his "Terms of use" section. That most people failed to read in their joy/excitement. This allows Bernie to take ownership of their cars. People do catch on, and protest by listing old manure spreaders and Yugo's. This forces the shut down of the site.:lol:

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

I have great results with CL. Probably did over 100k in sales for the last 10 years. And have bought cars at great deals. 5 will not change for me.

Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)

The cars are just moving to different sections.  Under "barter" the shadier  car lots are advertising For Sale or Partial Trade.

The little guys selling 10 year old cars on the side are listing all over C.L,. under antiques, car parts,  rant and raves etc.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Back at the turn of the century I started making websites with HTML or XML and used Cute FTP to build and update. At one time, until I got caught I was creating a Apache directory to host my own pictures for Ebay sales. I was getting half a million hits with basically a hobby account.

This year I am setting up some user accounts for MySQL databases. I have to revamp everything. I am shifting to Cpanel and using PHP to interface browsers. This is going to treble my basic costs. And I may get an increase if I decide to shift my hosting to Microsoft Azure. All that stuff costs more.

Do you ever look at the piles of stuff you have accumulated (you know, the piles that fall over when you try to get something) and think "I'd sell it all for $1 per item and be happy" Those small amounts do build up.

To Craigslist, I haven't had much experience with bottom feeders. They already have what I am selling. I just ask more because of the better pictures, cleaning the stuff off, not leaving air cleaners on the seat or trash on the floor. Oh yeah, the big one, I haven't sold a car that was sunk into the ground, but if I did I would move it before taking pictures.

Selling.jpg.f0cd2c5d17a3bbfa517a93c5c00e75ae.jpg

PS: That finger point for emphasis is not just a Bernie Sanders thing, all Bernies do it.

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Peter S said:

Their competition, Facebook Marketplace, is free. I think Facebook could deliver a knockout blow with a better search engine for Marketplace. 

Peter S -

You are probably correct but here is my issue - I hate Facebook and social media in general. I have tried to join Facebook and fail. I understand from my wife I am on, but when I go to "sign in" I can't.   CL has no entrance requirement.  A fairly large sampling of CL ads were put there by Millennials for their aging parents or grandparents that have little use for social media. 

A Reatta forum member posted a rare Reatta for sale from Lansing Michigan "Facebook marketplace."  I went in and tried to find it and failed miserably. CL however, is easy to access, search and find -  or it was in it's glory years.  I have no issue with the $5 charge, but if Facebook Marketplace is the next free marketplace, I think it's traffic will not reach CL traffic. 

I just use the facebook marketplace under my wife's account she set up to show pics of the kids.  We don't share anything else about our life on there.  Just made it easier for relatives to see pics of the kids without trying to email them all to them which half the time couldn't be opened.  

I find actually almost as much stuff on there now as Craigslist and that even includes the stuff craigslist still allows you to sell for free.   If they refined their search like Craigslist did,  I think they would see a huge hit. 

If it is owned by ebay,  then the fees explain it.  Ebay is like the Gov't they didn't see a way to impose a tax/ fee on anything they didn't like.  Even it it was morally wrong,  like tacking on fees to shipping that is at cost so the seller loses and not refunding fees when sellers refund overage of shipping. 

I also didn't mid wading through the junkers.  Really how long did it take to run through 3 pages of ads?  Often I found something intriguing and I'll bet you something you won't see listed any more.  It's amazing how even the tiniest charge will make people think twice.  Just look at the porta cans at Hershey.  I'll gladly tip the guy .50 or even a 1.00. to use them but I bet there are guys that have a hard time parting with that shiny nickel even when they really have to go. 

18 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

I bet there are guys that have a hard time parting with that shiny nickel even when they really have to go. 

Bib overalls with a snap open leather change purse in the bib pocket. It was one of them sitting in the Chocolate field annex that stopped me in my tracks. I thought "That guy can't have a single red corpuscle in his whole body!"

Grandpa Jim O'Brien used to say "A fool and his money soon parted, paid a nickle to something, something, and only something else" How did that go....

Bernie, I would pay $5 just to continue to see your posts here. You are one of the AACA's hidden gems with equal doses of wisdom, humor, and plain old WTF? that I love. Keep doing it, good sir!

6 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

Bib overalls with a snap open leather change purse in the bib pocket.

The snap-open leather change purse wore out and has been replaced by a squeeze-to-open soft plastic change purse

• Haha 1