If I blow into the tube it does whistle straight away. Does anyone know what this belongs to? Possibly a Stanley steemer? For what though? I can't find any images or any info on it

IMG_20190422_073015.jpg

IMG_20190422_073010.jpg

IMG_20190422_073032.jpg

IMG_20190422_073022.jpg

That is a strange thing. I can't place it on any steam vehicle. It looks like some sort of alarm/signaling device and it was a novelty of some sort?

Possibly an early deer whistle to alert deer of the approaching car or motorcycle. That would be my guess.

-Ron

59 minutes ago, JFranklin said:

Radiator cap whistle alarm mascot?

Yeah that makes more sense. Maybe a rubber hose from the over flow on the cap?

-Ron

1 hour ago, JFranklin said:

I think it is shaped the way it is so it spews only steam.

Steam gauges have a loop like that called a "siphon". It's purpose is to hold water and insulate the gauge from the heat of the steam. Long story, but they generally aren't needed as the line to a steam gauge is dead ended and without flow, heat can only travel a short distance. I have a steam powered tugboat and there is a steam gauge up in the wheelhouse "by the book" I added the siphon and it was a waste of time and money, that line stays cold.

-Ron

DSCF1103 (Medium).JPG

A wonderful puzzler ! Is the coiled tube threaded into the threaded tube with the nuts ? How could the nuts be used unless it came apart ?