100k scheduled maintenance - timing chain

Maui Blue

I've searched all over but I haven't been able to find the recommended service / replacement interval for the timing chain in my 1990 Reatta. I know the car received both the 30k and 100k service at the dealer but I haven't been able to find out just what the service elements are and whether or not they included replacement of the timing chain.

Thanks for any assistance. . 

As far as I know there is no service interval for the timing chain. The Red had 260,000 and never changed the chain. When we took it apart after doing the engine swap it was pretty loose. The Black has over 300,000 on the car but about 200,000 on the engine [second one] and haven't swapped it out and probably won't as I plan on one last winter and then get rid of it. The 'vert has 120,000 and still seems fine.

So my opinion is until you get the code 041 I would leave it be. When that happens do the magnet, sensor and chain.

I agree with Dave about no recommended service interval for the timing chain. If you had a 88 I would do them at 100K. Mine had 110 on it when I did mine. 88's have a small  timing chain tensioner from factory that was revised in 89. On my car the tensioner was shot and chain had lots of slack in it. I installed the revised tensioner which has a much larger contact  surface then the small one. 

10 hours ago, Dashmaster said:

I agree with Dave about no recommended service interval for the timing chain. If you had a 88 I would do them at 100K. Mine had 110 on it when I did mine. 88's have a small  timing chain tensioner from factory that was revised in 89. On my car the tensioner was shot and chain had lots of slack in it. I installed the revised tensioner which has a much larger contact  surface then the small one. 

Thanks.  I sure do learn a lot from this forum.  I will surely replace my tensioner in my 88 with the 89 version.