Replacing Parts.?

Cokekid

I was wondering what everyone does when rebuilding their V12 Engines. regarding Nuts, Bolts & Washers. Do you use the old ones or buy new parts.?

If new parts are bought, What are the names of the Vendors you use.?

Gerry 

Actually when rebuilding or just cleaning up and repairing I prefer to use stainless steel screws, bolts, nuts, washers, etc. to cut down on the rust.  Original manufacturers other than perhaps Italian high end vehicles didn't use them because of cost, and you weren't supposed to keep a vehicle long enough for it to rust.  We have a nut & bolt house here and they carry most sizes.  You can probably find stainless steel ones in  your area if you search around some.  And remember most automotive bolts are fine threads, but certainly available.  Probably on line too!   It's cheap insurance of your ride not rusting up and easy to remove any part of it with stainless steel hardware!   You can paint them to match the location on your vehicle, so no one knows they are upgraded.  I used stainless steel nuts on my heads and then capped them with chrome plated caps to give them a custom look without really deterring from the value and keeping it original!

It depends upon what you want to do with the car. If you want to have it judged by the LZOC or the Early Ford V-8 Club, you should replace corroded fasteners with ones of the correct design and finish. If you just want a nice looking driver, follow Ray500's advice or just clean and paint the nuts and bolts with a finish that is close to the original plated or blued finish. Just make sure that you are comfortable with the end result.

You should plan on replacing the studs with correct studs and head nuts with new correct nuts. The studs are probably corroded and may leak coolant or stretched and may not give even and correct torque.

Most of the correct bolts could be bought from Roy Nacewicz Enterprises ( http://fordscript.com/ ), but Roy died last Thursday and the business is not taking orders at this time.

I save all the bolts and other items in the restoration of my vehicle, and I checked the old bolts and they have no inscription or label on them what so ever.  So the new bolts I put in different places look the same.  But they won't rust in the future making it easier to work on things.  Perhaps the Ford bolts are different from the Lincoln ones.  The only way you can tell is if you use a magnet to check whether a bolt is ferrous metal or stainless.  

Ray, I did not mean to disparage your restoration efforts, I just wanted the point out that a good judge will deduct points for incorrect fasteners on the LZOC and Early Ford V-8 Club Concourse. If I offended you please accept my apology.

You are obviously pleased with the results of your restoration and I would not like to do or say anything to disparage it. I would like you to enjoy driving and showing your car, because I enjoy seeing a nice restoration.

I have been involved in the hobby for more than 40 years and my cars have been in display only, touring and Concourse class at different times. I enjoy seeing the cars and talking to the owners and spectators.

Edited by 19tom40 (see edit history)

Ray500,19tom40

The info you both supplied is what I was hoping for. I have a seized engine in the car and the rebuilt engine I bought came  without any bolts, nuts and washers. I was able to buy the necessary bolts,  nuts and washers for the heads and exhaust manifolds from a Vendor but nothing else . When I decide to  install the engine I need to buy everything else that needs to be installed. That's why I was asking if I should use the nuts & bolts from the seized engine.

I also have no plans to have the car judged, but to  just drive and enjoy it. 

I have gone to different places to buy what I need but were I live nobody here has what I need. I might just take a few days and drive down to  Roy Nacewicz Enterprises  shop and pick up what I need.

Thanks