1916 Hudson Cabriolet

Jim Pershing

No way of knowing since we cannot see into everyone's garage. Some may tell you how many were made or there are so many in a club or so many known to exist, but nobody knows how many are left unknown, languishing.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hi Jim. Welcome ! Are you on the trail of one ? One of our most knowledgeable and active members here, Marty Roth, has a 1915 Hudson Six-40 7 passenger phaeton wich he tours. Tell us more about yourself and your cars. Oh : and it is always a good idea to title a thread with a clue to the content. For example "1916 Hudson cabriolet info ?" could work. You'll catch on. Stay with us, and please let us know why you ask. Great old cars like that generate lots of interest in AACA.    -   Carl 

Carl,

Thanks for the welcome.  You are correct I am on the trail of one.  A quick Google search has only revealed some period ads with the Cabriolet but no actual photographs or video of one. I am trying to find out production numbers and if there are any others out there so that I may communicate with the owner(s).

Can't be more than a handful of cabriolets left but being the first year of the famous Super Six engine they are quite collectable, broadly there would be more examples in other body styles. Folks familiar with these cars would be found in the Hudson-Essex-Terraplane club. 

You might have tried this already, but the Hudson-Essex-Terraplane Club maintains separate registries for surviving cars of different years and models.  The guy in charge of the 1916 - 1920 Hudson, is Aaron Cooper, at xxxancoop@gmail.com (delete the xxx before sending).  You might ask him.  Of course, the registries only list those cars whose owners bother to send them in the the registrar (or who have listed their cars when joining or renewing membership).  As to the actual production numbers of different models and body styles, sadly, these were all thrown out when Hudson merged with Nash to form American Motors, back in 1954.

23 hours ago, Jim Pershing said:

Carl,

Thanks for the welcome.  You are correct I am on the trail of one.  A quick Google search has only revealed some period ads with the Cabriolet but no actual photographs or video of one. I am trying to find out production numbers and if there are any others out there so that I may communicate with the owner(s).

Here's a link to a photo of one - says it's the only one left in the world:

https://www.greatrace.com/news/jeff-stumbs-hudson-super-six-is-alive-again.html

And here's a link to what appears to be the same car with top up (scroll down page) - note it has removable glass quarter windows:

https://cbc.hetclub.org/HudsonHistory.htm

And here's the factory brochure - note no quarter windows; must have been added when car went into production:

1121673305_1916HudsonSuper-Six-14.thumb.jpg.3a4791b87b8e1a83c57b050b9e1a07d9.jpg

CHudWah,

Thanks for the info.  I am certainly not an expert, but the car I am looking at does not have quarter windows.  I found an engraving of a 1917 Hudson Cabriolet that does have quarter windows.  Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

For what it is worth, there was a collector near Grand Rapids Michigan that had (has?) a 1916 Hudson Cabriolet. I saw it probably 10-15 years ago, not sure if he still has it or not. I recall it being red'ish and black. It was an old repaint of a solid original car. I'm almost certain it had a folding top with landau bars like the original advertisement pictured above. At the time, he probably had 50 cars in his barn and most were for sale with exception of this Hudson. The owner was well known in this area and everyone called him  "Easy Russ". However, dealing with him  was anything but easy!!!  It was a really neat car.

Unfortunately, I don't have a photo of this car, but if you show a photo of the car you are inquiring about I can probably tell you if it is this same car or not.

Edited by motoringicons (see edit history)

Here's a photo of the car which its owner says is the only remaining 1916 cabriolet (CHudWah posted this previously):

https://www.greatrace.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/gr2005_gs_stage02_0084.jpg

And here's a low-resolution enlargement of that view of the car whose link CHudWah, also posted.  My apologies.  I published the website with that photo, way back in the 1990's before I understood how to publish crisp photos. 

Bell16--large.gif

The car was entered into the 2005 Great American Race and had to drop out because of a thrown rod.

Here is the car (or a similar one) that was for sale in California in 2009.

https://content.invisioncic.com/r277599/monthly_06_2009/post-61964-143138082903_thumb.jpg

And here is a link to a video of the car by its owner (in 2014), Jeff Stumb:

https://youtu.be/bjfh_xiV51U