Kissel or Daniels ?

LCK81403

I live in western Colorado. Would very much like to spend quality time with either (or both) a Kissel Gold Bug speedster, or a Daniels speedster. I would like to observe details, measurements, and take digital photography. 

Is there a owner of such a Kissel or Daniels closer to me than the Kissel museum in Wisconsin, who would be kind enough to permit my reconnaissance mission?  If not, I know where the Kissel museum is, even though I have not been there. 

I have no idea where to locate a Daniels. The general automobile styles I hope to inspect are 1924 Kissel and 1921 Daniels, although not necessarily the specific cars in the attached photos. I am interested in the body styles, dimensions, and integration of components.

24 Kissel 01.jpg

21 Daniels D-19 Submarine Speedster 01-16.jpg

I have only seen one Daniels and it was a touring on a tour in Northwest Ohio about 6-7 years ago. The owner was named Daniels and had a construction company with same name in the Tiffin, Ohio area. Very neat car and held his large young family easily. I believe he inherited it from his father. 

Tom Muth

Dear LCK81403,

There was a beautiful Daniels Speedster, circa 1921-ish, at the Meadowbrook Concours several years ago. They would have the owners contact info. Only one I’ve seen. Daniels’ lines are very similar to Kissel Gold Bugs but didn’t have weird suicide seats and all Daniels were eight cylinder.

I have nine complete Kissels, mostly running and eight parts car piles and Kissel engines. Mine are 1918 thru 1927, including three 1923s, a 1924, and a 1925. You are welcome to schedule a trip to Detroit where the cars are. Airport is a Delta hub and is easy to access. There are also two other award-winning Kissel Gold bugs owned by other lucky Kissel owners nearby, a 1925 model 6-55, and a 1927 model 8-65.

Below are pics of the 1918, 1921,  three 1923s, and 1924.

Thanks,

Ron 

DF20F8B4-F3E7-4BFA-95B6-190C5461E89A.jpeg

D63D496F-E1A7-4063-B040-10D975DECBD4.jpeg

D617ACEB-0BA6-4A9A-A1AF-256CC0F0BB91.jpeg

D014760D-51A6-4A64-A82B-C9111CE561FF.jpeg

588F16EB-8094-4039-A38A-2EE478A09C63.jpeg

3C0FADDC-77E8-4814-9403-93194626ADF5.jpeg

• Like 3

Thank you, one and all for the posted replies.  I appreciate your effort.  It looks like Denver is my closest encounter for a Kissel.  I have had the hots for a Kissel for many years, ever since I road in the rumble seat of a Gold Bug on a Fall Foilage tour in Minnesota, back about 1966 or so. I was back home from the Army at that time.  At that time that beautiful yellow Kissel belonged to Mr. and Mrs. Johnson, of Cokato, Minnesota.  I finished college in 1969 and immediately hired on with The Company.  In 1972 I returned from an overseas assignment and met up with the Johnson's again.  At the time they had the Kissel and a beautifully restored Rickenbacher roadster for sale.  The price was $7,500 for both cars.  The only problem -- I was married and we only had exactly $7,500 in the bank.  I try not to think about "the one that got away."  As compensation I ended up with a 1935 Terraplane four door sedan at a price of $300.  The Terraplane was 100 percent original, from the original owner, and it had the original battery, tires, World War Two ration stickers on the windshield, and it had 24,000 original miles.  The attached photo was taken in a park in Waconia, Minnesota.

35 Terraplane 01-01.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hmmm.  I have not seen a Daniels touring car like that.  I surely doesn't have nearly the same glitz as the '21 D-19 "Submarine" speedster.  The Daniels had a 130 inch wheelbase, which makes it appear longer than a similar Kissel.  The hood on the Daniels appears to be long enough to cover a straight 8 engine.  When the hood is open the V-8 looks like it has plenty of space in the roomy engine compartment.

21 Daniels D-19 Submarine Speedster 01-16.jpg

21 Daniels D-19 Submarine Speedster 08-16.jpg

Hmmm.  Port holes in the hood of a Daniels?  I do not have many examples the Daniels speedsters, but I am not familiar with port holes in the hood.  Where are the holes located.  Do you have a photo?

53 minutes ago, LCK81403 said:

Hmmm.  Port holes in the hood of a Daniels?  I do not have many examples the Daniels speedsters, but I am not familiar with port holes in the hood.  Where are the holes located.  Do you have a photo?

The post holes were on the sides of the Daniels touring hood  I saw at the Bennington, Vt. meet 25 or so years ago. Car was a pale green or gray, Photos are long ago buried. Bob