Hamptons1

New Tool questions

20 hours ago, 39BuickEight said:

Klein lineman pliers

aka electrician's hammer.😁

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

aka electrician's hammer.😁

He was an electrician.  He used those things at work 40+ hours a week for 30 years and at home restoring cars, working on lawnmowers, anything that required grabbing or cutting something.  I use them now with pride.

I think I have those same type of pliers, belonged to my father. Impressive. No slop in the hinge. The jaw grooves still sharp. The cutting edges undamaged and sharp.

I was a high school kid in '47 and worked part time as a grease monkey in a one-stall do-everything shop at a gas station.  When my boss went out of business he swept a pile of tools up on the floor and told me to take any I wanted.  I'm still using Bonney, Proto, Williams, Craftsman, Herbrand and Vlchek wrenches from that pile.  The Craftsman 1/2" ratchet I got was prewar, and broke in '52.  Sears gave me a new one which I'm still using.  The quality of Craftsman tools and exchange policies are iffy today.  I returned a 3/8 ratchet that broke to Sears and instead of exchanging it the clerk made me wait around for a half hour while he put a new part in it, and guess what..... it broke too.

A large antique shop or mall in Springfield, Ohio has a huge assortment of used tools that are very reasonable. A lot of nice Craftsman tools, hammers, screwdrivers, files and misc. I cleaned out my chest box and found I had 42 screwdrivers! You can't have enough tools.