New Tool questions

Hamptons1

Thinking of purchasing some new tools. I currently have SK Wayne sockets ,ratchets etc. Wrenches are craftsman. I have had these tools for over 50 years.

Building a new tool box for my new shop. What would be your choice? Kobalt from Lowes or craftsman ?Maybe something else if you suggest it.

Thanks for your advise.

13 minutes ago, TerryB said:

SK, Matco, Snap-On come to mind for really good tools.  Old Craftsman was good in the day.  Good reliable tools don’t come cheap.

What he said.

Take a look at your tools, pick them up and notice how they feel in your hand, note the sharp edges and the finish. Now - go to Lowes or any other big box store and pick up a Kobalt, or  "new" Craftsman.  See how they feel in your hand,look at the edges and think how tightly they will grip a nut, turn the ratchet mechanism and see how smooth it is or isn't....

Then find someone with SK, Matco, Snap-on etc and feel the difference. If you buy new you need to pay the price for quality. I gave up on new (except in emergencies where I needed the tool right now) a long time ago. Try used tool stores, garage sales, auctions, etc. and you will find good used tools at reasonable prices that will last and feel good in your hand....

Edited by vermontboy
Add line (see edit history)

Don't get rid of your old stuff.....

My tools are a mixture of Snap-On, Matco, SK, Mac, etc. I have to agree that the cheap stuff isn't as good, but it is WAY better than it was just a few years ago. As recently as 25 years ago, cheap tools were generally unusable crap. The gap between cheap tools and real tools is disappearing. Harbor freight tools are made of good steel these days, and are nicely finished. Although IMHO nothing works quite as well, or fits bolt heads as tightly as Snap-on/Matco/Mac/SK, Harbor freight wrenches are good enough today you might even get away with using them in a professional setting. It would have been completely impractical to use cheap tools in a professional setting in 1990. Kobalt looks similar, but I haven't used them much.

Craftsman is not as good as it was. They are still good usable tools, but, sometimes a little too thick, sockets a little too recessed, and so on. The quality is variable. They are a far cry from 1990s Craftsman, let alone 1950s Craftsman.

If you are looking to build a new tool box, I suggest you look at abandoning your air tools and going the rechargeable route. I've almost completely switched over to Milwaukee M12 rechargeable tools and am very happy. They are a very good value for the money.

The tools work very well, don't weigh much, are quiet, and have proved to be reliable. The batteries don't take long to charge. Also, you can build your collection by purchasing just the bare tool itself, without having to pay for another battery and charger. You can run all day using a set of 3 batteries. 

For really stubborn bolts I plan on buying the Milwaukee M18 1/2 rechargeable impact wrench. 1,000 ft-lbs of fastening torque and 1,400 ft-lbs of unfastening torque.   

I've recently purchased a turbine air system to paint my cars, so my air compressor is now only used to fill tires - and I can get a rechargeable tool for that, too.

Your sockets and wrenches have served you well. Maybe you don't need to replace them, but just look for better ways to use them.

Oh, and replace all your garage lights with LED types. Twice as bright as fluorescents, with a kindler, gentler light. 

Although I wouldn't blame you for buying new sockets that have larger numbers etched onto them.  Why did they ever make it so hard to identify the socket size? 

Keep us informed on what you do.

P.S.  Although I am not a Snap-On fanatic, I have found that their screwdrivers are absolutely the best I have ever used. They grip like nothing else. You simply must buy a set. 

Edited by RansomEli (see edit history)

Those 50 year old Craftsman are the right vintage!  They are great. I use them, along with SK, Proto, Blackhawk, etc etc etc. Unless they are worn out, no need to replace those Craftsman. Especially with new Craftsman.

I like to buy Snap-On used (Ebay) if the price is good. If you make friends with the Snap-On truck, sometimes he/she sells used tools that they have repossessed. 

I really really really suggest buying the Snap-On flare nut wrenches. The RXS series combination open and flare nut. 

I do not understand spending $10K on a Snap-On tool box, when the Harbor freight ones work just as well! Note, coupons do not work with tool boxes.😁

I am not a fan of battery tools, I like air tools. I am tired of having to buy new battery tools every 10 years. Anyone want some Snap-On impacts and drills from 20 years ago? How about Milwaukee 12 volt drill or 18 volt impact? Junk today!  The pneumatic tools are doing just fine after 30 years! And if they fail, I get Snap-On to rebuild or replace. No such guarantee with their rechargeable tools!

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)
  • Like 2

In recent years I have been impressed by the quality of cheap tools for sale at my local Canadian Tire store. They are nicer than my 50 year old Craftsman tools.  I am not saying they are as good as Snap On but they cost about 1/10 as much, and are plenty good enough for a home hobbyist. I am sure they sell the same tools at chain stores in your area.

I have gathered up a Snap on battery drill, and 3/8 as well as a 1/2 impacts. Yes, I had to buy some batteries but talk about handy. (portable)

If I run the batteries until they are dead they last longer.

Not just screw drivers anymore.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Periodically I find that re-organizing  & cleaning out my tool boxes is in order.  Getting tools back in their 

designated spots improves my workmanship, it also reveals missing sockets or wrenches..  The main stash 

in in a rolling tool box under the main workbench with all the specialty tools.  There is another full set in a roll

around box near the lift and the car storage area that occasionally get contaminated with tools form the main

stash.   Once reconciliation is done, a list of MIA's is made and carried to swap shops and flea markets until

the MIA's are replaced with similar brands.   With 50 years of dependable service, why change?

Some of my specialty tools have my grandfathers initials on them.

16 hours ago, Dave Fields said:

I have never broken a Harbor freight socket or wrench.

Neither have I.

Never owned any.

I shy away from the lesser tools that cant be warranted (couldn't say if HF would replace a socket or single combination end wrench or not so don't shoot me).

I use may hand tools every day and I just like to know that most of my daily use tools are of good quality and will be replaced if broken.

• Like 1

I use snap on ratchets,wrenches and flex sockets.The 3/8 and 1/4 drive chrome sockets are a mixture of SK and Mac tool,all my impact sockets are Mac tool . Don't bother getting chrome 1/2 drive go with impact sockets and get a snap on swivel in the impact drive to get into difficult spots, no need to buy swivel impact sockets. Hope this helps. Cheers pete

What i think is getting sort of missed here is how much cheap tools have improved in recent years.

In the 1970s-80s-90s, cheap tools were unusable crap that was probably going to cause damage to whatever you were working on, and maybe injure you. Craftsman was expensive, but good enough to get some work done. Snap-on, Matco, and Mac were excellent, but completely out of reach for the average person. If you were missing some socket to get a job done, you might ask a few friends, ask yourself if you can really justify buying some weird size socket you might never use again, and then grudgingly scrape your pennies and go buy one Craftsman socket. Today there is a lot less change scraping, and you come home with a whole set of sockets, and best of all, they don't suck.

The current crop of Harbor freight wrenches, sockets, etc, are almost commercial grade. What do I mean by that? I mean they are real usable tools that fit correctly and usually don't break. They are as good as Craftsman was in the 80s, and they are finished better. Those of you who have not tried just don't know. If you were expecting the "tool sale" stuff of years past, you are in for a big surprise.

I have seen big rollaway toolboxes that look perfectly usable lately at places like Harbor Freight, Home depot, etc. that cost in the hundreds of dollars, not thousands. The whole landscape has changed. Everyone and his dog has a MIG welder today. Think about that for a minute.

Most of my tools are Snap-on, Matco, Mac etc. left over from my automotive career. Am I glad I kept them? Yes. Are they still noticeably better than the Harbor Freight stuff? Yes. Could I justify buying most of them for hobby use now? No.

• Like 2

Where are snap-On tools made today?? My 3/8 drive was replaced under warranty no problem. But would have been better if the ball was there to hold the socket. I phoned snap on to grumble about the shoddy quality and asked where it was made. She said they have different location's around the world and could not answer. I also notice the new ratchets do not say made in USA. Snap-On has already closed their factories in Canada and assuming are now moved to China. I have a fair amount of Snap-On but no longer buy it new.

3 hours ago, Bloo said:

I have seen big rollaway toolboxes that look perfectly usable lately at places like Harbor Freight,

I have three Harbor Freight roll around tool boxes. Plus a Craftsman and Snap-On. Might have to wait another 20 years for a fair comparison, but so far the HF ones are great! I do not roll them around, all of them stay in place.

I have some craftsmen from the 50's I inherited plus a huge mix of stuff I bought in the 80's and have added too for 30 years.  A little bit of everything. And lets not forget the "cheapo" Taiwan yard sale specials used for once in a while shop made tools of grinded down sockets and heated and bent box and open end wrenches.  They all work or follow my fathers tradition of getting chucked over the fence with a few choice cuss words from a busted knuckle.   Quite the collection buried over there.

Mine are the ~$350 a set  and the ~$600 a set roll arounds. 

Note at the high end Harbor Freight  has $1000 + boxes!  A far cry from the $150 boxes.....😲

I too bend, weld and grind cheaper tools into needed tools.👍

Pittsburg wrenches/tools from HF seem well made, look and work fine at about 1/10 the cost of Snap On. I had few thousand used bricks to clean so bought a $15 HF air chisel. The air unit itself held up fine but every once in a while the chisel itself would break. I'd take the chisel back to HF and they'd give me a whole new unit with no hassle. Every time I go to HF I end up buying tools I really don't need because they look so good at such a good price.................Bob

• Like 2

I have old Craftsmen and Stanley tools which I haven't had a problem with. Actually use the Stanley mostly because it has a carry case that keeps things organized. I believe that Stanley now owns Craftsmen Tools, not sure if the Craftsmen Name was part of the deal?

It's not where it's made it's what it's made from! Check out the link below for details. You won't find any high dollar tools(Snap On SK Mac Matco etc) made from all chrome vanadium. Harbor freight and other cheaper tool manufactures will use it. If you do some digging you can find out what a tool manufacture uses. There are all kind of different materials used but it comes down to cost to use quality metals or cheaper ones.  I think most of you have heard of Gear Wrench right? Well ever wonder where it's made? China! They are fairly well made tools for being made in China because of the material used to make them. Gear wrench tools also have a lifetime guarantee but i never had to use it. I think you need to send the damaged tool in for replacement. I recently bought their 239 piece set for under $200(on sale).https://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDisplay.cfm?lookup=KDT80942                  Cant beat it for the price and it's a good carry around set!

https://www.wonkeedonkeetools.co.uk/sockets-and-socket-sets/what-are-sockets-made-of/

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Picked up a trans jack at Harbor Freight.  Old-tank(Willie) had one for his Dynaflow transmission rebuild.  I decided to buy the same model for my 3 speed R and R.  Great jack for  $106.00.   It made installing the 3 speed easy.   Last time I did this I needed my brother in laws under the Buick with me to get the heavy 3 speed into the bell housing. Not this time. Jacked it into position and rolled into place.    

WcnWzcg.jpg       

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)

Thanks for making realize how old I am. Reading this I realized a lot of my wrenches/sockets etc are 40 year old craftsmans.  I am not one to spend huge amounts on my tools do I still purchase craftsman screwdrivers etc when I need them. And have always had good luck with Channel Lock, Crescent and Vise Grip as opposed to the cheap knockoffs. I am a hobbyists so I don't use these to make a living.

1 hour ago, erichill said:

Thanks for making realize how old I am. Reading this I realized a lot of my wrenches/sockets etc are 40 year old craftsmans.  I am not one to spend huge amounts on my tools do I still purchase craftsman screwdrivers etc when I need them. And have always had good luck with Channel Lock, Crescent and Vise Grip as opposed to the cheap knockoffs. I am a hobbyists so I don't use these to make a living.

I agree that hinged hand tools such as pliers, wire cutters, channel locks, vise grips, etc do suffer greatly when not name brand.  Off brands of these don’t grab or cut.  I have a pair of Klein lineman pliers than my dad bought in the 60’s that still work like they did when they were new.  They were his favorite single tool and now they are mine.

20 hours ago, 39BuickEight said:

Klein lineman pliers

aka electrician's hammer.😁

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

aka electrician's hammer.😁

He was an electrician.  He used those things at work 40+ hours a week for 30 years and at home restoring cars, working on lawnmowers, anything that required grabbing or cutting something.  I use them now with pride.

I was a high school kid in '47 and worked part time as a grease monkey in a one-stall do-everything shop at a gas station.  When my boss went out of business he swept a pile of tools up on the floor and told me to take any I wanted.  I'm still using Bonney, Proto, Williams, Craftsman, Herbrand and Vlchek wrenches from that pile.  The Craftsman 1/2" ratchet I got was prewar, and broke in '52.  Sears gave me a new one which I'm still using.  The quality of Craftsman tools and exchange policies are iffy today.  I returned a 3/8 ratchet that broke to Sears and instead of exchanging it the clerk made me wait around for a half hour while he put a new part in it, and guess what..... it broke too.

A large antique shop or mall in Springfield, Ohio has a huge assortment of used tools that are very reasonable. A lot of nice Craftsman tools, hammers, screwdrivers, files and misc. I cleaned out my chest box and found I had 42 screwdrivers! You can't have enough tools.