Dodge Dee 2

1936 Dodge parts - are they compatible ?

I am based in the UK and have a 1936 Dodge D2 . I have been offered some parts which I a told came from a  1938 Plymouth  in the UK . There is no engine  block or any other parts   The seller has sent me some photos below .I would like to know if they are compatible for my car .They are  

1. Carter  C -106 Carburetor 

2. Exhaust and inlet manifold 

3. Starter motor 

4. Gear box 

I currently don't really need then but if they are usable I can buy them relativity cheaply .

Thanks   Farrol

IMG_20190419_172147 c -106 -.jpg

IMG_20190419_172155 - c 106.jpg

IMG_20190419_172401 -.jpg

IMG_20190419_172407 -.jpg

IMG_20190419_172412-.jpg

IMG_20190419_172607-.jpg

IMG_20190419_172616.jpg

If your D2 has the handbrake on the back of the gearbox, the Plymouth box is a direct interchange according to The Hollander.

If your D2 was made in Canada, it has the same exhaust manifold as Plymouth '32-38. Assembly number is 651276. If it is assembly #651277, it is Dodge '34-38 only.

The Hollander does not indicate an interchange for the carburetor, although they are both 1.25" dia. carbs.

The starter motors interchange; it may fit without change otherwise some change may be required.

Expanding on the always accurate advice of Spinney, I can only say that your Dodge being made in Canada means that most likely all of the Plymouth parts will interchange. Does your Dodge have a manual choke? If so this manifold will likely be correct. US Dodges used a Sisson automatic choke which required a boss on the top surface of the exhaust manifold onto which it was mounted by screws. So no interchange between US Dodge and Plymouth manifolds. A US Dodge, model D2, would have also come with a Stromberg model 2EXV-2 (?) carb, instead of the inferior Carter Ball and Ball carburetor. There might be some issues other than these, but at the moment I can't recall any.

James Sheehan

Minneapolis MN

Thanks for both of your advice 

My Dodge was assembled in Australia  and has the  TJ Richards  initials embossed on the firewall , so not sure if Canadian or US . Will check numbers .It has a manual choke . My current carb is a Stromberg EXV2 and works very well 

What is the Hollander ?

1 hour ago, Dodge Dee 2 said:

My Dodge was assembled in Australia  and has the  TJ Richards  initials embossed on the firewall , so not sure if Canadian or US . Will check numbers .It has a manual choke . My current carb is a Stromberg EXV2 and works very well 

What is the Hollander ?

Brand name of a manual that lists which parts interchange on various cars

Chrysler Corp began making engines in Canada in 1938.  From then on there were differences between US and Canadian made motors. If your Dodge has the Canadian motor it will measure 25" at the cylinder head. US motor, 23 1/4"

5 hours ago, Dodge Dee 2 said:

My Dodge was assembled in Australia  and has the  TJ Richards  initials embossed on the firewall , so not sure if Canadian or US .

TJ Richards was an South Australian builder of bodies. And eventually bought by Chrysler.

8 hours ago, Dodge Dee 2 said:

What is the Hollander ?

If your car was a US made one, it would have the same carburetor, but with an automatic choke. There are bound to be differences, I guess. That Stromberg carburetor is a nice carb, although some have complained that there were some weakness issues with the casting. I guess that if yours came from the factory with a manual choke, then the Plymouth manifold should work.

Thanks for all your feedback 

Any insight on whether the gear box shown in photos is usable in my 36 Dodge  As the carb is manual I am assuming Canadian -  ?   The measurements Rusty gave for the block   25 "   vs 23 1/4  should help me identify 

On 4/20/2019 at 1:31 PM, Spinneyhill said:

If your D2 has the handbrake on the back of the gearbox, the Plymouth box is a direct interchange according to The Hollander.

If your D2 was made in Canada, it has the same exhaust manifold as Plymouth '32-38. Assembly number is 651276. If it is assembly #651277, it is Dodge '34-38 only.

The Hollander does not indicate an interchange for the carburetor, although they are both 1.25" dia. carbs.

The starter motors interchange; it may fit without change otherwise some change may be required.

Did 38 change hand brake from floor to under the dash? I know Chry did.

When I was a foolish seventeen year old I drove my '36 Plymouth coupe back and forth to school relying only on that robust floor handbrake for a couple of days. That's when an emergency brake was an emergency brake and not a parking brake!

I have attached a few photos  showing the hand brake in  relation to gear stick in the cab  and  under shots where you can prop shaft and handbrake  . Does this help identify if the Plymouth box is a direct interchange ?IMG_4256b.thumb.jpg.dab08d737f524dfb9f2801dafd6a43b8.jpg417683025_driveshaftHANDBRAKE.jpg.80d3b5b4708f2d38f506c4aafe5cf31a.jpgIMG_4253a.thumb.jpg.279c973d873db0cddaa548d3da429050.jpg

24 minutes ago, Dodge Dee 2 said:

Does this help identify if the Plymouth box is a direct interchange ?

See my post above. It would seem it does, if The Hollander is correct.